Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Registered User

Default Bay Tree Help

Hi All,

I have a Bay Tree on which the leaves are turning brown and falling off. The tree has been very healthy for the last 5 years and this has only started happening over the last 4 months. I have tried regularly spraying it with various bug killers but with little or no success. I have attached some photos and would really appreciate if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem may be and how to solve it.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Bay Tree Help-img_0791-3-.jpg   Bay Tree Help-img_0792-2-.jpg   Bay Tree Help-img_0795-2-.jpg   Bay Tree Help-img_0793-2-.jpg
Old 09-04-2012, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/04/2012 17:20, Hedgecop wrote:
Hi All,

I have a Bay Tree on which the leaves are turning brown and falling off.
The tree has been very healthy for the last 5 years and this has only
started happening over the last 4 months. I have tried regularly
spraying it with various bug killers but with little or no success. I
have attached some photos and would really appreciate if anyone has any
ideas as to what the problem may be and how to solve it.

I would be inclined to suggest that the damage to the tree is mostly due
to the wetting agents in the various bug killers damaging the waxy
coating of the leaves. Your best bet is probably to leave well alone for
now unless you can actually identify the pest with an eyeglass.

Examine the leaf stems for scale insect and if appropriate apply a
systemic insecticide but don't consume the leaves for ages afterwards.
The tree looks too big to go over with a stuff brush dipped in meths.

If all else fails and you manage to kill all the top growth by use of a
wetting agent (in my case diluted washing-up liquid) since I wanted the
plant for culinary use a decent sized plant will usually come back from
the roots even after all the upper parts are stone dead.

Hope this helps.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 09-04-2012, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 9, 5:20*pm, Hedgecop
wrote:
Hi All,

I have a Bay Tree on which the leaves are turning brown and falling off.
The tree has been very healthy for the last 5 years and this has only
started happening over the last 4 months. I have tried regularly
spraying it with various bug killers but with little or no success. I
have attached some photos and would really appreciate if anyone has any
ideas as to what the problem may be and how to solve it.

Thanks

|Filename: IMG_0791 (3).jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14883|
|Filename: IMG_0792 (2).jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14884|
|Filename: IMG_0795 (2).jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14885|
|Filename: IMG_0793 (2).jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14886|

Hedgecop

I'd spend some time cutting out the dead and thining out the growth a
bit then give it a good soak, looks to me as if it may be lack of
water, but as you don't say where you are I can't be sure.
Looks from your last picture as if there is some new growth in a few
of the stems, also having flower could be a sign of the tree being
under stress.
Now if you could just get Garden banter to pay us for our advice here
at UK. Rec. gardening we would all be happy.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hedgecop" wrote

[...]

Why are you spraying it? What "bugs" have you identified?
Looks like frost/winter damage to me.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 9, 5:20*pm, Hedgecop
wrote:
[...]

I have exactly the same problem. I notice that only the new growth is
affected.
I have put it down to frost.

There's not likely to be bugs around this time of year. Too cold.

I would leave the dead stuff for now. Cut off when the danger of frost
has passed, it may offer a little protection against further damage.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 16:20:39 +0000, Hedgecop
wrote:

[...]

First rule of gardening (well one of them) is not to splash herbicides
or pesticides over plants unless you have identified a problem which
that chemical is designed to tackle. Mixing chemicals can also lead to
problems.

If you've had problems over the last 4 months then I'll make a guess
that first of all you had some leaf browning thanks to a mix of cold
and (in many parts of UK) lack of rain. Both would stress the plant
and it's natural for it to turn off the supply of nutrients in an
effort to shed some surplus growth - sacrificing some of its foliage
for the good of the majority.

Your subsequent cocktail of chemicals probably accelerated that
process a bit. So lay off those completely unless you have an
identified problem and then use only sparingly.

Make sure the ground underneath it is well watered (but not
waterlogged). Around the end of April, give it some general purpose
plant food and repeat that roughly fortnightly through May.

Once all risk of frost is passed, you can prune the dead growth back,
to a developing bud or side shoot if possible but otherwise chop back
to where the dead stem joins its "parent branch". Bays will take hard
pruning and will recover over time (though may be a year if you prune
really hard).

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the nicely warm but wet east end
of Swansea Bay.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hedgecop" wrote in message

Hi All,

I have a Bay Tree on which the leaves are turning brown and falling off.
The tree has been very healthy for the last 5 years and this has only
started happening over the last 4 months. I have tried regularly
spraying it with various bug killers but with little or no success. I
have attached some photos and would really appreciate if anyone has any
ideas as to what the problem may be and how to solve it.

As already suggested, almost certainly lack of water.
I have seen this in my pot grown bay trees (when neglected) but not so far
in any planted in the ground.
The bay recovers once fed and watered - you just cut out the dead bits.
Bay trees are very hardy, so just regard this as a minor setback.
There are plenty of healthy looking leaves.

As suggested also, it could probably do with a good 'de-clutter' as the
photos show signs of pruning to maintain external shape, but also a confused
tangle of crossing branches inside the tree.

If the structure is simplified by cutting out as lot of the twisted and
crossing inner branches then it should grow out again within the year.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 10-04-2012, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/04/2012 18:20, Hedgecop wrote:
[...]

I'm amazed that people have problems with bay trees. Mine was getting
too cumbersome so I had to take a chainsaw to some of its branches! It
hasn't batted an eyelid. It grows (too well) every year and seeds itself
everywhere. There are hundreds of little self set bay trees coming up
all over the place. They are a real nuisance. One man's poorly tree is
another man's thug! Maybe a big difference is that mine is growing
directly in the ground rather than in a pot. It gets no care or
attention at all other than to cut some of its branches back every year.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. fr...
On 09/04/2012 18:20, Hedgecop wrote:
Hi All,

I have a Bay Tree on which the leaves are turning brown and falling off.
The tree has been very healthy for the last 5 years and this has only
started happening over the last 4 months. I have tried regularly
spraying it with various bug killers but with little or no success. I
have attached some photos and would really appreciate if anyone has any
ideas as to what the problem may be and how to solve it.

Thanks

|Filename: IMG_0791 (3).jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14883|
|Filename: IMG_0792 (2).jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14884|
|Filename: IMG_0795 (2).jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14885|
|Filename: IMG_0793 (2).jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14886|

I'm amazed that people have problems with bay trees. Mine was getting too
cumbersome so I had to take a chainsaw to some of its branches! It hasn't
batted an eyelid. It grows (too well) every year and seeds itself
everywhere. There are hundreds of little self set bay trees coming up all
over the place. They are a real nuisance. One man's poorly tree is another
man's thug! Maybe a big difference is that mine is growing directly in the
ground rather than in a pot. It gets no care or attention at all other
than to cut some of its branches back every year.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Ours are just the same. we have Bay Trees growing as weeds!! and they get
hacked back too!

TLC? Wot's that? ;-)

Mike

Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hedgecop" wrote in message

Hi All,

I have a Bay Tree on which the leaves are turning brown and falling off.
The tree has been very healthy for the last 5 years and this has only
started happening over the last 4 months. I have tried regularly
spraying it with various bug killers but with little or no success. I
have attached some photos and would really appreciate if anyone has any
ideas as to what the problem may be and how to solve it.

Thanks

|Filename: IMG_0791 (3).jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14883|
|Filename: IMG_0792 (2).jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14884|
|Filename: IMG_0795 (2).jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14885|
|Filename: IMG_0793 (2).jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14886|

Hedgecop

Most likely those two cold nights in Feb that as far as the plant was
concerned came out of the blue.

You should never spray things without knowing what the problem is, the only
pest that tends to effect bay is scale insect and spraying those is a waste
of time and effort

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I'm seeing signs of scale insect and some sort of fungal leaf spot.
The best way of dealing with the scale insect on such a mature tree is
to use a systemic insecticide. However, since you have already used
insecticide, I think it would be wise to wait at least a couple of
months before you consider treating it again.

As to the fungal problem, this is probably exacerbated by frost damage
which can cause cell collapse, leaving soft tissue open to disease.
Wait until all danger of frost is over in your area (you don't say where
you are), then cut out all dead and seriously damaged wood. Then
reassess the shape of the tree and further prune it to shape, if
necessary. I can't recommend a fungicide because I'm not familair with
a specific disease of Laurus nobilis (Sweet Bay), so I suggest you talk
to your local garden centre about a systemic fungicide for your tree.
Take a sample of the damaged and spotted leaves to assist them.

Sadly, you will not be able to use your bay leaves for culinary purposes
until the tree is totally free of these chemical treatments. Consult
the label(s) or manufacturer for this information.

In the meantime, keep your tree well watered, allowing it to drain well
between soakings. I would be wary of feeding it until after the frosts,
as feeding will create soft growth which may be frosted again or prone
to fungal attack.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London