Old 18-07-2008, 06:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Steer compost in garden

In article
,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
"Zootal" wrote:

There is a bark place down the road that sells mushroom compost and steer
compost. Is this stuff good for the garden? Can I use it like compost and
heap it on the ground around plants and trees?

Manure should be at least six months old before use.

I disagree strongly with this. I use manure pretty fresh and always have.
It just depends on where you use it.

and how lucky you feel ;-)
http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/liv.../cwa01s11.html
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 18-07-2008, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

"Zootal" wrote in message
There is a bark place down the road that sells mushroom compost and steer
compost. Is this stuff good for the garden? Can I use it like compost and
heap it on the ground around plants and trees?

Yes.

With the caveat that contact (with root crops, lettuce or herbs),
splashing from rain, or dust from working the soil can transmit
pathogens to low lying fruit and, ultimately, to to you, even if you are
Australian. Ornamentals, fruit trees or, corn are no problem.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 18-07-2008, 06:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message

and steer has more
nitrogen and potasium than dairy manure,

Why do you say that? Do they have greatly different diets where you are?

David

From chicken to zoo doo
http://www.plantea.com/manure.htm
Old 18-07-2008, 12:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"Billy" wrote in message
"Zootal" wrote:

There is a bark place down the road that sells mushroom compost and
steer
compost. Is this stuff good for the garden? Can I use it like compost
and
heap it on the ground around plants and trees?

Manure should be at least six months old before use.

I disagree strongly with this. I use manure pretty fresh and always
have.
It just depends on where you use it.

I think that the taboos about manure stem from old books (mostly from
Europe) which all talk about "aged manure". I suspect that most people
believe that without ever having tried it really fresh.

I agree. I live in the midst of cattle country and we run horses as well.
Manure from either can be used within a few weeks of date of plop when it
has
dried somewhat.

Manure from birds (chickens, turkeys etc) is another matter altogether as
the
content of nutrients is much higher. It must be diluted and/or composted
and/or aged before use. I prefer diluting and composting in with other
plant
material as these help to retain the nutrients as just leaving it lying in
heap will allow the soluble nutrients (especially nitrogen compounds) to
leach
away. This usually results in great growth of grass downslope from the
pile
which may not be what you want.

As for the neccesity of hot composting and sterilizing I think the risk of
picking up a pathogen from the manure of a herbivore is greatly over
estimated. Sure there are E.Coli and other pathogens that can live in
humans
in their guts but we all live in a microbiological soup. The air, the
water
and every object we touch is covered in microbes by the gazillion. Living
isn't something you can do sterile.

There are a great many people in the western world who live in big cities
who
are horrified at the thought of anything that has come out of the arse of
living creature. [I always knew that a boiled egg is the work of the
devil]
I have had people ask me "where do the horses go to the bathroom?" When I
replied "where ever they please" they were horrified.

You have only to look at the vast market for fancy surface cleansers,
coloured
stuff to put down your toilet etc, most of which is entirely pointless, to
see
how this fear is reinforced by vested interests. Much of this
squeamishness
is based on the fear that one spot of fecal matter on ones skin will
automatically result in an illness. You wash before eating don't you?
You
have an immune system don't you? But you are a bad parent whose children
ought be taken away if your whole bathroom isn't sprayed with Zeppo
Ultraclean
daily.

I would say changing the dirty nappy of an infant is far more dangerous
(not
to mention unpleasant) than spreading barrows full of not fully composted
cow
manure.

David

Kinda confusing, the FDA and other naysayers of animal poop. The last
tainted spinach thing, that found the couple of rows where it was located in
a farm in California. Uphill from there, cattle graze. They heavily
implied the cow manure during heavy rain was the culprit. But, didn't come
out and say it was for sure. Seems more rhetoric and guessing, than science
to me.
--
Dave

Bailout: Friend, relative, business acquaintance
paying a sum to get the accused
out of jail until court is ready to proceed.

Bailout: U.S. taxpayers paying a sum of
money for some critical business failure
that was fleecing the taxpayer to begin
with.
Somehow, the word "bailout" seems
very different.

Old 18-07-2008, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
"Zootal" wrote:

[...]

A surmise perhaps, but not without foundation or precedent.
http://www.csiss.org/classics/content/8
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 18-07-2008, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

http://www.csiss.org/classics/content/8

Keep the feces out of the water. Feces on the land that is breaking
down not the problem. I have had many tons of chicken feces spread
about here in the past along with with wood chip it sort of invites a
vitality. I would not like it in my water supply .
So what is the problem? Perhaps long times of produce sitting about
and driven a few thousand miles. The labels in my supermarket suggest
when to sell by but not when they arrived. Then misted to suggest
fresh.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 19-07-2008, 07:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
"Zootal" wrote:

There is a bark place down the road that sells mushroom compost and
steer
compost. Is this stuff good for the garden? Can I use it like compost
and
heap it on the ground around plants and trees?

Manure should be at least six months old before use.

I disagree strongly with this. I use manure pretty fresh and always
have.
It just depends on where you use it.

and how lucky you feel ;-)
http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/liv.../cwa01s11.html

Luck has nothing to do with it as far as I'm concerned. If you looked with
any degree of closeness at the chart on that site, you would never garden if
you were worried about either pathogens or luck. That site says that Water
is a better place for survival of E. coli than manure. No-one I know can
garden without water, and as David H-S says, the world is a dirty place. If
ya number's up, it's up as far as I'm concerned and till it's up, I garden
and I haul fresh manure.

Old 19-07-2008, 08:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
"Zootal" wrote:

[...]

???? I must have missed any reference to humanure in the garden. I
wouldn't recommend it even though the Chinese have done it for 40 centuries.

Old 19-07-2008, 08:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
"Zootal" wrote:

[...]

in a
[...]

That incidence, and another involving lettuce in California, involved on
very particularly nasty form of E. coli (viz 0157:H7). There are many
varieties of E. coli. The FDA would have to take the most cautious approach
they could without putting the fear of raging disease into the whole
populace.

There are many other forms of diseases we can pick up in a garden (or in
cafes or even from handles on shop doors). I've had cellulitis from the
most minute rose prick you've ever seen. My husband had cellulitis when
travelling in a tropical country without even getting any break in the skin.
It's all about taking sensible precautions without being fear ridden or we'd
never garden, own animals, go out of the house etc.

Old 19-07-2008, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

"Billy" wrote in message
"Zootal" wrote:

[...]

Shirley (couldn't resist) you wouldn't drink water that was fresh
run-off from a cow pasture. We be talking shit here, I don't care what
animal it came out of. Don't try to obscure the issue with your wiley
Australian pas-de-deux.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 19-07-2008, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

"Billy" wrote in message
"Zootal" wrote:

[...]

Right, friday night in Australia and what better amusement than a
kickin', gouging, bitin', knock-down, drag-out fight, eh? Fine, if you
want to load up your garden with fresh manure in the middle or the end
of the growing season, I wish you God's speed.
For anyone who doesn't need to tempt the Almighty for thrills, I suggest
that they keep their shit in a corner of their property, away from those
tasty little plants, for at least three months and preferably four.
By that time UV and micro critters should have rendered it healthy to
use. I never did consider caution a form of paranoia. But then, I'm
older than you;-)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 20-07-2008, 09:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message

and steer has more
nitrogen and potasium than dairy manure,

Why do you say that? Do they have greatly different diets where you are?

David

From chicken to zoo doo
http://www.plantea.com/manure.htm

The table in this is based on some other reference that I don't have but it
seems to me to make some assumptions about the diet of the animals. It says
steer manure (I suppose they mean beef cattle rather than having some reason
to think that cow, heifer or bull manure is different from that of steers) has
more seeds than dairy cow. This would only be so if they had different diets.
I am thinking this table is based on USA practice which includes much lot
feeding. Here you will get dairy cattle on one paddock and beef on the next
with them both eating the same pasture. Under those conditions I cannot think
why the manure would be very much different. [As for those diary cows you
would think that a steady diet of paper would alter their output and it is in
fact so.]

It also seems to assume that "manure" includes bedding (ie straw etc that has
not been through the beast) This makes a huge difference to composition
compared to the straight stuff.

I thought the bit that said "Washed dairy manure from healthy cows is just
about perfect for garden use" was interesting. Who washes it? What do they
do with the dirty water? Where do they find the water and the time? The mind
boggles.

David

Old 20-07-2008, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message

and steer has more
nitrogen and potasium than dairy manure,

Why do you say that? Do they have greatly different diets where you

are?

David

From chicken to zoo doo
[...]

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...70230287.html#

"The big reason cow manure is lower in nitrogen is because it is diverted
into milk production..."

"Most factory-type diaries do not use bedding; instead, they flush the
manure with water into holding ponds and let it separate. Manure from these
types of farms comes from the bottom of the ponds when they are drained."
[hence, "washed"]

Old 20-07-2008, 02:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

My conclusion is that the FDA simply does not really know the actual source
of E-coli in recent grocery produce problems. And, they will probably never
will now, or, in such future outbreaks.

Commonly, the workers in the grocery produce department place the newly
arrived stuff in the rear of the bin, the best they can.

--
Dave

Bailout: Friend, relative, business acquaintance
paying a sum to get the accused
out of jail until court is ready to proceed.

Bailout: U.S. taxpayers paying a sum of
money for some critical business failure
that was fleecing the taxpayer to begin
with.
Somehow, the word "bailout" seems
very different.
"Bill" wrote in message
In article
,

Old 20-07-2008, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message

and steer has more
nitrogen and potasium than dairy manure,

Why do you say that? Do they have greatly different diets where you are?

David

From chicken to zoo doo
[...]

One boggle at a time. I looked at several tables and they all reflected
the same data, that steers produce more nitrogen compounds than
dairy cows. Why is left to conjecture, but diets seems a reasonable
guess.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars