Old 23-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Registered User

Default Shade tolerant plants

Now the foxgloves have stopped flowering what plant would be a good replacement in a shadey boarder, that will offer height and colour? My boarder is looking so bare now.
Old 23-07-2008, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/22/2008 4:28 PM, foxglove77 wrote:
Now the foxgloves have stopped flowering what plant would be a good
replacement in a shadey boarder, that will offer height and colour? My
boarder is looking so bare now.

Where are you? What is your climate?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 23-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Registered User

PS. I live in London, England
Old 23-07-2008, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/22/2008 4:28 PM, foxglove77 wrote:
Now the foxgloves have stopped flowering what plant would be a good
replacement in a shadey boarder, that will offer height and colour? My
boarder is looking so bare now.

Impatiens, geraniums, pelargoniums (often called "geraniums" but not
really the same). These will all do okay with some sun but also
tolerate complete shade.

Old 23-07-2008, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 7/22/2008 4:28 PM, foxglove77 wrote:
Now the foxgloves have stopped flowering what plant would be a good
replacement in a shadey boarder, that will offer height and colour? My
boarder is looking so bare now.

Impatiens, geraniums, pelargoniums (often called "geraniums" but not
really the same). These will all do okay with some sun but also
tolerate complete shade.

Hosta which I add caladiums too but the latter is annual about here.
I like white christmas as the white in dark places is neat.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 23-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxglove77 View Post
Now the foxgloves have stopped flowering what plant would be a good replacement in a shadey boarder, that will offer height and colour? My boarder is looking so bare now.
Depends a bit on how shady the border is.

Martagon lilies will do very well in light shade, and will naturalize; Japanese anenomes the same - though try to keep to the white forms which are less rampant. Both flower after foxgloves. The native wood gentian is well worth considering.
Old 23-07-2008, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

For the shadiest spots where even impatiens or sweet william complain for
need of light, English or Spanish bluebells can't be beat. They'll even
thrive right up next to the roots of big shrubs, or back under the eaves
of the house that get almost no water. They're only present in spring of
course but that's enough. I wouldn't waste a choice garden space on them
because they're just so damned great in spots that are otherwise
ungardenable.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 24-07-2008, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 23, 5:59 pm, (paghat) wrote:
For the shadiest spots where even impatiens or sweet william complain for
need of light, English or Spanish bluebells can't be beat. They'll even
thrive right up next to the roots of big shrubs, or back under the eaves
of the house that get almost no water. They're only present in spring of
course but that's enough. I wouldn't waste a choice garden space on them
because they're just so damned great in spots that are otherwise
ungardenable.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:http://www.paghat.com
visit my film reviews website:http://www.weirdwildrealm.com

Sounds like a Jack-in-the-Pulpit I planted eons ago at my mom's house.
It was right at the base of a White Pine, and popped up every year
like clockwork. Hmmm, there's that wasted space between the shed and
the compost...I wonder...

Chris
Old 24-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Registered User

Hi

In our garden the plants which quite happily take the place of the foxgloves that have finished are the lupins with their wide choice of colours and their long flowering period I find these are a good choice.

kathryn

www.carreglefn-nurseries.co.uk

Old 25-07-2008, 06:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

"foxglove77" wrote in message

Now the foxgloves have stopped flowering what plant would be a good
replacement in a shadey boarder, that will offer height and colour? My
boarder is looking so bare now.

I don't know where you live but here in the mid south, zone 6, my hostas
are starting to bloom in shades of lavender to white. The Impatiens have
been in full bloom in the shade since late April.

--
foxglove77