Old 01-05-2008, 01:20 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

Default Noisy squirrel in my attic. How do I get it out?

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
NapalmHeart wrote:

Beware. You mustn't shoot squirrels out of season or without a
license.

It all depends on the laws of your state. In my state (MI) you don't
need a license to hunt small game on your own land. Further, if an
animal is a pest it can be dealt with.

Hmm. Makes sense that the state would have facilities for relocating a
destructive deer or moose or even a mountain lion. They certainly do
it for alligators in Florida.*

So, call your state game and fish commission and demand they relocate
the pesky squirrel(s).

That's what your tax money if for (tell them)!

-------
*Though not Louisiana. I recall an interview with the governor of
Louisiana when a reporter suggested that animal preservation activists
were opposed to an open hunting season on alligators.

"Well, son, they don't know nothin' 'bout gators! We's lip-deep in
gators down here! They's lined up on the side of the interstate just
a-waitin' for somebody to have a flat! You gimme the names of some of
them folks up in Massachusetts or wherever and I'll SEND 'em some
'gators. We's got lots!"

Most likely thing here is that the destructive animal would be killed.
A rare animal may be dealt with otherwise, but not necessarily.

Ken

Old 01-05-2008, 02:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

Jack wrote:

On Apr 29, 9:48 am, wrote:

Hi folks,

I have an unwanted visitor in my old house. The door of attic is
sealed off with concrete and wood, I can't get in unless I drill it
open.

Inside is no light just the wooden roof frame and some old wood lying
around.

Now something is running around. We have lots of squirrels here. And
it sounds like one. Running fast and suddenly stopping. It wakes me up
in the morning when I would like to sleep.

What should I do? Did you ever had a squirrel in your attic? How did
you get rid of it?

There are these battery operated rodent repellents. They make a
certain high pitched noise and the rodent allegedly runs off. Does
this work also with squirrels?

Thanks in advance. You advice is highly appreciated.

Gene

If you can throw some mothballs around up there he will soon vacate
and you wont be bothered.

Get a cat. Mine catches squirrels that are almost twice his size.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Apr 30, 9:02*pm, Don Bruder wrote:
In article ,

*Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
http://www.broadcaster.com/clip/16925

ABSOLUTE GENIUS IN ACTION!!!!!

The only thing that could improve it would be a nice brick or concrete
block wall for a landing zone!

Nothing like a hard landing for the squirelly curmudgeon.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Apr 30, 2:22�pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
http://www.broadcaster.com/clip/16925

terrible cruel, guy is a jerk
Old 01-05-2008, 04:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:43:05 -0400, Neon John wrote:

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 04:04:42 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

Beware. You mustn't shoot squirrels out of season or without a license.

3S Rule.

Shoot, shove, shutup

I thought it was "Shoot, Shovel, Shutup" :-)

John

ooops....blush

Gunner

Old 01-05-2008, 08:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

Oh! When looking into this group I first saw a complaint of somewhone
about a woodchuck. Same tip for you: Read the description of a selb-
built smoke bomb at instructables.com. Basically a mixture of sugar
and saltpeter. Should smoke a lot - but beware of the smell!

Try it! Maybe you will be happy about having a squirrel. ;-)

virtuPIC
--
Airspace V - international hangar flying!
http://www.airspace-v.com
Old 01-05-2008, 11:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Apr 29, 7:46 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Or where other people find out about it.

The Montana Wolf Reduction Project credo may apply; SSS.

Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up.
-----

- gpsman
Old 02-05-2008, 01:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

wrote:
Or where other people find out about it.

The Montana Wolf Reduction Project credo may apply; SSS.

Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up.

That same credo is being applied here where the artificially imported otters
have absolutely stripped clean the Tellico River. It's heavily stocked during
the season but in the past, fishing was decent even in the off-season. Last
winter, by about January I couldn't chum any trout with anything I tried -
bread dough, corn, etc. The river was sterile. At the same time, the banks
were littered with dead trout that had only their brains and eyes eaten - an
otter hallmark. They kill fish even when they're not hungry, eat the tasty
part and waste the rest. But they sure do make good targets :-)

In this case, the creedo is "SKS"

Shoot, Kick, Shutup. That is, kick the carcass out into the river so it'll
float away and give the catfish and crawdads some fine eating.

Tip: CB caps in the .22 short format are almost silent when fired out of a .22
rifle. Even quieter than a pellet gun. All I hear is the hammer smacking the
firing pin and the bullet smacking home. Absolutely deadly to the otters.

John
--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com

Old 02-05-2008, 03:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

for launching rodents with cute tails? You've got to be kidding.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,misc.rural,alt.survival

wrote:
[...]

Don't you have .22 long rifle sub-sonics over there? That's what I have
always used (here in Oz) with a baffle style silencer for small game (and
neighborhood cats) when I wanted to be quiet. BRNO Model 2 with a twelve
inch Billet Baffle silencer, makes no more noise than snapping your
fingers. The sound of the firing pin hitting the cartridge is louder that
the actual shot.

I mostly use it for shooting rabbits (so the sound of the shot doesn't
spook the rest of them) and for killing cats. I have an intense dislike of
cats that are allowed to roam free and kill wildlife. The irresponsible
idiots who own them need a good hard kick up the arse on a regular basis. I
put strong smelling cat treats, sardines, tuna etc., out in my yard and
shoot every cat that comes over my fence. Either that or I put the bait
food in a metal dish on a rubber mat and wire one side of a 240 volt mains
lead to it. They make more noise when I electrocute them though, much
better to shoot them - a clean head shot and they make no sound at all.

JD - in Oz.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Fri, 2 May 2008 22:17:52 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

You the guy who wants to know what damage woodchuck do? Try being a farmer.

Skin 'em out, and cook 'em up... Baking bags work well (since they
tend to be kinda tough when they get older).

Retief
Old 07-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker25 View Post
On Apr 29, 10:48 am, wrote:
Hi folks,

I have an unwanted visitor in my old house. The door of attic is
sealed off with concrete and wood, I can't get in unless I drill it
open.

Inside is no light just the wooden roof frame and some old wood lying
around.

Now something is running around. We have lots of squirrels here. And
it sounds like one. Running fast and suddenly stopping. It wakes me up
in the morning when I would like to sleep.

What should I do? Did you ever had a squirrel in your attic? How did
you get rid of it?

There are these battery operated rodent repellents. They make a
certain high pitched noise and the rodent allegedly runs off. Does
this work also with squirrels?

Thanks in advance. You advice is highly appreciated.

Gene

Mothballs are a bust. I had one in my attic and he used the mothballs
for a pillow. Sprayed pepper spray in hole during day sealed access
hole with plastic and next morning he was back. Had to set large wire
animal trap every day for about two weeks with peanut butter. Tried
smaller wire trap and he kept getting bait. He got the bait out of the
large trap several times until I fine tuned the trigger and lubricated
it with WD-40.
Was going to shoot him in the face after I caught him but he stood up
on his hind legs held onto the cage like a convict and begged for his
life with quiet little woof sounds. Figured if he was that much of a
man I would relocate him. Closed up hole with temporary patch in case
he wasn't alone but have not had any new squatters. I have several of
the sonic wing dings but they are not effective.
Or even better .. rather than battling with an innocent creature you could have actually just sealed the hole!? The simplest solution is often the best ...
Old 11-05-2008, 10:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

wrote:

You the guy who wants to know what damage woodchuck do? Try being a farmer.

Skin 'em out, and cook 'em up... Baking bags work well (since they
tend to be kinda tough when they get older).

Retief

Is " Noisy squirrel in my attic" a metaphor for mental illness? :-))