Old 14-05-2008, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Garden Fence

Be careful what you wish for, so the adage goes. 90s for the Left Coast
through at least Sunday, says the weather guesser.

We are working hard out here to send you some heat Charlie.

I'd better go, I think I hear the garden waking up.
--

Billy
Old 15-05-2008, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

Uh oh, no blankets,windows open, and attic fan on last night.
80F this morning at 7 AM.

Weather guesser predicting 101F for in town. We always run a little
hotter.

Brace yourself Charlie;o)

Summer be a comin' in.
--

Billy
Old 15-05-2008, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Be careful what you wish for, so the adage goes. 90s for the Left Coast
through at least Sunday, says the weather guesser.

We are working hard out here to send you some heat Charlie.

I'd better go, I think I hear the garden waking up.

We've gotten two good downpours over two days. :-)
I'm HAPPY about that!
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 15-05-2008, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

This morning while walking in the gardens morning mist (it is
usually fog, but this morning it's steam), I came upon a recovering
cauliflower (pre-FePO4 treatment, gotta do it every 2 weeks) that
has purplish-orange eggs (one group of 3 and another of 7) on the
underside of its' leaves. Doesn't match description of cabbage
worms. Probably innocuous, right? Or is this where I bring out the
Sevin, flame throwers, and a tactical nu-clee-ar device?
--

Billy
Old 15-05-2008, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

This morning while walking in the gardens morning mist (it is
usually fog, but this morning it's steam), I came upon a recovering
cauliflower (pre-FePO4 treatment, gotta do it every 2 weeks) that
has purplish-orange eggs (one group of 3 and another of 7) on the
underside of its' leaves. Doesn't match description of cabbage
worms. Probably innocuous, right? Or is this where I bring out the
Sevin, flame throwers, and a tactical nu-clee-ar device?

Oh hell, just squish them, or remove part of the leaf. ;-)

Old 15-05-2008, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

This morning while walking in the gardens morning mist (it is
usually fog, but this morning it's steam), I came upon a recovering
cauliflower (pre-FePO4 treatment, gotta do it every 2 weeks) that
has purplish-orange eggs (one group of 3 and another of 7) on the
underside of its' leaves. Doesn't match description of cabbage
worms. Probably innocuous, right? Or is this where I bring out the
Sevin, flame throwers, and a tactical nu-clee-ar device?

Oh hell, just squish them, or remove part of the leaf. ;-)

That was just one plant that is recovering from some heavy grazing.
My cabbage patch has 5 more cauliflowers and a dozen cabbages. I was
hoping to avoid doing daily physicals on the Brassica;o)
--

Billy
Old 15-05-2008, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

This morning while walking in the gardens morning mist (it is
usually fog, but this morning it's steam), I came upon a recovering
cauliflower (pre-FePO4 treatment, gotta do it every 2 weeks) that
has purplish-orange eggs (one group of 3 and another of 7) on the
underside of its' leaves. Doesn't match description of cabbage
worms. Probably innocuous, right? Or is this where I bring out the
Sevin, flame throwers, and a tactical nu-clee-ar device?

Oh hell, just squish them, or remove part of the leaf. ;-)

That was just one plant that is recovering from some heavy grazing.
My cabbage patch has 5 more cauliflowers and a dozen cabbages. I was
hoping to avoid doing daily physicals on the Brassica;o)

I feel your pain... ;-D

I've had similar problems in the past with brocolli and chard. The worms
actually claimed a horseradish. sigh. The worms have to be picked at
dawn when they are out, and they can make seriously short work of the
plants!

BT???

I've not given it an honest try yet for cabbage worms, but I've read and
heard nothing but good about it.

Old 15-05-2008, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

Weather guesser predicting 101F for in town. We always run a little
hotter.

Uh.......that is way out of range. Please resample.

Ay, ay cap'n. Uh, better make that oy,oy, cap'n. I resampled and the
upshot of it all is that IT'S "HOT".

We be 95F'd cap' @ 11:30 in the blessed AM.

I worry for Emilie, out there in the Devil's own furnace, a.k.a. Cantral
Valley. I can't remember if she has elevation to moderate the heat or is
just gonna' take it in the shorts.

Talk to you on the other side of the heat cap'n.

Shields up, er, umbrellas up.

--
Bush Behind Bars

Billy
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0s...eature=related
Old 15-05-2008, 11:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

Well, gave the rest of the cauliflowers their physicals, and no sign of
more eggs. The cauliflower with the eggs is a good 50' from the rest of
the brassica, in a six pack, with a couple of recovering green beans, an'
balanced between two tomato arbors 'bout 3' off the ground, where the
dogs and cats would be tempted to nibble them (yesterday I caught Lilly
nibbling on the echinacea). Think I'll hold off on doin' anything that
may be drastic or expensive.

I noticed a couple of patches of green where I had grown my dent corn
last year. The Dent has gone feral on me. It no longer respects the
roles of the gardener and the gardened. I thought that was the big thing
about corn, that it needed to be planted. Well, I had just prepared a
new bed for the Dent corn, so I guess I'll just dig them up and
transplant them;-)

The weather gods have been merciful. After a quick run up of the
temperature this morning, a breeze settled in and is keeping us around
99F accuweather.com & 100F weather.com()
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Old 16-05-2008, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

The weather gods have been merciful. After a quick run up of the
temperature this morning, a breeze settled in and is keeping us around
99F accuweather.com & 100F weather.com()

I may have been a tad precipitous. It is 6 PM and 101F. Instead of
dropping to 93F tomorrow, the forecast now is for 103F. Sunflowers came
up today:-)
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

Old 16-05-2008, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

BT is not expensive. :-)
And it's not a poison. It's a bacteria that kills larvae.

I noticed a couple of patches of green where I had grown my dent corn
last year. The Dent has gone feral on me. It no longer respects the
roles of the gardener and the gardened. I thought that was the big thing
about corn, that it needed to be planted. Well, I had just prepared a
new bed for the Dent corn, so I guess I'll just dig them up and
transplant them;-)

Very cool!

The weather gods have been merciful. After a quick run up of the
temperature this morning, a breeze settled in and is keeping us around
99F accuweather.com & 100F weather.com()

So far, it's only hit in the 90's here, but it's early yet...

Old 16-05-2008, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

The weather gods have been merciful. After a quick run up of the
temperature this morning, a breeze settled in and is keeping us around
99F accuweather.com & 100F weather.com()

I may have been a tad precipitous. It is 6 PM and 101F. Instead of
dropping to 93F tomorrow, the forecast now is for 103F. Sunflowers came
up today:-)

I've had wild sunflower coming up for weeks. g

Old 16-05-2008, 05:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On May 15, 11:25 am, Billy wrote:
In article , Charlie wrote:
Weather guesser predicting 101F for in town. We always run a little
hotter.

Uh.......that is way out of range. Please resample.

Ay, ay cap'n. Uh, better make that oy,oy, cap'n. I resampled and the
upshot of it all is that IT'S "HOT".

We be 95F'd cap' @ 11:30 in the blessed AM.

I worry for Emilie, out there in the Devil's own furnace, a.k.a. Cantral
Valley. I can't remember if she has elevation to moderate the heat or is
just gonna' take it in the shorts.

Talk to you on the other side of the heat cap'n.

Shields up, er, umbrellas up.

--
Bush Behind Bars

Billyhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVTfcAyYGg&ref=patrick.nethttp://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0svwMdY&feature=related

Well Thank you Billy. We are not at any elevation other than about
200ft.
So yes, it was a hot'un today. my little min/mx thermometer said
"103.5"
today. It's 80 at 9:30pm. Windows all open and fans are going it's
fine.
We didn't stay down here after lunch today. One nice thing about
having
mountains of a good size nearby. A 30mile drive and it was about 78
with
a nice breeze. There are snow drifts in the shade at about 5000 ft
( also a whole lot of snow up at Lassen Nat Park....about 8 feet still
up there
at about 6 or 7000 ft. )

We went looking for early wildflowers at a few favorite meadows/bogs/
creeks.
Found Trilliums, Dogwood, Saxifrage in bud, Cobra Lilies (or CA
Pitcher Plant)
in bloom, Marsh Marigolds (ours are white) Buttercups, Bleedinghearts,
and
Steer's Head (Dicentra uniflora). Lots of little green things poking
their noses
up and the creeks were rushing full of snowmelt. It was a nice day up
there.

I have golf ball sized 'maters and onions, and the boysenberries are
starting
to turn red. I deadheaded roses until about 11 am when it got too hot
in the
sun. That's when we had lunch and headed for the "high country"

Emilie
NorCal
Old 16-05-2008, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 15 May 2008 18:04:11 -0700, Billy wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

The weather gods have been merciful. After a quick run up of the
temperature this morning, a breeze settled in and is keeping us around
99F accuweather.com & 100F weather.com()

I may have been a tad precipitous. It is 6 PM and 101F. Instead of
dropping to 93F tomorrow, the forecast now is for 103F. Sunflowers came
up today:-)

Uhhh...sorry to appear ignorant about climate outside of me own
backyard, but isn't this just a tad bit warmish for this time of year?
And in your area?

Charlie, looking fer signs of some sort ;-)

Oh, ye know how ma Nature is. Her habits are hard to divine.
Last year we went to 109F in May, very peculiar thing to happen.
In '96, we had rain in June, unheard of. Hot today, worse tomorrow.
Only thing that makes it bearable is knowing that soon, everybody will
be down in the same hole that we are in. Then we can all laugh about
it;o) Uh, that's not PC is it? Hmmm

Watered everything twice today. Found my passion flower. Thought I'd
lost it. Moving a hyssop down to the cabbage patch tomorrow and I'll
look around for my aeration stone. Gotta get up early to finish the
Dent corn patch. It just needs a little chicken doo, rock phosphate,
and some wood ash, and the drip laid out. Beautiful plant, Dent corn.
The Golden Bantam will be better eatin' but the Dent is spectacular too
look at. Goin' to put some of the Mammoth sunflowers in with it. In
the past I had them up by the road but now they will be down by
the front of the house where I can enjoy them more with "happy hour" and
dinner(once the mosquitos shove off).

Got "In Defense of Food " yesterday from the library. It's only a two
week loan so I guess I should get to it.

Fickt Bush.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Old 16-05-2008, 06:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

I guess you folks be the champions of heat. What was it? One hundred
days of 100F temps or some god awful thing like that? I ain't gonna
bore you with my petty complaints. Sure felt fine to point the spray
nozzle straight up today and pull the trigger, though. Hmmm, hmmm,
hmmm.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars