Old 19-09-2008, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Comcast is ending newsgroup support :(

And Comcast is only following a trend here. Other broadband providers led
the way by dropping Usenet service (AT&T and Time Warner). So I spare
Comcast any *special* blame or criticism about this. The big providers
see
Usenet as a potential legal liability and not an asset. Easier to ditch
it, and
any possible responsibility for it.

--

In a way I agree with you in that I don't blame Comcast for dropping usenet
service. Few people use it, and most ISPs have ****-poor usenet service at

Giganews rulz. Incredible retention, and if you need usenet, it's a steal at
$8 a month.

Old 20-09-2008, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
http://motzarella.org/

I hear this is free and good.

Victoria

"If the present and the future
were contingent on the past,
then the present and the future
would have existed in the past."

-Lama Tsongkhapa

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/

A day or two ago, I replied to this thread recommending Teranews. I posted
that reply through Teranews, just to see if it was still working for me. I'm
a Comcaster, but I've had the Teranews account as a backup, since the time
before Comcast contracted with Giganews for newsgroup access.

I still haven't seen any of my Teranews posts show up... Now I'm trying
Motzarella. We'll see.

dwight

Old 20-09-2008, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:09:53 -0400, "dwight"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
. ..
http://motzarella.org/

I hear this is free and good.

Victoria

"If the present and the future
were contingent on the past,
then the present and the future
would have existed in the past."

-Lama Tsongkhapa

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/

A day or two ago, I replied to this thread recommending Teranews. I posted
that reply through Teranews, just to see if it was still working for me.
I'm
a Comcaster, but I've had the Teranews account as a backup, since the time
before Comcast contracted with Giganews for newsgroup access.

I still haven't seen any of my Teranews posts show up... Now I'm trying
Motzarella. We'll see.

dwight

I am seeing this one if you sent it using motzarella. We have Road
Runner and they dropped Usenet months ago. We always used Giganews as
a back up anyway, so now we bumped up to a larger download capacity,
but find we don't need it. It's ten dollars a month and well worth
it. Rarely do we miss a post.

Victoria

Giganews was the outfit that Comcast farmed their newsgroup accounts to, and
I admit that they've been excellent.

I'm trying Motzarella, because I can't argue with FREE. So far, no failures
(and it's been all of about three hours). The posts I sent through Teranews
are simply gone, and they were sent between 36 and 24 hours ago. Strange,
never had that problem with them before.

Anyway, I don't use any of the binary newsgroups, so I'm not concerned about
bandwidth. The fact that Comcast is dumping newsgroups is, to me, an
annoyance. The fact that I had to find out by reading rec.gardens just ticks
me off.

dwight

Old 20-09-2008, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

I use motzarella. org and have no problems. I can even use Free Agent
with it, which I much prefer over Google groups.

Old 20-09-2008, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"dwight" wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:09:53 -0400, "dwight"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Are you ticked off at me for posting it on rec.gardens or at Comcast?

Giganews is not the only ones on the net their are many others.
One might take a look at http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php
2.95/month sounds cheap. Me I will wait until the end of October to
decide to go free, pay or use the web.

So maybe I didn't miss post.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Old 21-09-2008, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
[...]

I tried connecting with motzarella. Unfortunately, none of the
common news groups that I use like 'gardening' and 'boating' could
not be found in a search to subscribe. Not much use to me, unless I
am doing something incorrect here.

Sherwin
Old 21-09-2008, 06:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

http://motzarella.org/

I hear this is free and good.

Victoria

"If the present and the future
were contingent on the past,
then the present and the future
would have existed in the past."

-Lama Tsongkhapa

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/

As I said in another post, I cannot find rec.gardens to subscribe to
with motzarella.

Sherwin
Old 21-09-2008, 11:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

* Sherwin wrote:

As I said in another post, I cannot find rec.gardens to subscribe to
with motzarella.

Sorry for the disturbance, followup-to set to poster.

Please read

http://news.motzarella.org/index.php...#Login-No-Auth

´-----------------------------------------------------------
| Mozilla Thunderbird
|
| Tools - Account Settings - Server Settings
| Always request authentication when connecting to this server
`-----------------------------------------------------------

hth

--
Too many ingredients in the soup, no room for a spoon
http://news.motzarella.org
Old 21-09-2008, 01:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sherwin wrote:

I tried connecting with motzarella. Unfortunately, none of the
common news groups that I use like 'gardening' and 'boating' could
not be found in a search to subscribe. Not much use to me, unless I
am doing something incorrect here.

Sherwin

I just set up motzarella in Thunderbird, to see how it works. It's just
a step or two more convoluted than with my regular newsreader, but if
you follow the instructions at motzarella.org, it can be done.
Obviously, rec.gardens is among the available newsgroups, along with
several sub-groups.

If you need any further help in getting set up, feel free to contact me
directly.

dwight
Old 21-09-2008, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

roadrunner quit supplying newsgroups too, but I didnt notice cause I went with a free
reader... greatnowhere, which is gone now too. signed upwith motzarella, hope this
lasts. Ingrid

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 19:52:34 -0400, Phisherman wrote:

I find using newsgroups less and less since AT&T no longer supplies
the entire set of newsgroups. But, there are plenty of free forums
out there. My neighbors that use Comcast hate it (lousy service when
cloudy and quite expensive). Some say it should be called "Communist
Cast."

Old 21-09-2008, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

thank you. it is working!

http://motzarella.org/

I hear this is free and good.

Victoria

Old 21-09-2008, 09:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

you have to sign up
you have to wait until they send you username and password
you have to enter that into "log on information" in the configuration of your
newsgroup reader
you then have to download the entire list of available newsgroups and reselect the
ones you want (they named the same ones with a [2] after the newsgroup name.

at the time you select the newsgroups they will download the latest 100 or so headers
and bodies.
Ingrid

Old 21-09-2008, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

This newsgroup, and I haven't checked but I think virtually all of
them, are available through Google. If you go to Google, at the top
where is says 'more', choose 'groups' and you can view everything.
Sign up for an account with Google and you can post through your
browser.

Ah yes, it works, I just decided to try out my old Google account to
send this message. Usually I use my ISP (in Oz, probably not useful to
you...) through my email reader, but seeing as I was suggesting the
google approach I thought I might as well test it out. Actually this
is quite handy for traveling too, if you want to keep up by using an
internet cafe or a friends computer.

cheers

jules

On Sep 18, 3:41 am, "Dan L." wrote:
I just heard about this: Comcast is ending newsgroup support

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

For those that use comcast newsgroups here on rec.gardens.
I believe they are many here. Use Web based support groups or pay extra
money and get a third party newsgroup provider in these tough economic
times

Time to think, do I pay more or say goodby before October 25, 2008?

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Old 24-09-2008, 06:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

dwight wrote:
Sherwin wrote:

I tried connecting with motzarella. Unfortunately, none of the
common news groups that I use like 'gardening' and 'boating' could
not be found in a search to subscribe. Not much use to me, unless I
am doing something incorrect here.

Sherwin

I just set up motzarella in Thunderbird, to see how it works. It's just
a step or two more convoluted than with my regular newsreader, but if
you follow the instructions at motzarella.org, it can be done.
Obviously, rec.gardens is among the available newsgroups, along with
several sub-groups.

If you need any further help in getting set up, feel free to contact me
directly.

dwight

The motzareela website says to set it to 'always authenticate' to
get it to load all newsgroups. I can't find this magical setting.

Sherwin