Old 27-06-2008, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doc Doc is offline

Default What fertilizer for Indian Hawthorn for maximum growth?

I just planted some 1.5 quart Indian Hawthorn plants. I'm in Florida -
very sandy soil. At the suggestion of the guy in the F&G dept at Home
Depot I put some topsoil in the holes for them. I see some new growth
but wondering what if anything I can do to maximize/accelerate their
growth? We're in the rainy season right now.

Thanks for all input.
Old 27-06-2008, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 27, 1:03*am, Doc wrote:
I just planted some 1.5 quart Indian Hawthorn plants. I'm in Florida -
very sandy soil. At the suggestion of the guy in the F&G dept at Home
Depot I put some topsoil in the holes for them. I see some new growth
but wondering what if anything I can do to maximize/accelerate their
growth? We're in the rainy season right now.

Thanks for all input.

Very sandy soil is lacking in organic material, keep an inch or so
mulch of compost around them.
Old 30-06-2008, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

"beecrofter" wrote in message
On Jun 27, 1:03 am, Doc wrote:
I just planted some 1.5 quart Indian Hawthorn plants. I'm in Florida -
very sandy soil. At the suggestion of the guy in the F&G dept at Home
Depot I put some topsoil in the holes for them. I see some new growth
but wondering what if anything I can do to maximize/accelerate their
growth? We're in the rainy season right now.

Thanks for all input.

Very sandy soil is lacking in organic material, keep an inch or so
mulch of compost around them.

Good idea. Also maybe a soil application of microelements with very low
nitrogen until you find out more about the plant.

Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

Old 30-06-2008, 01:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Doc wrote:

I just planted some 1.5 quart Indian Hawthorn plants. I'm in Florida -
very sandy soil. At the suggestion of the guy in the F&G dept at Home
Depot I put some topsoil in the holes for them. I see some new growth
but wondering what if anything I can do to maximize/accelerate their
growth? We're in the rainy season right now.

Thanks for all input.

Hmm, most Floridians wish their plantings would grow much more slowly.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2073295_grow...-hawthorn.html