Old 20-04-2008, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Big, easy houseplants for bachelor idiot

Hi, I have a pothos as a houseplant, which I love, and I want to buy
some more house plants like it. So here's what I'm looking for:

1. Just green leaves, preferably not flower bearing. (Fruit bearing is
ok I guess.)
2. Durable- can withstand both cold and heat. I live in the northeast
USA.
3. Big. Like, I can buy big ones for cheap. How big- like 2 to 8 feet
tall.
4. My windows are north facing, get fairly good light in the summer
but not direct sunlight. Less light in the winter obviously.
5. (House plant, indoors, remember).

What are some more plants like that? Thanks,

dt
Old 20-04-2008, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Sansevieria and Aspidistra (Cast Iron plant) come immediately to mind.
Google is your friend. Try plugging "easy house plants" into the search and
you'll get lots of hits.

Val

Old 20-04-2008, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
Hi, I have a pothos as a houseplant, which I love, and I want to buy
some more house plants like it. So here's what I'm looking for:

1. Just green leaves, preferably not flower bearing. (Fruit bearing is
ok I guess.)
2. Durable- can withstand both cold and heat. I live in the northeast
USA.
3. Big. Like, I can buy big ones for cheap. How big- like 2 to 8 feet
tall.
4. My windows are north facing, get fairly good light in the summer
but not direct sunlight. Less light in the winter obviously.
5. (House plant, indoors, remember).

What are some more plants like that? Thanks,

dt

Aspidistra is as easy-care as they come. It does put out some blooms, but
it is grown almost exclusively a foliage plant. Some varieties of dracaena
would fit your requirements (especially the one sometimes called the "corn
plant"). Just don't overwater or overfertilize. Dieffenbachia is another
good choice.

MaryL

Old 21-04-2008, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:17:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi, I have a pothos as a houseplant, which I love, and I want to buy
some more house plants like it. So here's what I'm looking for:

1. Just green leaves, preferably not flower bearing. (Fruit bearing is
ok I guess.)
2. Durable- can withstand both cold and heat. I live in the northeast
USA.
3. Big. Like, I can buy big ones for cheap. How big- like 2 to 8 feet
tall.
4. My windows are north facing, get fairly good light in the summer
but not direct sunlight. Less light in the winter obviously.
5. (House plant, indoors, remember).

What are some more plants like that? Thanks,

dt

Heart-leaf philodendron (grown on a peat-moss pole)
Arrowhead (Nephthytis) (grown on a peat-moss pole)
Cast Iron plant (Aspidistra)
Peace lily
Mother-In-Law Tongue (Sansevieria or snake plant)

The peace lily will produce large white flowers and likes more water
than the others. Sansevieria over 10 years may produce dense and
fragrant flower stalks, although I have one over 25 years that has
never bloomed. The snake plant and philodendron are classic bachelor
plants and I have seen these two growing in the same pot. The pothos
and phildendron are different plants but are similar in
appearance/behavior. The cast iron plant is one of my favorites and
seems to thrive well on neglect; I have had one bloom and it appears
as a curious purple straw flower at the soil surface. None of these
plants can survive freezing temperatures, except the cast iron plant,
maybe.
Old 21-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Registered User

Hi there,

The cast iron plant is one of my favorites, I have had one bloom and it appears as a curious purple straw flower at the soil surface and seems to thrive well on neglect. It'd be worth putting it in a decent planter. Google "passion for pots" , they have a decent range.

Good luck Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Hi, I have a pothos as a houseplant, which I love, and I want to buy
some more house plants like it. So here's what I'm looking for:

1. Just green leaves, preferably not flower bearing. (Fruit bearing is
ok I guess.)
2. Durable- can withstand both cold and heat. I live in the northeast
USA.
3. Big. Like, I can buy big ones for cheap. How big- like 2 to 8 feet
tall.
4. My windows are north facing, get fairly good light in the summer
but not direct sunlight. Less light in the winter obviously.
5. (House plant, indoors, remember).

What are some more plants like that? Thanks,

dt

[IMG] code is On

Bachelor Button Ook Garden Photos 0 16-07-2007 01:57 AM
Good indoor plants for bachelor? [email protected] Gardening 9 29-04-2003 10:08 AM
Good indoor plants for bachelor? [email protected] Gardening 0 22-04-2003 02:20 AM
reverse osmosis idiot Ben Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 20-04-2003 06:14 AM
Is there a lawn guide for a complete idiot? chet Lawns 0 18-01-2003 06:09 PM