Old 05-10-2008, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default End of season sticky pots

Actually just one - a white Siberian iris. But I might hit a few places
for end of season bargains.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

Actually just one - a white Siberian iris. But I might
hit a few places for end of season bargains.

let me know if you find anything good.
oh! i have a bumper crop of American chestnuts this year (&
hickories & walnuts &...) so if you want to try sprouting a
few chestnuts, let me know.

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 05-10-2008, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 12:00:13 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

Actually just one - a white Siberian iris. But I might
hit a few places for end of season bargains.

let me know if you find anything good.
oh! i have a bumper crop of American chestnuts this year (&
hickories & walnuts &...) so if you want to try sprouting a
few chestnuts, let me know.

lee

Recently, I found a chestnut in the local Arboretum and would like to
try growing it. Should I put it in the refrigerator? Start in a
potting mix or directly in the ground? Zone 7, e. TN.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Phisherman wrote in
:

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 12:00:13 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

Actually just one - a white Siberian iris. But I might
hit a few places for end of season bargains.

let me know if you find anything good.
oh! i have a bumper crop of American chestnuts this year (&
hickories & walnuts &...) so if you want to try sprouting a
few chestnuts, let me know.

lee

Recently, I found a chestnut in the local Arboretum and
would like to try growing it. Should I put it in the
refrigerator? Start in a potting mix or directly in the
ground? Zone 7, e. TN.

they need to chill. how much room do you have in your
refrigerator? i put some in peat pots with potting soil, stick
a 9 x9 " flat of those into the fridge for about 4-6 weeks,
then bring them out. we have a fridge in the garage for
lagering beer, & i use that for chilling if there's room. if
not, i use the unheated woodroom.
if you don't have a squirrel problem (or mice or chipmunks),
you can try planting directly outside now. it should sprout in
the spring.

lee
Old 06-10-2008, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 4, 5:15 pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Actually just one - a white Siberian iris. But I might hit a few places
for end of season bargains.

Good for you Cheryl! Hooray for sticky pots!
I removed a shrubby honeysuckle because it took up a large space and
bloomed a
very short time with few flowers. I got 3 echinacea, a gaillardia
Oranges and Lemons,
and a penstemon to take its place. It's a rather dry spot in full sun,
so they should
be happy and bloom a lot!

I'm also taking out a big clump of purple iris and will put in a blue
plumbago and a
rose Sally Holmes to replace them along a fence. Ya gotta bloom more
than 2 weeks
to stay around here now...........(friend is removing Sally and I got
her)

We had our first rain since June and it washed all the old ash from
the fires, and the
dust from the almond harvest from the tall plants, and they look so
happy. 1 inch of raind
and it sure cleaned up the air, too.

Emilie
NorCal

Old 06-10-2008, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 4, 5:15 pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Actually just one - a white Siberian iris. But I might hit a few places
for end of season bargains.

OH, we're having a Fall plant sale at the Garden Club meeting Oct 20
Want to come?
Lots of good stuff that a nursery donates to us.
Emilie
NorCal
Old 06-10-2008, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 6, 3:14 am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 10/5/08 10:01 PM, in article
,

"mleblanca" wrote:
On Oct 4, 5:15 pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Actually just one - a white Siberian iris. But I might hit a few places
for end of season bargains.

OH, we're having a Fall plant sale at the Garden Club meeting Oct 20
Want to come?
Lots of good stuff that a nursery donates to us.
Emilie
NorCal

Wish I could. It's hockey season and I'm on the go continuously

If you mean Sedum as in 'Autumn Joy' it blooms early here and is
pretty
much dried up now. It also fades to a cruddy whitish in the full sun.
Not
a great plant here, (I have many of the little ground cover types
tho )

the only hockey around here is the Field type!
mle
(Emilie)