Old 17-09-2008, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Comcast is ending newsgroup support :(

I just heard about this: Comcast is ending newsgroup support

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

For those that use comcast newsgroups here on rec.gardens.
I believe they are many here. Use Web based support groups or pay extra
money and get a third party newsgroup provider in these tough economic
times

Time to think, do I pay more or say goodby before October 25, 2008?

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 17-09-2008, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 17, 1:41 pm, "Dan L." wrote:
I just heard about this: Comcast is ending newsgroup support

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

For those that use comcast newsgroups here on rec.gardens.
I believe they are many here. Use Web based support groups or pay extra
money and get a third party newsgroup provider in these tough economic
times

Time to think, do I pay more or say goodby before October 25, 2008?

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

If Earthlink serves your area, they not only provide free Usenet
access, you can access their servers from anywhere- and that's a rare
perk these days.

Chris
Old 17-09-2008, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Chris wrote:

On Sep 17, 1:41 pm, "Dan L." wrote:
I just heard about this: Comcast is ending newsgroup support

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

For those that use comcast newsgroups here on rec.gardens.
I believe they are many here. Use Web based support groups or pay extra
money and get a third party newsgroup provider in these tough economic
times

Time to think, do I pay more or say goodby before October 25, 2008?

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

If Earthlink serves your area, they not only provide free Usenet
access, you can access their servers from anywhere- and that's a rare
perk these days.

Chris

Hmmm ... A rare perk indeed these days! However, going from 10 Mbs to
dialup or even DSL is worse than death or even paying extra to Giganews
or Newsguy.

I still use some free newsgroups in other areas that is not found on
Giganews. I will search for first for free usenet groups that are free.
Do I want to pay extra to access this newsgroup and others? Maybe.

The posting is for others that use comcast and I believe they are many
here. It may be another steak in the heart for usenet. Another old form
of technology that is headed for extinction

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 18-09-2008, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Comcast is the new AOL. We would be better off without them. I don't need an
ISP that tells me what I can or cannot do with my Internet service. All your
Internet are belong to Comcast.

Old 18-09-2008, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

I find using newsgroups less and less since AT&T no longer supplies
the entire set of newsgroups. But, there are plenty of free forums
out there. My neighbors that use Comcast hate it (lousy service when
cloudy and quite expensive). Some say it should be called "Communist
Cast."

Old 18-09-2008, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Zootal" wrote:

Comcast is the new AOL. We would be better off without them. I don't need an
ISP that tells me what I can or cannot do with my Internet service. All your
Internet are belong to Comcast.

So please, please ... tell me who is your ISP so I can look into it
Does your provider include newsgroup service or do you pay extra like I
will I will be doing soon?

My ISP choices a Cable (Fast, cost is moderate), dialup (way too
slow), DSL (slow), satellite (expensive and slow), Wireless cell (slow)
or go to the local not so cool or as secure Coffee Shop and Library!

I got it! You must have your own T6 line, only about $1,000 per month!
That is how no one tells you what you can or cannot do with your
Internet Service. Waaay Toooo Coooool

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 18-09-2008, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Dan L." wrote in message
In article ,
"Zootal" wrote:

Comcast is the new AOL. We would be better off without them. I don't need
an
ISP that tells me what I can or cannot do with my Internet service. All
your
Internet are belong to Comcast.

So please, please ... tell me who is your ISP so I can look into it
Does your provider include newsgroup service or do you pay extra like I
will I will be doing soon?

My ISP choices a Cable (Fast, cost is moderate), dialup (way too
slow), DSL (slow), satellite (expensive and slow), Wireless cell (slow)
or go to the local not so cool or as secure Coffee Shop and Library!

I got it! You must have your own T6 line, only about $1,000 per month!
That is how no one tells you what you can or cannot do with your
Internet Service. Waaay Toooo Coooool

Hmm...I detect sarcasm LOL.

I'm with CenturyTel. I have a 3Mbps DSL line, and the only restrictions on
it are I can't do anything illegal. Unlike Comcasts draconian acceptable use
policies, Centel lets me run public servers, p2p servers, host game servers,
etc. If it's not illegal, I can max out my bandwidth 24/7. And it costs
~$60/month. And they don't tell me what I can or cannot do with my service,
barring illegal activities and perhaps some immoral/unethical/porn related
activities - hmm...I'm not sure if I can run a porn site or not, not that
I'm interested in doing so. I never bothered to check since that really
isn't high on my to-do list.

I have a paid Giganews account, $8/month. I've had this for several years
now, as I've never found an ISP that provides newsgroup service that is
worthwhile.

Cable blows chunks. Most if not all cable providers have uber restrictive
acceptable use policies. DSL is good if you have decent phone lines and can
get the higher speeds. Most DSL providers are not very restrictive with
their acceptable use policies, so you can run web servers, etc., and for a
nominal fee you can get a static IP address. no-ip works just fine for me
.

Old 18-09-2008, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

I have a paid Giganews account, $8/month. I've had this for several years
now, as I've never found an ISP that provides newsgroup service that is
worthwhile.

Cable blows chunks. Most if not all cable providers have uber restrictive
acceptable use policies. DSL is good if you have decent phone lines and
can get the higher speeds. Most DSL providers are not very restrictive
with their acceptable use policies, so you can run web servers, etc., and
for a nominal fee you can get a static IP address. no-ip works just fine
for me .

I might add that I run two ftp servers, an http server, two half-life
servers, an OpenNap server (slavanap), WinMX and SoulSeek, all 24/7. Centel
could not care less so long as I don't share anything that is illegal to
share, like copyrighted media content.

Old 18-09-2008, 12:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 17, 5:02 pm, "Dan L." wrote:
In article
,

Chris wrote:
On Sep 17, 1:41 pm, "Dan L." wrote:
[...]

Earthlink offers cable service (through a deal with Roadrunner) in my
area.

Chris

Old 18-09-2008, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Zootal" wrote:

[...]

Useful information Zootal

With comcast. I do have the triple play, $135/month. Internet part is
$45 for an average of 10Mbs line. My max bandwidth is 250GB/month. Some
of my programming files and downloads are very large many over 200MB. So
speed is a factor for me and the bandwidth is more than enough for my
needs.

$60/ month is high for a DSL line, are you paying extra for a business
package that allows public servers? plus $8/month for Giganews. If I
wanted to run a public server I would have to upgrade to a business
package.

I will wait till the end of October. I will try the free newsgroup
servers first like http://news.motzarella.org/ before paying extra to
GigaNews.

Even thou I do live in the country. There is a T6 Fiber Optics and
Comcast lines running in front of my home going to the Power Companies
six miles down the road. Fortunate for me the wind always blows away
from me.

I am surprised that no other comcast person has not responded yet.
So it seems I have missed posted here.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Old 18-09-2008, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

$60/ month is high for a DSL line, are you paying extra for a business
package that allows public servers? plus $8/month for Giganews. If I
wanted to run a public server I would have to upgrade to a business
package.

I just pulled up my bill. Internet services is $49.95. This gives me 3Mbps
down, and 512Kbps up. I'd like more upload, but I'm getting by. They stopped
offering the 768K upload plans a while back. There are no restrictions on
the service other then the usual no p0rn/illegal/etc.

Comcast is the new AOL. Comcast users don't know how to use newsgroup LOL.
Seriously, though....isn't anyone here using Comcast, and are willing to
defend them?

Old 18-09-2008, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dan L." wrote in

m:

So please, please ... tell me who is your ISP so I can look
into it Does your provider include newsgroup service or
do you pay extra like I will I will be doing soon?

i have a dial-up account at a privately held ISP which i
access through cable access with Metrocast.
i loathe Metrocast as a cable provider (so i have satallite
TV for the junkies in the house), but the internet access is
not bad. i have no idea how their news server is as i use my
ISPs server & mail...
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 18-09-2008, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

In my area, the only choices are comcast and at&t. I really don't
appreciate the stranglehold that these and other behemoths have over
my communications, not to mention the universally terrible service, so
I go with the cheapest DSL plan with no phone service and use Magic
jack ($20/year) for VoIP. Trying to give them as little $ as possible.

Of course now my wife had to get a cell phone for her new job and,
instead of a cheap phone with minimum service, she got a Palm centro
with unlimited data. I am completely and shamefully addicted. :-(

*Posted from moble device with very tiny keyboard.
Old 19-09-2008, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Zootal" wrote:

$60/ month is high for a DSL line, are you paying extra for a business
package that allows public servers? plus $8/month for Giganews. If I
wanted to run a public server I would have to upgrade to a business
package.

I just pulled up my bill. Internet services is $49.95. This gives me 3Mbps
down, and 512Kbps up. I'd like more upload, but I'm getting by. They stopped
offering the 768K upload plans a while back. There are no restrictions on
the service other then the usual no p0rn/illegal/etc.

Comcast is the new AOL. Comcast users don't know how to use newsgroup LOL.
Seriously, though....isn't anyone here using Comcast, and are willing to
defend them?

I agree that Comcast is the new AOL. Comcast is now the biggest kid on
the block. For now Comcast is my only real choice. I am too far from a
switching station to get DSL. I really cannot complain about Comcast, it
works and the cost per speed is acceptable. Like almost everything in
life, as time goes buy I get less goods for more money.

My upload is 2Mbs. For me this is the end of this thread.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 19-09-2008, 11:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Dan L. said:

I really cannot complain about Comcast, it
works and the cost per speed is acceptable. Like almost everything in
life, as time goes buy I get less goods for more money.

The cereal makers keep the box the same and shrink the net weight.
The chocolate bars get a little smaller and the price stays the same. Then
one day you get the "Now! Bigger size!" at a higher price.

I was very happy when I got cable internet service because the phone lines
were so noisy and ancient that dial-up was unreliable (frequent disconnects).

When Comcast bought out my previous cable/internet server, I lost
newsgroups. Then Comcast added them back. Now they are going away
again.

And Comcast is only following a trend here. Other broadband providers led
the way by dropping Usenet service (AT&T and Time Warner). So I spare
Comcast any *special* blame or criticism about this. The big providers see
Usenet as a potential legal liability and not an asset. Easier to ditch it, and
any possible responsibility for it.

After enlightenment, the laundry.