Old 22-09-2008, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tree ID Help Please

It looks like it could be a silver maple (Acer saccharinum). This is a very
fast-growing, short-lived maple tree. The town I grew up in had planted them
as street trees all over the place because they are fast growers, but they
drop a lot of seeds ("helicopters") that will sprout everywhere, drop loads
of bark and many small branches, and frequently will drop major branches in
a good windstorm (not to mention ice storm); they have shallow,
far-spreading roots that ruin the lawn and heave the sidewalk or driveway;
and they go into senescence and terminal decay after around 50 years, so
many consider them to be "trash" trees and many towns don't let them be
planted as street trees anymore.

Typical identifiers are a lighter green, slightly silvery underside to the
leaves that especially shows when it is windy, and a slightly silvery outer
bark that splits into long strips about an inch or two wide that peel off
and drop in great profusion as the trunk expands in diameter. Also the
helicopter seeds (once the tree reaches maturity) -- these dry to brown and
are single, with a little egg-shaped seed at one end. They are very good
twirlers and may be carried quite far in the wind. A gust of wind will start
a rain of hundreds or thousands of these at a time from a big tree. (Compare
to the "helicopters" of Norway maples which usually have flat seeds and
often come fused together into Siamese twin pairs that makes them much
poorer at any kind of flight. :-)

On the bright side, if the tree is located far enough from buildings and
pavement, they will produce wonderful shade over a huge area in many fewer
decades than it would take to achieve the same benefits from a less
ephemeral species like an oak.

Utopia in Decay
http://home.comcast.net/~kevin.cherkauer/site

Kevin Cherkauer

"ovoco5" wrote:

Good evening,

I planted this tree four years ago, and for life of me I can't remember
what it's called. I think it could be an Acer or Maple? but I'm not sure
at all. Could someone please help me out with an ID.

[image: http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...oco5/tree.jpg]

Old 22-09-2008, 01:56 AM
Registered User

Good evening,

I planted this tree four years ago, and for life of me I can't remember what it's called. I think it could be an Acer or Maple? but I'm not sure at all. Could someone please help me out with an ID.

One thing is for sure, it grows very fast from spring to summer. So fast infact it's branches stretch out so they become quite thin and I've had one or two snap in the wind.

I'd like to prune/cut it back for the spring time. Could someone advise me too as to when is the best time to do this.

Thank you in advance,

Cheers

Greg
Old 22-09-2008, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 21, 8:56�pm, ovoco5 wrote:
Good evening,

I planted this tree four years ago, and for life of me I can't remember
what it's called. I think it could be an Acer or Maple? but I'm not sure
at all. Could someone please help me out with an ID.

[image:http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...oco5/tree.jpg]

One thing is for sure, it grows very fast from spring to summer. So
fast infact it's branches stretch out so they become quite thin and
I've had one or two snap in the wind.

I'd like to prune/cut it back for the spring time. Could someone advise
me too as to when is the best time to do this.

Yup, they grow fast and huge... can easily reach 80' tall and 60'
wide. Is that your house I see there? Now is the time to remove it.
It's way too close to your house, won't be long its branches will be
directly on and over your roof. Silver maple is a very weak wooded
tree
Old 22-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Registered User

Thanks for the Info - yes it must be a Silver Maple. They do grow very quick and It's getting to the stage I need to prune it!

So can anyone suggest when the best time of year is to prune such a tree. In the winter time it looses it's leafs, so would that have any bearing on when I should prune it ?

Also whilst talking of pruning does anyone have a link to a website that explains the best practices of pruning a tree ?

Thanks for your help,

Cheers

Greg

Old 23-09-2008, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 23, 10:20�am, ovoco5 wrote:
The tree isn't that old, and it's 30 feet away from the house (it's a
fence in the background and it gives good shade for the garden) So I'd
like to keep it under control by prunning it.

So would this time of year be a good time to do this, or should I wait
until the leaves have dropped ?

At 30' feet distance from your house that tree WILL eventually destroy
your house foundation and in turn your house. Silver maple is one of
the very least favorable choices to plant on residential lots. I urge
you in the strongest possible way to remove that tree now (while still
manageable), before it causes you severe grief.

http://hort.ufl.edu/trees/ACESACA.pdf

Old 23-09-2008, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote:
On Sep 23, 10:20�am, ovoco5 wrote:
The tree isn't that old, and it's 30 feet away from the house (it's a
fence in the background and it gives good shade for the garden) So I'd
like to keep it under control by prunning it.

So would this time of year be a good time to do this, or should I wait
until the leaves have dropped ?

At 30' feet distance from your house that tree WILL eventually destroy
your house foundation and in turn your house. Silver maple is one of
the very least favorable choices to plant on residential lots. I urge
you in the strongest possible way to remove that tree now (while still
manageable), before it causes you severe grief.

http://hort.ufl.edu/trees/ACESACA.pdf

I agree with your advice to cut it down. I had one about 25 feet from
house and had to cut one limb scraping garage roof edge. Finally had it
removed.
Old 23-09-2008, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 23, 6:12�pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
[...]

Good decision. Silver maple also has a rather shallow root system,
heavy wind will blow it down. A tree that size will total a house and
probably kill those inside. I don't want any large trees within a
hundred feet of my house.

Old 24-09-2008, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 23, 5:54*pm, Sheldon wrote:

I agree with your advice to cut it down. I had one about 25 feet from
house and had to cut one limb scraping garage roof edge. Finally had it
removed.

Good decision. *Silver maple also has a rather shallow root system,
heavy wind will blow it down. *

Not necessarily true. I had one 10' from my house and it withstood
100mph hurricane winds without blowing down. Did lose a lot of small
to medium limbs however. Mine and all others around the neighborhood
developed a blight and died. I would never plant another one in the
yard.

KC