Old 20-07-2008, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Steer compost in garden

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message

and steer has more
nitrogen and potasium than dairy manure,

Why do you say that? Do they have greatly different diets where you
are?

David

From chicken to zoo doo
http://www.plantea.com/manure.htm

The table in this is based on some other reference that I don't have but it
seems to me to make some assumptions about the diet of the animals. It
says
steer manure (I suppose they mean beef cattle rather than having some
reason
to think that cow, heifer or bull manure is different from that of steers)
has
more seeds than dairy cow. This would only be so if they had different
diets.
I am thinking this table is based on USA practice which includes much lot
feeding. Here you will get dairy cattle on one paddock and beef on the
next
with them both eating the same pasture. Under those conditions I cannot
think
why the manure would be very much different. [As for those diary cows you
would think that a steady diet of paper would alter their output and it is
in
fact so.]

It also seems to assume that "manure" includes bedding (ie straw etc that
has
not been through the beast) This makes a huge difference to composition
compared to the straight stuff.

I thought the bit that said "Washed dairy manure from healthy cows is just
about perfect for garden use" was interesting. Who washes it? What do
they
do with the dirty water? Where do they find the water and the time? The
mind
boggles.

David

One boggle at a time. I looked at several tables and they all reflected
the same data, that steers produce more nitrogen compounds than
dairy cows. Why is left to conjecture, but diets seems a reasonable
guess.

Some where in all these feces there may be best procedure.

I donąt know how to use the following table. Note the issue of time
frame.

http://www.ohioagriculture.gov/oda3/...PPX%20C_TBL%20
6.pdf

I think we are discussing available nitrogen.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...ilable+nitroge
n&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Bill a guy that trucked it in covered it with leaves and tilled in
time.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 20-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Registered User

mushroom compost is brilliant stuff, not only does it help the garden and existing plants, you usually find your breakfast eash day as well!!!!!!!!
in my experience you cannot get better as it is well rotted and prior to being used for mushrooms all the harmful ' ' has been removed

kathryn

www.carreglefn-nurseries.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootal[_3_] View Post
There is a bark place down the road that sells mushroom compost and steer
compost. Is this stuff good for the garden? Can I use it like compost and
heap it on the ground around plants and trees?
Old 21-07-2008, 10:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
"Zootal" wrote:

There is a bark place down the road that sells mushroom compost and
steer
compost. Is this stuff good for the garden? Can I use it like
compost
and
heap it on the ground around plants and trees?

Manure should be at least six months old before use.

I disagree strongly with this. I use manure pretty fresh and always
have.
It just depends on where you use it.

and how lucky you feel ;-)
http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/liv.../cwa01s11.html

Luck has nothing to do with it as far as I'm concerned. If you looked
with
any degree of closeness at the chart on that site, you would never garden
if
you were worried about either pathogens or luck. That site says that
Water is a better place for survival of E. coli than manure. No-one I
know can
garden without water, and as David H-S says, the world is a dirty place.
If
ya number's up, it's up as far as I'm concerned and till it's up, I
garden
and I haul fresh manure.

Right, friday night in Australia and what better amusement than a
kickin', gouging, bitin', knock-down, drag-out fight, eh?

What the.......?

Fine, if you
want to load up your garden with fresh manure in the middle or the end
of the growing season, I wish you God's speed.
For anyone who doesn't need to tempt the Almighty for thrills, I suggest
that they keep their shit in a corner of their property, away from those
tasty little plants, for at least three months and preferably four.
By that time UV and micro critters should have rendered it healthy to
use. I never did consider caution a form of paranoia. But then, I'm
older than you;-)

So how old do you think I am? And what has that to do with the use of
animal poop?

However, if you are going to give such advice then I will provide an
alternative thought. If people choose to keep their shit covered in a
corner than perhaps they might also be interested in thinking about and
finding out how "well rotted animal manure" is arrived at and what happens
to the nutrients to reach that stage. I prefer to have the nutrients in my
garden and not in some corner somewhere.

Old 21-07-2008, 10:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message news:wildbilly-

A surmise perhaps, but not without foundation or precedent.
http://www.csiss.org/classics/content/8

???? I must have missed any reference to humanure in the garden. I
wouldn't recommend it even though the Chinese have done it for 40
centuries.

Shirley

Shirley, who the hell is Shirley?

(couldn't resist) you wouldn't drink water that was fresh
run-off from a cow pasture. We be talking shit here, I don't care what
animal it came out of.

Yep, we ARE talking shit here, but shit from cattle, not human shit.

I had assumed that as someone who continually tries to educate people to
follow the organic path, you would understand that plants like cattle shit
and in fact all animal shit. Human shit has no place in any domestic garden
and no-one suggested drinking cattle shit.

Don't try to obscure the issue with your wiley
Australian pas-de-deux.

Well if by "Australian pas de deux" you mean that David and I are trying to
get you to discuss this topic using logic and/or experience, then I guess
I'd have to plead guilty. It sure beats doing the Texas two step.

We were talking cow shit so why suddenly introduce the topic of human shit?

Old 21-07-2008, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:

I thought the bit that said "Washed dairy manure from healthy cows is just
about perfect for garden use" was interesting. Who washes it? What do they
do with the dirty water? Where do they find the water and the time? The mind
boggles.

I've had worse summer jobs...

Bob

Old 21-07-2008, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

"Billy" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message news:wildbilly-

A surmise perhaps, but not without foundation or precedent.
http://www.csiss.org/classics/content/8

???? I must have missed any reference to humanure in the garden. I
wouldn't recommend it even though the Chinese have done it for 40
centuries.

Shirley

Shirley, who the hell is Shirley?

Fran, you don't mind me calling you Fran, do you? Good.
You don't keep up with cutting edge of American culture?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3rXK7NhWN8 explains all.
Maybe I should have said Shelia but that doesn't have any resonance here.

(couldn't resist) you wouldn't drink water that was fresh
run-off from a cow pasture. We be talking shit here, I don't care what
animal it came out of.

Yep, we ARE talking shit here, but shit from cattle, not human shit.

I had assumed that as someone who continually tries to educate people to
follow the organic path, you would understand that plants like cattle shit
and in fact all animal shit. Human shit has no place in any domestic garden
and no-one suggested drinking cattle shit.

Oh goodie, your back ;o) and brought your muscle with you( I was
beginning to think that you had one too many Fosters and had gone to the
waller for a nice lie down, now I find you've been prattling on about
taxonomy (let's keep it to Chordata Tetrapoda), while I was talking
about "enteric bacteria - rod-shaped Gram-negative bacteria; most occur
normally or pathogenically in intestines of humans and other animals."
The operative word here is
"pathogenically".

I'm sure that plants do like doo, unless it's too much doo and fries
them.

My point is, my painfully obtuse friend, is that the ingestion of
green doo (be it sipped or chewed) may lead to predictable and avoidable
consequences (you get sick). You should avoid root crops in conjunction
with green doo. Leafy vegetables could be contaminated by rain splashing
doo onto the plant, so either mulch them to eliminate splashing or don't
grow them. Fruiting crops are probably safe; train any vining ones such
as cucumbers or tomatoes onto a support so that the fruit is off the
ground. Thoroughly wash any produce from the garden before eating it.
Or you could just use aged manure and save yourself the trouble of the
doo dos and the doo don'ts.
Or you could doo it Bush's way and just irradiate it, doo and all,
(yumm, yumm) and that would be the end of the problem (they say).

Don't try to obscure the issue with your wiley
Australian pas-de-deux.

Well if by "Australian pas de deux" you mean that David and I are trying to
get you to discuss this topic using logic and/or experience, then I guess
I'd have to plead guilty. It sure beats doing the Texas two step.

Ah, you haven't lived until you've tried "Country Swing".

We were talking cow shit so why suddenly introduce the topic of human shit?

To put a finer point on it, I was stressing (1) the FACT that feces is
a source for pathogenic organisms (see definition above) and (2) this
concern abates after three to four months of dry warmth and sunshine.
See:
http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/liv.../cwa01s11.html

If you would simply engage that dormant organ under your hat, these
conversations would go more quickly ;o))
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 22-07-2008, 05:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message news:wildbilly-

A surmise perhaps, but not without foundation or precedent.
http://www.csiss.org/classics/content/8

???? I must have missed any reference to humanure in the garden. I
wouldn't recommend it even though the Chinese have done it for 40
centuries.

Shirley

Shirley, who the hell is Shirley?

Fran, you don't mind me calling you Fran, do you? Good.

No I don't mind at all.

You don't keep up with cutting edge of American culture?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3rXK7NhWN8 explains all.

I hope you had your tongue firmly in your cheek when you called that
"cutting edge" because if you didn't, then I'd hate to see what you include
in your "dumb crap" category.

Maybe I should have said Shelia but that doesn't have any resonance here.

But you think your reference to "Shirley" does have resonance? That is both
jingoistic and arrogant on your part given the universal access to
newsgroups.

[...]

Do you ever attempt to stay on topic or attempt to post from a basis of
either logic or relevance? Your obsession with alcohol and your irrelevant
and illogical imaginings about other's drinking habits has nothing to do
with the topic or the thread. My nationality also has nothing to do with
the discussion, however your attempts to use that as a form of insult is
duly noted.

This group is called rec.gardens. The question originally asked was:
"There is a bark place down the road that sells mushroom compost and steer
compost. Is this stuff good for the garden? Can I use it like compost and
heap it on the ground around plants and trees?"

If you had bothered to read the question with any degree of comprehension
you would have noticed 2 things: the use of the words "compost" and "around
plants and trees".

The one and only answer to this question is the one I originally gave. That
answer is "yes".

You chose to answer that manure should be six months old before use. I know
from long experience, as clearly does David, that such ageing is not
necessary and in my case I know that even applies for fresh poultry manure.
It depends on where it is spread.

But back to the current twist in his thread. Of course animal manure has
pathogens in it. But so does soil. So does water and potting mix. I even
provided a post that cited that water retains pathogens longer than manure.
If you bothered to spend even a nonosecond thinking about the implications
of water borne pathogens then you would be advocating that we don't use
water in the garden.

You aren't advocating that, and you would sound like a total idiot if you
did. However, that does not mean that you aren't being a patronising idiot
in dribbling on continuously about pathogens. If you bothered to pay
attention to what other's have written, you would realise that we already
know about pathogens in our gardening environment. Note the use of the word
"gardening". That does not include the lack of sewers in 19th century
Britain.

The discussion here started, and should have remained, about manure used in
gardens. If you bothered to stay on topic and not ramble in a free
association way, you might be able to figure that out. Now you are forced
to try to justify your irrelevant introduction of the British cholera
outbreaks of the 19th cenury and choose to do that by trying to be
insulting.

Stay on topic. Stick to the pathogens found in manures used in gardens.
That does not include human, dog, cat, pig or many other manures.

I'm sure that plants do like doo, unless it's too much doo and fries
them.

Lord spare me! That is complete rubbish! Just how many plants have you
ever managed to fry with fresh poo? I've yet to use any manure that has
ever fried any plant and that includes fresh poultry manure. In your
keeness to sound knowledgable on this topic, you fail (as usual) to believe
that anyone has a even a modicum of common sense.

A very raw beginner might fry something if they planted straight into fresh
manure, but no-one with even a soupcon of gardening experience would manage
to do that.

My point is, my painfully obtuse friend, is that the ingestion of
green doo (be it sipped or chewed) may lead to predictable and avoidable
consequences (you get sick).

And you, my obtuse non friend, should learn to read for comprehension. I
know you like to pontificate but your repeated posts indicate that you
aren't following the discussion with any degree of attention. If you weren't
always so keen to grandstand and show off, you might actually make some
sense more often.

You should avoid root crops in conjunction
with green doo. Leafy vegetables could be contaminated by rain splashing
doo onto the plant, so either mulch them to eliminate splashing or don't
grow them. Fruiting crops are probably safe; train any vining ones such
as cucumbers or tomatoes onto a support so that the fruit is off the
ground. Thoroughly wash any produce from the garden before eating it.
Or you could just use aged manure and save yourself the trouble of the
doo dos and the doo don'ts.
Or you could doo it Bush's way and just irradiate it, doo and all,
(yumm, yumm) and that would be the end of the problem (they say).

This ramble is further indication that you are responding to something in
your own head rather than what has so far been covered in this thread. Do
try to pay more attention to what is written, not what you think has been
written.

Don't try to obscure the issue with your wiley
Australian pas-de-deux.

Well if by "Australian pas de deux" you mean that David and I are trying
get you to discuss this topic using logic and/or experience, then I guess
I'd have to plead guilty. It sure beats doing the Texas two step.

Ah, you haven't lived until you've tried "Country Swing".

We were talking cow shit so why suddenly introduce the topic of human
shit?

To put a finer point on it, I was stressing (1) the FACT that feces is
a source for pathogenic organisms (see definition above) and (2) this
concern abates after three to four months of dry warmth and sunshine.
See:
http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/liv.../cwa01s11.html

Are you trying to prove that you are stupid or are you really just not
paying attention? Why refer me to a cite that I provided in the first
place? I was the one who posted that cite on the 18th of July. I read it
and digested it before you did and I posted it in response to a cite you
gave about the most nasty but rare form of E. coli. Most forms of E. coli
are harmless but that one is not.

If you would simply engage that dormant organ under your hat, these
conversations would go more quickly ;o))

And no doubt you think that your continued grandstanding and opinion on
everything even if not backed up by knowledge or experience is helpful. At
least you have some amusement value I suppose.

Old 22-07-2008, 07:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

And I hope that no one gets sick or worse because of your advice.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 22-07-2008, 12:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

For crying out loud! Do pay more attention.

I have already given advice in this very thread that whilst the OP can use
the steer crap, it shouldn't be used on lettuce or parsley. I just
reiterated above that we all know that manures have pathogens. If people
can't read this thread and can't figure out by now that manure contains
pathogens (as does soil, water and potting mix) and are so ignorant that
they can't figure out for themselves that they can just as easily become ill
stacking the stuff as you advise as they can from spreading it as I
recommend then they must be as sharp as frog spawn and would probably cut
off their own foot with a spade and consequently bleed to death if let loose
without supervision.

Old 22-07-2008, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

"Billy" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

At some point this dialog went from a discussion to a humorless
harangue. G'day.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars