Old 15-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Registered User

Default I need to help my adopted yucca but i know nothing

I have just been given a 6ft yucca that had been chopped down and left to dry out ready for firewood BUT while it was left to dry out it started to sprout new shoots, and since i had expressed an interest and the plant looked as though it may survive i have been given it................. in two three foot pieces. Pretty much just logs with some shoots coming out the sides. I have put them in the ground in the hope they may survive.

What can i do to assist its revival............both bits.

I know nothing about gardening really.
Old 16-05-2008, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
paterson00 wrote:

I have just been given a 6ft yucca that had been chopped down and left
to dry out ready for firewood BUT while it was left to dry out it
started to sprout new shoots, and since i had expressed an interest and
the plant looked as though it may survive i have been given
it................. in two three foot pieces. Pretty much just logs
with some shoots coming out the sides. I have put them in the ground
in the hope they may survive.

What can i do to assist its revival............both bits.

I know nothing about gardening really.

Yucca, grow only, on average, a half inch per year. The tree also has
just one pollinator, the Yucca Moth.

Frequently, Joshua Trees are seen growing in groups and this
happens because they can grow from underground rhizomes. They can
also grow from seed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Old 17-05-2008, 04:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 16, 2:27 pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

paterson00 wrote:
I have just been given a 6ft yucca that had been chopped down and left
to dry out ready for firewood BUT while it was left to dry out it
started to sprout new shoots, and since i had expressed an interest and
the plant looked as though it may survive i have been given
it................. in two three foot pieces. Pretty much just logs
with some shoots coming out the sides. I have put them in the ground
in the hope they may survive.

What can i do to assist its revival............both bits.

I know nothing about gardening really.

Yucca, grow only, on average, a half inch per year. The tree also has
just one pollinator, the Yucca Moth.

Frequently, Joshua Trees are seen growing in groups and this
happens because they can grow from underground rhizomes. They can
also grow from seed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca

Interesting site. Evidently, my place is festooned with Flaccid Leaf
Yucca.
But, it grows a LOT more than a half inch per year. As that is an
average, maybe this breed is in the +3 SD. It pops up here and there
almost fully born.
Mine are all wild and seem to thrive on neglect, producing the most
lovely flowers.
I have had no success in the past trying to transplant them, but I
wasn't really trying hard or in an informed manner. This year, I
intend to create slightly raised 2x2 or such beds for trying again.
My speculation is that the wild stuff seeks out the fissures in my
horribly clay based soil and winds up with wet feet when I try to
transplant.

Interesting about the moth. It seems that the same moth works for ALL
the various varieties. I will have to look more closely. We have so
many here, including large populations of Luna Moths -- such beauties.

Finally got the rain gutters all around the outside of the top rails
on the deck and filled them with potting soil today. Put in some
bedding annuals every three ft. or so, and, after the soaked soil
sets, the entire deck will become my herb garden.

cheers

oz, experiencing the first of what is supposed to be FIVE DAYS OF
SUNSHINE

[IMG] code is On

Planting adopted daffodils Doug[_2_] Gardening 6 20-05-2012 10:36 PM
Maintenance free mediterranian garden help please. I know nothing............. paterson00 Gardening 2 17-04-2008 05:38 AM
Help needed with 'adopted' jade plants lisavye Gardening 4 08-02-2008 03:38 PM
Adopted a turtle Mike Patterson Ponds 11 20-07-2005 01:14 AM
Newbie with adopted orchid has ?s needs advice K Orchids 5 19-04-2003 03:20 PM