Old 05-04-2006, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pleb

Default need help for a sloping garden

Hey greenfingers

I have quite a large garden ... which sounds nice ... but it is all on a
slope. The slop varies between 30 - 45 degrees in places :-(

I am trying to sell my house .. but all of the viewers are saying "The
garden is an off put". I have put some photos of the garden he

http://www.certifiedgeek.co.uk/wp-co...garden1024.jpg 1024 x 720

or

http://www.certifiedgeek.co.uk/wp-co.../garden800.jpg 800 x 600

The photo doesnt show how steep and slopey the garden is, but it is.

I know most people say Terrace - but this would still be a big job. Planners
have declined permission to build on it aswell.

Any further idea?? No matter how extreme?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Old 05-04-2006, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pleb

"pleb" wrote in message
. uk...
Hey greenfingers

I have quite a large garden ... which sounds nice ... but it is all on a
slope. The slop varies between 30 - 45 degrees in places :-(

I am trying to sell my house .. but all of the viewers are saying "The
garden is an off put". I have put some photos of the garden he

http://www.certifiedgeek.co.uk/wp-co...garden1024.jpg 1024 x 720

error in link should be:

http://www.certifiedgeek.co.uk/wp-co...garden1024.jpg

Old 05-04-2006, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

It didn't put you off when you bought the place. Someone somewhere wants
your house and 'can' do something with it. Stick with it. Which way does it
face? Can't tell by the shadows cos we don't know what time of day the photy
was 'took'

Terrace? It might pay you if you have toooooooooo many refusals on that
count, to get it terraced.

Mike

"pleb" wrote in message
k...

Old 05-04-2006, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"pleb" wrote in message
. uk...
Hey greenfingers

I have quite a large garden ... which sounds nice ... but it is all on a
slope. The slop varies between 30 - 45 degrees in places :-(

I am trying to sell my house .. but all of the viewers are saying "The
garden is an off put". I have put some photos of the garden he

http://www.certifiedgeek.co.uk/wp-co...garden1024.jpg 1024 x 720
or
http://www.certifiedgeek.co.uk/wp-co.../garden800.jpg 800 x 600

The photo doesnt show how steep and slopey the garden is, but it is.

I know most people say Terrace - but this would still be a big job. Planners
have declined permission to build on it aswell.

Any further idea?? No matter how extreme?
Thanks in advance
Simon

I presume this is the back garden?

Would be ideal to make into a waterfall + stream...........
Some people love slopes.
You need to wait for the right buyer - or someone with a mountain goat "~)
Jenny

Old 05-04-2006, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

I presume this is the back garden?

with a for sale board on the wall?;-)

Old 05-04-2006, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

pleb writes
Hey greenfingers

I have quite a large garden ... which sounds nice ... but it is all on a
slope. The slop varies between 30 - 45 degrees in places :-(

I am trying to sell my house .. but all of the viewers are saying "The
garden is an off put". I have put some photos of the garden he

http://www.certifiedgeek.co.uk/wp-co...garden1024.jpg 1024 x 720

or

http://www.certifiedgeek.co.uk/wp-co.../garden800.jpg 800 x 600

The photo doesnt show how steep and slopey the garden is, but it is.

I know most people say Terrace - but this would still be a big job. Planners
have declined permission to build on it aswell.

Any further idea?? No matter how extreme?

I suspect they are using this as an excuse for some other reason that
they are not tempted. Talk to the valuer from the estate agent and see
if there is anything else that might be putting them off.

From the photograph, it looks uninteresting, just a difficult-to-mow
piece of grass - buy in some bedding plants, keep changing them so you
always have a good display. Draw people's attention away from the slope
by giveing them something else to look at.
--
Kay
Old 05-04-2006, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

K wrote:
[...]

From the photograph, it looks uninteresting, just a difficult-to-mow
piece of grass - buy in some bedding plants, keep changing them so
you always have a good display. Draw people's attention away from the
slope by giveing them something else to look at.

That's right. But I personally love sloping gardens: maybe you just have
to wait for Mr or Mrs Right. If there's a lot of equity, it might be
worth spending some money on breaking the line up a bit to make it more
saleable, but you won't get that money back in cold cash, and during any
work it may look pretty horrible. The problem does indeed seem to be
that it's the front garden, not the back: people are probably thinking
that however beautiful they make it, it still won't feel private. Right
now, I'd lose the clothes drier -- not to mention the bucket! Then get
some colour and some height in along the wall and the path, to make it
interesting, and to hint at what could be done.

If any terracing's to be done, of course the main place to consider is
the top, not the bottom. Up there by the house you can have a nice
little level area, maybe with a table and chairs, or a good-looking
children's play house or something, screened from the road by a few
trees in tubs. The screen doesn't need to be actual: a psychological
barrier is all you want, especially if there's a pleasant view.

--
Mike.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

"K" wrote in message
pleb writes
Hey greenfingers

I have quite a large garden ... which sounds nice ... but it is all on a
slope. The slop varies between 30 - 45 degrees in places :-(

I am trying to sell my house .. but all of the viewers are saying "The
garden is an off put". I have put some photos of the garden he

I know most people say Terrace - but this would still be a big job.
Planners
have declined permission to build on it aswell.

Any further idea?? No matter how extreme?

I suspect they are using this as an excuse for some other reason that they
are not tempted. Talk to the valuer from the estate agent and see if there
is anything else that might be putting them off.

The crack in the wall that now extends to 8 bricks (referred to at the same
site) is probably something to do with it.

Y'don't think he's just trying to attract traffic to his blog, do you?
--
Brian

Old 05-04-2006, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.mc

I think a down hill skier would be more suited to this property, wowzer!!
that is slopey.I think some kind of terracing would be a better option, but
would the initial cost be effective?

--
Regards
p.mc

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "pleb" contains these words:

Hey greenfingers

I have quite a large garden ... which sounds nice ... but it is all on a
slope. The slop varies between 30 - 45 degrees in places :-(

I am trying to sell my house .. but all of the viewers are saying "The
garden is an off put".

Face the fact that many people make a hobby of viewing houses without
the slightest intention of moving. Other daydreamers insist on viewing
property which is beyond their financial means; or, hopelessly
unsuitable for their needs.They haven't the social skills to just look,
say "no thanks" and leave; they make up some damn silly face-saving
excuse instead.

I had a couple reject ours because the (totally enclosed, 4 acre)
garden contained what they identified as "an unacceptable hazard to our
2 yr old".... a wooden telephone/powerline pole . They pretended that
the child would attempt to climb it, and after he shinned up the first
vertical smooth 15 ft, he would then ascend another 20 + ft on the
linesman steps and fry himself. Another couple, having driven 60 miles
to view, told me crossly " 60 miles is much too far for us to commute
to work ".

Don't waste time and money trying to change the essential location/
nature of a house on a slope. Instead, think up and promote the
advantages..."a birds-eye view", or "not overlooked", or "
free-draining and safe from flooding".

Janet

Old 05-04-2006, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

Zig Zag stepping stone pathway cut in all down? use containers either side
of path ? This will break up the effect of a dry ski slope.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JB

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 15:14:03 GMT, "pleb" wrote:

Any further idea?? No matter how extreme?

Rebuild the house so it slopes at 30 - 45 degrees? Viewers will then
think the garden is level ;-)

Old 06-04-2006, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"pleb" wrote in message
. uk...
Hey greenfingers

I have quite a large garden ... which sounds nice ... but it is all on a
slope. The slop varies between 30 - 45 degrees in places :-(

I am trying to sell my house .. but all of the viewers are saying "The
garden is an off put". I have put some photos of the garden he

http://www.certifiedgeek.co.uk/wp-co...garden1024.jpg 1024 x 720

or

http://www.certifiedgeek.co.uk/wp-co.../garden800.jpg 800 x 600

The photo doesnt show how steep and slopey the garden is, but it is.

I know most people say Terrace - but this would still be a big job.

Planners
have declined permission to build on it aswell.

Any further idea?? No matter how extreme?

Thanks in advance

Simon

do you have on site covered parking? The bottom corner of the section looks
ideally placed for a garage. If this was cut into the hill that would give
you a starting contour in which to terrace of landscape around. It will cost
$$ however.

rob

Old 06-04-2006, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JB

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 21:59:00 +1200, "George.com"
wrote:

"pleb" wrote in message
[...]

I have an arrangement like that at my pad. The advantages are that it
levels the front garden to some extent and increases the provacy from
the road side. The major down side is that the garage is perpetually
damp inside, so if you go down that route you will need to consder
tanking the garage or provide draining channels inside the garage to
remove water penetrating the rear wall.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

news
wrote:

"pleb" wrote in message
[...]

many older houses in our city have garages built on the road frontage of the
property and cut into the bank. You basically can drive your care straight
in off the road but need to walk up to the house. They are not popular anymo
re as people want internal access and you are right, can be damp, so need
good drainage. The other issue is security being right on the road frontage.
Despite all of that however I find some charm in them reminding us of a
yesteryear. They are a facet of history 50-70 years back that will not be
repeated and can be a nice complement to a well restored period house.

rob

Old 06-04-2006, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pleb

Y'don't think he's just trying to attract traffic to his blog, do you?
--
Brian

Have you read my blog?? Theres about 4 posts!! It's not exactly a jaw
dropping read.

I have not mentioned my blog at all - You have though! - It is just
somewhere to put the images.

And yes - the slope if the garden (of which the house is built on) is most
likely something to do with the crack.

Thanks anyway - Mr Cynical ;-)

Simon

Sloping Veg garden Patrick666 Gardening 8 14-08-2008 10:27 AM
Sloping soil - process of leveling and need help Meatball Gardening 0 12-04-2005 08:13 PM
Sloping and Small Mel United Kingdom 0 30-01-2004 10:33 AM
Sloping and Small (Long reply with solution) Mike United Kingdom 1 12-01-2004 10:02 AM
pond on a sloping garden Tony Ponds 1 16-05-2003 01:44 AM