Old 19-05-2012, 01:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Planting adopted daffodils

A friend gave me a box full of daffs that he dug up in his yard while
he was clearing out an area. I know that Fall is the best time to
plant daffs, but I can't plan that far in advance. By that time I'm
usually sick of taking care of the garden. : ) Since I'm in planting
mode right now, I'd like to get them right into the ground. Do you
think they'll do well? Should I cut off the green tops or leave some
on?

Thanks.
Old 19-05-2012, 02:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

On May 19, 8:39*am, Doug wrote:
A friend gave me a box full of daffs that he dug up in his yard while
he was clearing out an area. *I know that Fall is the best time to
plant daffs, but I can't plan that far in advance. By that time I'm
usually sick of taking care of the garden. : ) *Since I'm in planting
mode right now, I'd like to get them right into the ground. Do you
think they'll do well? Should I cut off the green tops or leave some
on?

Thanks.

No expert here but I would plant them and leave the green on them. If
you do it quick enough maybe they won't know they were moved. Maybe
add some bone meal or bulb fertilizer.
MJ
Old 19-05-2012, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

mj writes:

On May 19, 8:39Â*am, Doug wrote:
A friend gave me a box full of daffs that he dug up in his yard while
he was clearing out an area. Â*I know that Fall is the best time to
plant daffs, but I can't plan that far in advance. By that time I'm
usually sick of taking care of the garden. : ) Â*Since I'm in planting
mode right now, I'd like to get them right into the ground. Do you
think they'll do well? Should I cut off the green tops or leave some
on?

Thanks.

No expert here but I would plant them and leave the green on them. If
you do it quick enough maybe they won't know they were moved. Maybe
add some bone meal or bulb fertilizer.

Agreed. Odds are very strong that the bulbs have enough energy to
make it a year with less than an optimal amount of growing time.

--
Dan Espen
Old 19-05-2012, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Doug wrote:

A friend gave me a box full of daffs that he dug up in his yard while
he was clearing out an area. I know that Fall is the best time to
plant daffs, but I can't plan that far in advance. By that time I'm
usually sick of taking care of the garden. : ) Since I'm in planting
mode right now, I'd like to get them right into the ground. Do you
think they'll do well? Should I cut off the green tops or leave some
on?

we need more information.

if they have been kept moist and have roots/dirt
still on that is the best. leave the green stuff on
and get them planted ASAP. water in well. they will
likely look sickly and then die back as is normal
for this time of year, but you might still get some
flowers this way.

if instead they have no roots/dirt left on or the
roots have been dried out and are dead then chop the
leaves off. they won't be doing anything other than
sucking moisture and nutrients from the bulb until
they figure out they should be dead.

in the second case, it is better to not plant them
right away until they have cured (the leaves have
all gone brown and come off easily). however, if you
have a lot of them and don't really care if every
single one makes it then plant them all and some will
likely be ok. if you only have a few and each is
precious (different variety or whatever) then it is
better to cure them and plant later in summer.

fall/late fall planting is ok, but if you can get
them in the ground mid-to-late August through
September that gives them more time to get going for
next year. many people don't put them in because
they aren't available or want the space for something
else... i find many bulbs already sprouting roots
and sending up a leaf for next spring by this time
of the year.

this all said, they are being interrupted during
the critical stage of their growth cycle so it may
take next year's growth before they will bloom well
again two springs from now...

good luck,

songbird
Old 20-05-2012, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Doug wrote:

[...]

Songbird,(and MJ and Dan),

Thanks for the responses.

They've been out of the ground for a few days already and the dirt on the roots has dried up and is falling off. I planted some yesterday. My friend did give me a LOT of them, so if I can get them into the ground tomorrow, I'll take my chances that way. If I don't get to them and have to wait any longer, maybe I'll take your advice and cure them and plant them later.

Thanks again.

Doug

Old 20-05-2012, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

I've broken all the rules about transplanting and planting and very seldom lose any plants. Have at it. I'd leave the leaves on and water in well.
Old 20-05-2012, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Nanzi wrote:

I've broken all the rules about transplanting and planting and very seldom
lose any plants. Have at it. I'd leave the leaves on and water in well.

If one has a bunch a plants you can just make a small ditch and cover
them. I forget the technical term but it works. Just a temporary fix
maybe up to a year.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/

[IMG] code is On

I need to help my adopted yucca but i know nothing paterson00 Gardening 2 17-05-2008 04:09 AM
Help needed with 'adopted' jade plants lisavye Gardening 4 08-02-2008 03:38 PM
Adopted a turtle Mike Patterson Ponds 11 20-07-2005 01:14 AM
Bluebird Houses & Daffodils Poking up was: What to do.... *grin* [email protected] North Carolina 8 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Newbie with adopted orchid has ?s needs advice K Orchids 5 19-04-2003 03:20 PM