Old 30-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Registered User

Lightbulb Evergreen Climber for wall

I have a wall in my garden which is about 6ft tall by 8ft wide, can someone please suggest an evergreen climber that will grow quite quickly and cover the wall, I would also like it to flower in the Spring / Summer and have some degree of red coloured foliage in the Autumn / Winter.

Many thanks !!!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Evergreen Climber for wall

On 9/30/2008 9:28 AM, Nick Banks wrote:
I have a wall in my garden which is about 6ft tall by 8ft wide, can
someone please suggest an evergreen climber that will grow quite
quickly and cover the wall, I would also like it to flower in the
Spring / Summer and have some degree of red coloured foliage in the
Autumn / Winter.

Many thanks !!!

Where are you? That is, what is your climate? I can make several
suggestions, but they would be suitable only in my mild-winter climate.

Which way does the wall face? That is, what is its exposure? Some
vines require full-day sun. Others do quite well in the shade. Still
others require part-sun and part-shade.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 01-10-2008, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/1/2008 12:44 PM, Nick Banks wrote:
David E. Ross;817746 Wrote:
On 9/30/2008 9:28 AM, Nick Banks wrote:-
I have a wall in my garden which is about 6ft tall by 8ft wide, can
someone please suggest an evergreen climber that will grow quite
quickly and cover the wall, I would also like it to flower in the
Spring / Summer and have some degree of red coloured foliage in the
Autumn / Winter.

Many thanks !!!-

Where are you? That is, what is your climate? I can make several
suggestions, but they would be suitable only in my mild-winter
climate.

Which way does the wall face? That is, what is its exposure? Some
vines require full-day sun. Others do quite well in the shade. Still
others require part-sun and part-shade.

I'm in London, England so not sure if our Winter's would be mild enough
??
The wall gets quite a bit of sun in the day and is well sheltered.

You might try star jasmine, which is a evergreen vine.

Trachelospermum jasminoides is hardy to about 15F (-10C). It has small,
very fragrant, white flowers; you can smell the delightful perfume
several feet away. In the winter, the foliage might turn red. In the
spring, the red foliage will either turn green again or fall off as new
foliage sprouts.

This grows quite quickly, covering a trellis in a year. Unlike ivy,
however, it does not cling to a surface. Instead, it must be tied. In
my garden, it readily climbs a trellis covered with wire poultry mesh.

T. asiaticum is hardy to about 10F (-15C). Its flowers are pale yellow
or creamy white. Other than reading about it, I'm not otherwise
familiar with this species. My garden book says it is very similar to
T. jasminoides except the flowers are smaller and not pure white.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Ross View Post

Old 01-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Banks View Post
I'm in London, England so not sure if our Winter's would be mild enough ??
The wall gets quite a bit of sun in the day and is well sheltered.

Evergreens generally do not change colour in autumn and most do not have striking flowers. You could try Euonymus fortunei, which is variegated. There are variegated ivies which take on a purply colour in winter, but of course all ivies can be aggressive.

I would be inclined to go for a euonymus combined with a clematis or abandon the evergreen requirement altogether.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

When you get your species you want these suggestions may be helpful.

Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html
I would plant them at depth the roots (woody) come off the trunk.

Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

May be interested in targets.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
and
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
Watch out for so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology.
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, tornado's, volcanic eruptions and other
abiotic forces keep reminding humans that they are not the boss.

"Nick Banks" wrote in message

I have a wall in my garden which is about 6ft tall by 8ft wide, can
someone please suggest an evergreen climber that will grow quite
quickly and cover the wall, I would also like it to flower in the
Spring / Summer and have some degree of red coloured foliage in the
Autumn / Winter.

Many thanks !!!

--
Nick Banks

[IMG] code is On

evergreen climber Paul United Kingdom 28 24-02-2004 11:47 PM
evergreen climber Paul United Kingdom 0 23-02-2004 09:33 AM
Vigorous evergreen climber - any ideas? Richard Kerry United Kingdom 28 08-02-2004 08:26 PM
Fast Growing Evergreen Climber??? Any suggestions AndreaL United Kingdom 9 15-10-2003 12:02 PM
Evergreen climber to cover a west facing wall in zone 9 Pete Gardening 6 25-09-2003 05:42 AM