Old 04-02-2009, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bees

The ice has melted and the quarter million folks down the road almost
have all the power back on. The sun is out and temps should go up to
50's and 60's in a day or so. So, I am planning to get some clean-up
and prep work started.

What can I do to help out in bringing back some bees? As I am inside
a national forest, there is no widespread spraying here'bouts, and my
neighbors and I don't use harsh stuff except as a last resort in very
small areas. I don't want to KEEP bees, anymore than I keep bats,
even though I have mounted bat houses here and there.
I just want do do what might help.

Things I have considered is:
1. After I have burned and disked some meadows, putting in some
clover, along with the other native grasses.
2. Leaning toward bee-friendly flowers when selecting annuals this
year.

Any other ideas?

cheers

oz, feverish from the cabin
Old 05-02-2009, 07:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

MajorOz wrote:
[...]

Yes, read the book "Fruitless Fall" by Rowan Jacobsen. It covers all
the problems of the collapse of the honey bee. I couldn't put it
down.

Sherwin
Old 05-02-2009, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 5, 1:00*am, sherwin dubren wrote:
MajorOz wrote:
[...]

Thank you.

Does it offer the kinds of solutions that I, as a small landowner, can
do?

cheers

oz
Old 07-02-2009, 06:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

MajorOz wrote:
Yes, read the book "Fruitless Fall" by Rowan Jacobsen. It covers all
the problems of the collapse of the honey bee. I couldn't put it
down.

Sherwin

Thank you.

Does it offer the kinds of solutions that I, as a small landowner, can
do?

cheers

oz

It is not a cure all type book, but should give you some insight into
the possible dangers of hive collapse and possible work arounds. In any
case, it is well written and informative.

Sherwin
Old 07-02-2009, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 4, 1:53*pm, MajorOz wrote:
[...]

Burning the meadows will likely decrease the numbers and types of bees
on your land as a diversity of plants ( weeds to some) that flower at
different times will promote the greatest numbers of bees. Leaving
some wild patches will protect your pollinators.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 05:47:53 -0800 (PST), beecrofter
wrote:

On Feb 4, 1:53*pm, MajorOz wrote:
[...]

I planted borage, the "bee plant" last year. Not sure how much it
made a difference, but it did draw bees into my yard. I had a bumper
blueberry crop last summer.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

I planted borage, the "bee plant" last year. Not sure how much it
made a difference, but it did draw bees into my yard. I had a bumper
blueberry crop last summer.

I grew borage once the idea was to candy the flowers. Do not remember
much so it was a failed endeavor. Maybe not for you?

http://earthnotes.tripod.com/borage.htm

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 09-02-2009, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 7, 7:47*am, beecrofter wrote:
On Feb 4, 1:53*pm, MajorOz wrote:

[...]

Thank you. That is the idea. My meadows were once a variety of
native grasses and wildflowers. My intent is to get rid of the
invasive fescue (a boon to the cattle producers, but death-on-wheels
to many critters -- principally quail) that has invaded.
These are small meadows in almost virgin hardwood forest inside a NF,
with brush piles and occasional red cedar and nearby year-round
water. Everything for the critters except decent ground cover.
My major intent is quail restoration and general wildlife habitat
improvement, but I have recently thought that there might be something
I could do ALONG WITH IT to help out the bee problem.

cheers

oz, watching the rain fill the pond
Old 10-02-2009, 11:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

In message
,
MajorOz writes
On Feb 4, 1:53*pm, MajorOz wrote:

[...]

Very interesting .... please keep us posted. I am going through a
similar process with a small wildflower meadow and bees in Dorset/UK.
Here I needed to impoverish the soil by various means to enable the
wildflower seed to set and thrive. Also needed to sow some parasitic
Yellow Rattle to reduce the strong growing lush grass - previously field
was used for cattle grazing. Now into third year and we have been
delighted at the progress. The meadow is now beginning to look as old,
unmanaged meadows looked a couple of hundred years ago - and the bees
and butterflies love it.

So keep at it and let us know how things progress.

Good Luck!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 10-02-2009, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 10, 5:52*am, Gopher wrote:
In message
,
MajorOz writes

On Feb 4, 1:53*pm, MajorOz wrote:

[...]

Wonderful. I hope I am as successful.

So keep at it and let us know how things progress.

I will

Good Luck!

Thank you

cheers

oz, listening closely for peepers in the pond

Old 10-02-2009, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

impoverish the soil by various means

Never heard of this can anyone explain?

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 10-02-2009, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message , Bill
writes

impoverish the soil by various means

Never heard of this can anyone explain?

Bill

Apologies (that means I'm sorry). I forgot literacy levels vary by
State. I'm sure some good hearted soul will not treat the response as
cynical amusement and interpret it in English, which is, after all, the
language of your State too.

I will now retire smartly anticipating the inevitable backlash:-))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Gopher wrote:

In message , Bill
writes

impoverish the soil by various means

Never heard of this can anyone explain?

Bill

Apologies (that means I'm sorry). I forgot literacy levels vary by
State. I'm sure some good hearted soul will not treat the response as
cynical amusement and interpret it in English, which is, after all, the
language of your State too.

I will now retire smartly anticipating the inevitable backlash:-))

No backlash here. Just this idea is something alien as my life is
devoted to improving the soil for future folks. I can impoverish by just
taking out and not returning which is very easy.

Surely a concept that has many meanings.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 11-02-2009, 06:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill wrote:

In article ,
Gopher wrote:

In message , Bill
writes

impoverish the soil by various means

Never heard of this can anyone explain?

Bill

Apologies (that means I'm sorry). I forgot literacy levels vary by
State. I'm sure some good hearted soul will not treat the response as
cynical amusement and interpret it in English, which is, after all, the
language of your State too.

I will now retire smartly anticipating the inevitable backlash:-))

No backlash here. Just this idea is something alien as my life is
devoted to improving the soil for future folks. I can impoverish by just
taking out and not returning which is very easy.

Surely a concept that has many meanings.

Bill

Don't go on being rational, Bill, he has obviously lost any grasp that
he had on reality and has just disappeared. Simple question, drama queen
answer.
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars
Old 11-02-2009, 09:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

In message
,
Billy writes
In article ,
Bill wrote:

In article ,
Gopher wrote:

In message , Bill
writes

impoverish the soil by various means

Never heard of this can anyone explain?

Bill

Apologies (that means I'm sorry). I forgot literacy levels vary by
State. I'm sure some good hearted soul will not treat the response as
cynical amusement and interpret it in English, which is, after all, the
language of your State too.

I will now retire smartly anticipating the inevitable backlash:-))

No backlash here. Just this idea is something alien as my life is
devoted to improving the soil for future folks. I can impoverish by just
taking out and not returning which is very easy.

Surely a concept that has many meanings.

Bill

Don't go on being rational, Bill, he has obviously lost any grasp that
he had on reality and has just disappeared. Simple question, drama queen
answer.

Sorry Bill you're absolutely right. Having lurked around the group for
a time I confused Bill with Diehard Billy. I should have known better
and been more careful.

In fact, if anyone wishes to grow original indigenous wildflowers it is
necessary to reduce the fertility of the soil to the lower levels which
were in place before the fertilisation by man necessary to grow crops
and produce. Then competing growth of grass etc. is not so strong and
allows the wild flowers to grow rather than be choked. Usually only
small areas - rather like gardens/yards - are set aside for this purpose
largely to encourage wildlife including bees which benefit greatly from
the change.

OK Billy Boy? Now holster your pistols before you hurt someone:-))

--
Gopher .... I know my place!