Old 10-07-2005, 03:51 AM
Mike Patterson

Default Adopted a turtle

Couple weeks ago a friend of my daughter asked if I'd take the red-ear
slider they got from someone else. I have a 15x25 pond averaging
around 20" deep, around 1,350 US gallons..

They were keeping this 7" turtle in a 10-gallon glass aquarium, I felt
sorry for it and said "yes".

The little booger seems happy enough, sunning on the rocks and
swimming around all over the place, but the first thing he did was
snip off all the leaves of a new lily I'd put in the day before. Today
I took the lily out and put it in the quarantine barrel pond.

Looks like he's taking bites out of several of the pickerel rush
leaves too, but I can tolerate that. Oddly, he's left the other lily
alone.

I have 7 large goldfish, 2 smallish koi, and about 20 small goldfish
that were born this spring. If the turtle is carnivorous I wish he'd
take some of the little goldfish. Maybe if I drop some tartar sauce in
the pond?

Mike in Sharpsburg, GA

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Old 10-07-2005, 03:57 AM
Cracklin'

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
[...]

========================
We have a young red eared slider that found it's way into our pond this
spring. He eats the pellets we toss in for the fish. I haven't seen any
plant damage yet. Although they'll eat a worm if you offer them one, they
don't bother the fish from what we can see. It even ignores the tiny fish.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 10-07-2005, 04:04 AM
Roy

Nym shift yet again......you sure do not have any room to make
accusations girlie.....,maybe you need to practice what you whine
about.......I know with a ppersonality like yours you definately do
not live in a glass house, as it would be pretty prohhibitive with all
that glass replacement you would have to do on a hourly basis.

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 21:57:43 -0500, "Cracklin'"
wrote:

===
===news:gl21d1p4ldg894i75t25870r0k90a35aj7@4ax. com...
===========================
===We have a young red eared slider that found it's way into our pond this
===spring. He eats the pellets we toss in for the fish. I haven't seen any
===plant damage yet. Although they'll eat a worm if you offer them one, they
===don't bother the fish from what we can see. It even ignores the tiny fish.

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 10-07-2005, 04:22 AM
kathy

Turtles go from heavy protein diets
when they are young to more plant
oriented diets as they get older.

So basically they need plants too.

I feed my turtles (red-earred sliders
and painted turtle) turtle chow that you
can get at the pet store, I toss it where
the fish can't get it. Also toss them land
snails, slugs or worms - toss these onto
the island.

I have tons of water lettuce in the pond
and lots of water hyacinth and I really
haven't noticed much plant damage.

I did see the painted turtle mowing down
string algae at the bottom of the waterfall
(good turtle, good!).

Turtles need the same care in the winter
as fish, a hole open in the ice, if you get
ice.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ bladderwort

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 10-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Dude

I have two young Red Eard sliders only about 3" diameter shells and put
them in the pond a few months ago and they did the same thing. They
clipped the lillys right at the base. Came out to see all the lillys
just floating around

Then they I had about 10 or 15 rosies in there for them to eat but I
guess they were too fast for them and instead ganged up on one of my
commets.

I took them back out and put them back in the aquairum for now but I
think I want to release them again and hope for the best. I know they
would rather be in a 500 gal pond vs a 10 gal tank.

Chris

Old 12-07-2005, 03:31 AM
BMWBOB

I just took back a red slider because all he did was hid in the skimmer
waiting for a fish to make the mistake of swimming in for a look see. It
seemes Koi are stupid and the dam feeder gold fish are smart enough to stay
out of the skimmer.

Old 12-07-2005, 06:00 AM
Reel Mckoi

"BMWBOB" wrote in message
I just took back a red slider because all he did was hid in the skimmer
waiting for a fish to make the mistake of swimming in for a look see. It
seemes Koi are stupid and the dam feeder gold fish are smart enough to

stay
out of the skimmer.

======================
Was he eating your fish? I read that they're vegetarians once past the baby
stage. I have a small one in one of my ponds but I've never seen it bother
the fish. It eats the same pellets I feed the fish. If it's munching on
plants I wouldn't notice since I have so many in that pond.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:11 PM
BMWBOB

They're omniverous. My turtle was about 6" and taking out 6" koi!

Old 12-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Reel Mckoi

"BMWBOB" wrote in message
They're omniverous. My turtle was about 6" and taking out 6" koi!

============
Thanks for this information. We'll remove him to the lake this coming fall.

Old 18-07-2005, 04:01 AM
Mike Patterson

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:58:47 -0700, Otto Pylot
wrote:

snip

We added a red-eared slider to our 1200 gallon pond a few months ago to
take care of our population boom of mosquito fish. As far as we can
tell he hasn't touched the fish (mosquito, Shubunkin's, and koi) but
has decimated some of our plants. We've seen him eat garden snails that
have fallen into the pond but that's all. Not too sure what we can do.

It's been about 3 weeks now, he's completely detroyed one lily while
leaving 2 others alone, and he seems to like taking bites out of the
pickerel rush leaves, but otherwise all is well.

Mike

Old 19-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Anne Lurie

Gosh, Mike, I think the solution is obvious.......... you need another pond
!

In lieu of that, maybe you could find the turtle something else to eat?
Here's a link that might be helpful:

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/repti...slidercare.htm

Anne

[about an adopted 7" red-eared slider turtle]

Old 20-07-2005, 01:14 AM
Mike Patterson

Nah, I don't mind him snacking on the plants. I can get more.

I haven't seen him in a couple of days now though, wondering if he
went walkabout.

MP

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:01:13 GMT, "Anne Lurie"
wrote:

Gosh, Mike, I think the solution is obvious.......... you need another pond
!

In lieu of that, maybe you could find the turtle something else to eat?
Here's a link that might be helpful:

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/repti...slidercare.htm

Anne

.. .