Old 20-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Registered User

Default help with my bay tree

I have a standard bay tree that is around 7 or 8 years old and is in a pot outside the front of my house. I think that it has suffered frost damage. Most of the leaves are brown. It has a few that are still greenish. Can anyone give me some advice on saving it? I thought it would come back to life as it got warmer but it hasnt.
Old 20-07-2008, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/20/2008 10:02 AM, maisymouse wrote:
I have a standard bay tree that is around 7 or 8 years old and is in a
pot outside the front of my house. I think that it has suffered frost
damage. Most of the leaves are brown. It has a few that are still
greenish. Can anyone give me some advice on saving it? I thought it
would come back to life as it got warmer but it hasnt.

Where are you? What is your climate? Sweet bay (Laurus nobilis) is
hardy to about 30F.

Bay requires very good drainage. Does your pot have a drain hole? Have
roots from the bay plugged the hole?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 20-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Registered User

Hi we had a Bay Tree that we had at the house when we moved in at first i thaught as you that the frost had caused damage or the sea wind however this was not the case, it did not need re-potting either so i added growmore fertilizer to the top of the pot which each time it now rains or is watered gradually has gone to the roots for tremendous results our in-herited Bay Tree is now in full health, so try as we did and give a good feed however if it has been in its pot for a long time it may also benefit from a larger one with new compost. If we can be of any further help please ge back to us

Kathryn

www.carreglefn-nurseries.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisymouse View Post
Old 21-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Registered User

Another thaught about your bay tree, they prefer to be in a terracota pot rather than plastic.
kathryn
www.carreglefn-nurseries.co.ukQUOTE=David E. Ross;805148]On 7/20/2008 10:02 AM, maisymouse wrote:
I have a standard bay tree that is around 7 or 8 years old and is in a
pot outside the front of my house. I think that it has suffered frost
damage. Most of the leaves are brown. It has a few that are still
greenish. Can anyone give me some advice on saving it? I thought it
would come back to life as it got warmer but it hasnt.

Where are you? What is your climate? Sweet bay (Laurus nobilis) is
hardy to about 30F.

Bay requires very good drainage. Does your pot have a drain hole? Have
roots from the bay plugged the hole?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Gardening pages at http://www.rossde.com/garden/[/quote]

[IMG] code is On

Bay Tree Help Hedgecop United Kingdom 12 10-04-2012 06:02 PM
Bay tree rescue help please? under par Gardening 5 19-09-2010 09:29 PM
Newbie needs help with his Bay Tree and Blackcurrant bush Smutje United Kingdom 4 08-08-2007 04:12 PM
Laurel Nobilis - Bay tree Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 1 03-03-2003 02:06 PM
Non gardener needs help with bay tree Steve Drake United Kingdom 1 15-01-2003 06:08 PM