Old 03-04-2008, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default broadcast spreader repair

End of last fall season I acquired a used Scotts broadcast spreader
(at the curb on trash day). The rotating mechanism is corroded and
hard to turn. Yesterday I decided it's time to work on it and see if I
can get it to working condition again. I lubed all rotating joints and
the gear. It's at the point where I think the problem is at the hopper
where the driveshaft and the plastic meet and penetrating oil can't
(or hasn't) get in there. I gave it a brief try but didn't want to
force anything. Looks like there is a rolled pin and a collar with a
set screw. I lightly punched the pin and tried to unscrew the set
screw but neither budged. Anyone even taken this thing apart?
Old 04-04-2008, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Already put plenty of lubricating oil (machine oil) which is supposed
to have water displacing (WD) properties, but it's just not working
itself down the shaft. I guess you're right, back to the curb it goes.

On Apr 3, 1:34 pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 09:04:57 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
End of last fall season I acquired a used Scotts broadcast spreader
(at the curb on trash day). The rotating mechanism is corroded and
hard to turn. Yesterday I decided it's time to work on it and see if I
can get it to working condition again. I lubed all rotating joints and
the gear. It's at the point where I think the problem is at the hopper
where the driveshaft and the plastic meet and penetrating oil can't
(or hasn't) get in there. I gave it a brief try but didn't want to
force anything. Looks like there is a rolled pin and a collar with a
set screw. I lightly punched the pin and tried to unscrew the set
screw but neither budged. Anyone even taken this thing apart?

Give it a spray of WD-40. If that doesn't work it's not worth fixing
and it's time to take it back to the curb! Spreaders need to be
washed and rinsed after each use else the metal parts will quickly
corrode.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
End of last fall season I acquired a used Scotts broadcast spreader
(at the curb on trash day). The rotating mechanism is corroded and
hard to turn. Yesterday I decided it's time to work on it and see if I
can get it to working condition again. I lubed all rotating joints and
the gear. It's at the point where I think the problem is at the hopper
where the driveshaft and the plastic meet and penetrating oil can't
(or hasn't) get in there. I gave it a brief try but didn't want to
force anything. Looks like there is a rolled pin and a collar with a
set screw. I lightly punched the pin and tried to unscrew the set
screw but neither budged. Anyone even taken this thing apart?

You could try some very fine dry sand in the hopper and turn it to sand down the
rust in the hopper hole (Or - expand the hole) Maybe grab the shaft in the bin
with your drill chuck to work it loose.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. Never thought of using actual sand to
sand parts, only sand paper. But sounds like no one has tried to take
one apart, which would be my preferred way of restoring it. It's not
even about the money of buy a new one, I just thought I'd be doing
some good by reusing someone else's junk if it's just a matter of some
elbow grease.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Hmm, that's an interesting idea. Never thought of using actual sand
sand parts, only sand paper. But sounds like no one has tried to
take
one apart, which would be my preferred way of restoring it. It's not
even about the money of buy a new one, I just thought I'd be doing
some good by reusing someone else's junk if it's just a matter of
some
elbow grease.

Put some Liquid Wrench on the set screw and let it sit overnight, then
clean out the hole (I'm asuming it's an Allen or Philips) as best you
can (a Q-tip and some lacquer thinner would help here) so the
screwdriver doesn't slip on the Liquid Wrench, then see if the set
screw comes out. If it does then you can disassemble the thing and
clean and lube it properly. If in the course of it you bugger up the
set screw beyond economical repair then what have you lost, really?

On Apr 4, 12:54 am, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate