Old 12-07-2008, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Neem oil as a repellant

I've read that Neem oil can be used as an insecticide as well as a
repellant. Has anyone here had experience using Neem oil to control cucumber
beetles? How well did it work, and will it work as a repellant as well as a
contact insecticide, IE will it repel bugs between applications?

Old 12-07-2008, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "Zootal"
wrote:

I've read that Neem oil can be used as an insecticide as well as a
repellant. Has anyone here had experience using Neem oil to control cucumber
beetles? How well did it work, and will it work as a repellant as well as a
contact insecticide, IE will it repel bugs between applications?

Neem is wildly over rated by a vigorous international myth-making machine.
The Neem tree is worshipped in India as a manifestation of the Great
Mother, and as such any claims of healing value, gardening value, value
for everything imaginable, is pretty much the equivalent of any devout
Christian claiming all you need is prayer to cure cancer and make
watermelons grow to the size of the Goodyear blimp.

Here's my article on Neem worship and the impact on garden use:
http://www.paghat.com/neemworship.html

There are a few practical values for horticultural oil. Neem oil per se
adds nothing special to justify the added cost.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 13-07-2008, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 12, 4:07 pm, (paghat) wrote:
In article , "Zootal"

wrote:
[...]

I have only used it twice but it seemed to clear up a pretty bad
infestation of leaf miners on my beans and broccoli.

Chris
Old 13-07-2008, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

I have only used it twice but it seemed to clear up a pretty bad
infestation of leaf miners on my beans and broccoli.

Chris

I guess I'll find out very soon if it does any good. I have a severe flea
beetle and cucumber beetle infestation that I have not yet been able to get
under control. Garlic spray? Phhht. Insecticidal soap? Great contact
insecticide, doesn't stop more from coming back the next day. Coffee
grounds, diatamaceous, etc. No real help. At this rate, I'll soon have no
cucumbers or beans left, and if there is no improvement by this time next
week, I go for the sevin and nuke the little *******s (along with everything
else, unfortunately)...or just give up on beans and cukes...

On the bright side, I have tomatoes and squash that are exploding out of the
ground. They are very happy this year.

Old 13-07-2008, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Zootal" wrote:

I have only used it twice but it seemed to clear up a pretty bad
infestation of leaf miners on my beans and broccoli.

Chris

I guess I'll find out very soon if it does any good. I have a severe flea
beetle and cucumber beetle infestation that I have not yet been able to get
under control. Garlic spray? Phhht. Insecticidal soap? Great contact
insecticide, doesn't stop more from coming back the next day. Coffee
grounds, diatamaceous, etc. No real help. At this rate, I'll soon have no
cucumbers or beans left, and if there is no improvement by this time next
week, I go for the sevin and nuke the little *******s (along with everything
else, unfortunately)...or just give up on beans and cukes...

On the bright side, I have tomatoes and squash that are exploding out of the
ground. They are very happy this year.

Look into Pyrethrum.

Sometimes you can get it mixed with rotenone. Rotenone is a possible
nasty poison. The two come dissolved in xylene a human carcinogen.
Worst choice I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethrum

I use 1600 X-clude on occasion in my house .

First I try to provide no reason to come in AKA no food just Sugar and a
bit of boric acid powder.

http://www.ghorganics.com/XClude1600.html

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 15-07-2008, 06:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 12, 1:40 pm, "Zootal" wrote:
I've read that Neem oil can be used as an insecticide as well as a
repellant. Has anyone here had experience using Neem oil to control cucumber
beetles?

Sidewalk. Foot.

How well did it work,

Quite well.

Old 18-07-2008, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 17, 12:16 pm, Jangchub wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:40:53 -0700, "Zootal"

wrote:
I've read that Neem oil can be used as an insecticide as well as a
repellant. Has anyone here had experience using Neem oil to control cucumber
beetles? How well did it work, and will it work as a repellant as well as a
contact insecticide, IE will it repel bugs between applications?

Neem oil only works on certain insects which I don't recall the list.
To narrow it further, the insects it works on must ingest the neem oil
within a pretty short period after it is sprayed. It effects their
digestive system, but is not really all that great a product.

If you have infestations of any insects, you should check out the soil
because that is the underlying problem. There are many places online
where you can read about soil problems and their effect on plants,
particularly those which produce food.

Hi Jangchub,

Can you please look at the thread "Zucchini Again" and give me some
advice? Are those pumpkins or zukes?

Thanks for the help!

Chris
Old 18-07-2008, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 17, 10:37 pm, Jangchub wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 18:01:05 -0700 (PDT), Chris

wrote:
[...]

I already deleted it because it appeared it was answered, but post it
again if I didn't see something which wasn't addressed.

No one answered who had looked at the photos (

If you can give some advice I would love it!

Here's the post:

Anyway, here's a photo of the beast. This is a 4MB file...a smaller
one is below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28163063@N08/2672340009/

Here's the 800k version of the photo listed above:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28163063@N08/2672352335/

And all the photos are here, with some foliage shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28163063@N08/?saved=1

Chris
Old 18-07-2008, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 18, 10:02 am, Jangchub wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 19:41:18 -0700 (PDT), Chris

wrote:
Here's the post:

Anyway, here's a photo of the beast. This is a 4MB file...a smaller
one is below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28163063@N08/2672340009/

Here's the 800k version of the photo listed above:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28163063@N08/2672352335/

And all the photos are here, with some foliage shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28163063@N08/?saved=1

Chris

The foliage looks right for any number of squash. What kind of
zucchini did you plant? It could be one of those newer varieties
which are small. The way to find out is to harvest one and cut it
open. The foliage is not that of the common garden zucchini. Cut one
open Chris.

OK will do

Chris
Old 18-07-2008, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

No one answered who had looked at the photos (

If you can give some advice I would love it!

Here's the post:

Anyway, here's a photo of the beast. This is a 4MB file...a smaller
one is below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28163063@N08/2672340009/

Here's the 800k version of the photo listed above:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28163063@N08/2672352335/

And all the photos are here, with some foliage shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28163063@N08/?saved=1

Chris

I grew those last year. It's what happens when you grow pumpkin and zucchini
close together, and you save the seeds.

Two years ago I grew some acorn squash. I took one of the squash and saved
the seeds. Last year, I planted them, and they grew these large beautiful
vines, but the fruit was anything but acorn! I had acorn/zucchini cross,
acorn/scallop, acorn/pumpkin, acorn/yellow crookneck cross, etc. All kinds
of interesting squash grew from those seeds, it was rather amusing and very
interesting.

Old 18-07-2008, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "Zootal"
wrote:

[...]

That's so darned cool.

-paghat the ratgirl
Old 19-07-2008, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Here's the post:

Anyway, here's a photo of the beast. This is a 4MB file...a smaller
one is below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28163063@N08/2672340009/

Here's the 800k version of the photo listed above:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28163063@N08/2672352335/

And all the photos are here, with some foliage shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28163063@N08/?saved=1

Chris

The foliage looks right for any number of squash. What kind of
zucchini did you plant? It could be one of those newer varieties
which are small. The way to find out is to harvest one and cut it
open. The foliage is not that of the common garden zucchini. Cut one
open Chris.

OK, I did it, and it sure is a zucchini. What a hoot!

Here's what it looks like inside:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28163063@N08/2680377463/

And here's the bean harvest, and another zuke:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28163063@N08/2680340221/

Thanks again,

Chris
Old 19-07-2008, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 18, 11:24 am, "Zootal" wrote:
[...]

The weird thing is that there were straight from Burpee. Now I cannot
find the seed packet- I must have finished it off. Oh well, live and
learn.

Chris
Old 19-07-2008, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Now, the trick is to pick them before they get too big. If you knew
the size they were supposed to be you could gauge their size at
capacity, but zukes can get very bitter if you leave them to grow too
large. They also can get woody and just impossible to eat.

So, for this year, harvest them at the same size as the one you cut
up, provided it is good tasting. If it is not, you should harvest
them when they are smaller. Baby vegetables are a delicacy in some
hoi palloy eateries. Feh. Not you, the palloy!

Look at the size of the stem - I bet if he let them grow, they would hit 18"
diameter, maybe more.

Old 19-07-2008, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 18, 9:42 pm, Jangchub wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 16:49:03 -0700 (PDT), Chris

wrote:
The weird thing is that there were straight from Burpee. Now I cannot
find the seed packet- I must have finished it off. Oh well, live and
learn.

Chris

Now, the trick is to pick them before they get too big. If you knew
the size they were supposed to be you could gauge their size at
capacity, but zukes can get very bitter if you leave them to grow too
large. They also can get woody and just impossible to eat.

So, for this year, harvest them at the same size as the one you cut
up, provided it is good tasting. If it is not, you should harvest
them when they are smaller. Baby vegetables are a delicacy in some
hoi palloy eateries. Feh. Not you, the palloy!

Thanks! Yup, gonna steam them tomorrow and see what they're like.

Chris