Old 07-04-2009, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How easy is it to plant a tree?

Quite often Im asked a variation on the same question. Sometimes the
question is asked by visitors to my nursery; other times I find the
question in my e-mail from a reader of this column. And sometimes the
question remains unasked by someone who doesnt want to appear dumb.

This is the question:

How easy is it to plant a tree?

That is most certainly not a dumb question. But often its only half a
question. Why? Because when most people ask the question, they really
want to know how easy it is to plant trees successfully so that they
thrive and grow to maturity.

Another point to remember is that some trees are easier to grow than
others, regardless of your level of expertise. Ill have some
suggestions for you in this column. But first, lets think about the
absolute basics of introducing the tree into your landscape.

Different varieties of trees have different needs, but a non-profit
web site operated by American Forests has some excellent general tree-
planting tips, including the following:

Select a site with enough room for roots and branches to reach full
size. Avoid overhead and
underground utilities.

Prepare a planting area as deep as the root ball and three to five
times its diameter by loosening the soil.

Dig a hole in the middle of the area and set the root ball even with
the ground level.

Use water to settle soil and remove air pockets in planting area.

Stake the tree to flex with the wind only if tree is unable to stand
up to wind.

Spread a two to three inch layer of mulch on entire area, but not
within six inches of tree trunk.
You can find the entire article, along with some helpful diagrams
he http://www.americanforests.org/resou...wtoplanttrees/ and
there is a direct link from this column at my web site. Go to
www.landsteward.org then find this column under The Plant Man heading.

There are ways you can put the odds in your favor when it comes to
planting trees that are more likely to thrive and grow successfully.
Heres a word I want you to remember: Transplants.

Transplants are hardier, huskier, and more allaround balanced plants
than seedlings. When planted in your landscape, the transplant has a
greater chance of survival since it has already survived the shock of
being transplanted once at the nursery.

With spring in the air, lets think about some beautiful flowering
trees that work very well (and are much easier to grow) as
transplants.

White Flowering Cherry (Prunus yedoensis). This is also known as
Yoshino Cherry and is a rapidly growing tree that is
extraordinarily beautiful in Spring when it is covered with white
blossoms that resemble cotton candy. These trees can eventually reach
40 ft. and make excellent street trees.

Kwanzan Cherry. Id say this is the showiest of all Japanese trees. I
love the awesome bundles of large pink blossoms that last longer than
those of other flowering cherries.

Cleveland Select Flowering Pear. If you like to see a lot of blooms,
the Cleveland Select seems to have more than other varieties of
flowering pear. This variety is hardy, deciduous, disease-resistant
and grows more upright than the Bradford to around 30 - 40 ft high.

Forest Pansy Redbud. Something a little out of the ordinary, but well
worth planting if you can find it! It is a beautiful ornamental tree
that perfect for the small garden as well as more ambitious
landscaping projects. Unlike the native Redbud (cercis Canadensis),
the Forest Pansy has blooms of a deep maroon color.

Dogwood Kousa (Cornus kousa). Also known as a Japanese flowering
dogwood, the Kousa is not as susceptible to disease as the white
dogwood, and that’s a major benefit. Great as a specimen, in groupings
or near a patio, it blooms later, around June with a softer petal
flower.

So, if youre looking for an easier and more foolproof way of planting
healthy successful trees without a lot of worry or risk, remember to
look for transplants!

Let me know if I can help you with your specific tree planting
challenges. Note that some of the information here appeared in an
earlier Plant Man column published in April 2003 and included here by
reader request.

The Plant Man is here to help. Send your questions about trees, shrubs
and landscaping to and for resources and
additional information, including archived columns, visit
www.landsteward.org
Old 07-04-2009, 10:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Nobody asked, Earl. Shouldn't you be out selling plants? Oh, I see.
No, I don't need any plants right now, Earl, really. No, I don't know
anybody that needs plants, Earl. No, I don't know anybody that might
need plants soon, no. None of your business, Earl, how much money I have
in my wallet. I don't need any plants. Nooooooooo.

In article
,

--

- Billy

Old 08-04-2009, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day earl,

good info' could i add:

Dig a hole in the middle of the area and set the root ball even with
the ground level.

for trees that need good drainage they may need to be planted in a
raised position created by haveing up to 1/2 the root ball above the
surrounding area, this creates like a mound and improves the drainage
for the tree.

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 12:01:13 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 08-04-2009, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
len gardener wrote:

g'day earl,

good info' could i add:

wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

When the tree is a transplant of mine I mark south and try to have it
oriented the same way. No real justification just a hunch.
Got me thinking about the 10 $ tree and the 50$ hole vs the 50 $ tree
and the 10 $ hole. I currently favor the latter.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Not all who wander are lost.

Some Hopi gardener said, "This is not about growing vegetables; it
is about growing kids."

Old 08-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_7_] View Post
You're a ******. Look it up.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrochnick View Post
You're a ******. Look it up.
Pity. I wonder if tosser works... probably not.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Hrochnick wrote:

'Billy[_7_ Wrote:
;837559']Nobody asked, Earl. Shouldn't you be out selling plants? Oh, I
see.
No, I don't need any plants right now, Earl, really. No, I don't know
anybody that needs plants, Earl. No, I don't know anybody that might
need plants soon, no. None of your business, Earl, how much money I
have
in my wallet. I don't need any plants. Nooooooooo.

You're a ******. Look it up.

Aint't you that blank Czech, lookin' for a potted plant for your patio?
I was thinkin' about suggesting a Physalis alkekengi to you but now
you've gone all ****y on me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physalis_alkekengi
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....alis+alkekengi
What's the matter with you? You like door to door salesmen or what?
We are just gardeners. We ain't tryin' to sell shit to no one.
**** you and your corner patio.
--

- Billy

Old 09-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Aint't you that blank Czech, lookin' for a potted plant for your patio?
I was thinkin' about suggesting a Physalis alkekengi to you but now
you've gone all ****y on me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physalis_alkekengi
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....alis+alkekengi
What's the matter with you? You like door to door salesmen or what?
We are just gardeners. We ain't tryin' to sell shit to no one.
**** you and your corner patio.
- Billy
Blank Czech, clever, I see what you did there Billy and I like it. However, and you'll like this, I'm actually British - I just happen to live in the Czech Republic.

No, I'm not particularly keen on door to door salesmen but you don't have to open the door to them. In the same way that you didn't have to open or read Earl's post. Besides (and regardless of alteria motives) Earl didn't once mention wanting to sell anything, it was all about advice and don't you think there maybe a newbie or two out there (myself included) who really don't know the best way to plant a tree and might have found it an interesting read?. And don't forget, every know and then gardeners do actually need to buy stuff...

Do you think your sarcastic, agressive, I'm holier than thou response was really needed? I've read a few of your other posts and the same theme runs throughout, you just can't help yourself being rude and sniping all over the place. It's really trying and just makes you look like a bitter and twisted old man.

Anyway, I'll apologise for being rude, I just read your post late at night and it made me angry. But I shouldn't have been insulting so for that I apologise.

Thanks for the links, looks nice but the fact that "All parts of the plant, except the ripe fruit, are poisonous" make it a no no for me. I'll keep searching.

So cheers, and chill out...
Old 09-04-2009, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hrochnick wrote in
:

Thanks for the links, looks nice but the fact that "All parts of
the plant, except the ripe fruit, are poisonous" make it a no no
for me. I'll keep searching.

you know, that also describes tomatoes...
how old are your kids? by age 3 you should have them trained not to
put any plant matter in their mouth without your express permission
first.
i grew castor bean plants when i was 8 & my baby brother was 2. he
knew not to eat the seeds (and if you don't want seeds, just pick off
the flowers anyway). many common garden plants are poisonous in some
manner, so teaching kids/pets not to nibble is a priority.
just sayin'...
lee
Old 09-04-2009, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://tinyurl.com/5pydn5
http://tinyurl.com/3sz3kh
What's the matter with you? You like door to door salesmen or what?
We are just gardeners. We ain't tryin' to sell shit to no one.
**** you and your corner patio.
- Billy

Blank Czech, clever, I see what you did there Billy and I like it.
However, and you'll like this, I'm actually British - I just happen to
live in the Czech Republic.

And the Czech Republic gives a great sigh of relief.

No, I'm not particularly keen on door to door salesmen but you don't
have to open the door to them. In the same way that you didn't have to
open or read Earl's post.

He posted in a non-commercial newgroup!
Besides (and regardless of alteria motives)
Earl didn't once mention wanting to sell anything,

For the love of Pete, he lists his web site. How dense are you or are
you only pretending to be a disinterested third party?
it was all about
advice and don't you think there maybe a newbie or two out there
(myself included) who really don't know the best way to plant a tree
and might have found it an interesting read?

Then don't you think that this "newbi" might learn to ask? There must be
a half zillion gardening sites out there. Why come to this one,
expecting to be spoon fed?

And don't forget, every
know and then gardeners do actually need to buy stuff...

And the best place is to do that from your local nursery or hardware
store because they know the local climate and soil, and money spent in
your community, supports your community.

Do you think your sarcastic, agressive, I'm holier than thou response
was really needed?

It must appear like that to a REEEALY ignorant or stupid person. Why
doesn't that REEEALY ignorant or stupid person ask themselves, hmm, I
wonder what I did to set him off?

I see that you've conveniently clipped of the abusive part of your post,
that set me off. So now you are complaining about me being ****y with
you for you being ****y with me, over something that didn't even concern
you. WTF? Did you run out of Pakis to abuse?
I've read a few of your other posts and the same
theme runs throughout, you just can't help yourself being rude and
sniping all over the place. It's really trying and just makes you look
like a bitter and twisted old man.

Dealing with dumb nit-shits like you is kinda like standing too long in
front of an x-ray machine. I'm really quite a cheerful person when I
don't have to deal with too many pre-cambrian personalities, such as
yourself.

Anyway, I'll apologise for being rude, I just read your post late at
night and it made me angry. But I shouldn't have been insulting so for
that I apologise.

Buy me a pint and we'll call it even;O)

Thanks for the links, looks nice but the fact that "All parts of the
plant, except the ripe fruit, are poisonous" make it a no no for me.
I'll keep searching.

I've had them for thirty years and raised two daughters in their
presence. They flower most of the year, always have leaves, and come in
a multitude of colors.

So cheers, and chill out...

Here's mud in your eye, and try to exercise that dormant organ between
your ears more often.
--

- Billy

Old 10-04-2009, 02:55 AM
Registered User

My kids are 2 and a half and 10 months. Yes, the 2 year old knows better, but it's a different story for the young 'un. And I'm not prepared to take that risk just yet, not for a plant that will sit within such easy reach at any case.

Billy, I thought my apology would put an end to it but it seems not for your sorry arse. I'll respond properly to you tomorrow, I cant let your further insults lie. Shame on me as that may be but I've rarely met such a **** as you and if you want to trade insults, I'm your man. I'll come down and live at your level for as long as you want.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Registered User

Quote:
dense REEEALY ignorant stupid dumb nit-shit pre-cambrian personality
That's a pretty good insult when you put it all together like that taking out the rest of your babbling crap.

Quote:
Here's mud in your eye, and try to exercise that dormant organ between your ears more often.
And that was AFTER I offered my apology, nice, really nice. You must be a wonderful person to meet. Has it been a tough life?

Quote:
Did you run out of Pakis to abuse?
Wow. Did you really say that? That's pretty fooking racist there billy, letting all your demons out of the closet now are you? Any more in there you want to let out? You might want to be a bit more careful in future, a lot of people don't take kindly to that kind of talk, you could find yourself in a lot of trouble. You have no idea what my ethnicity is either so you're making dangerous assumptions.

I've read a few other posts now and basically Billy, no-one likes you. Pretty much nobody at all. I'm amazed there's no control around here, you should have been kicked long ago. Yep, I should probably be kicked too for my comments, I can see that but I'm jumping anyway - this is a horrible place to be with people like you around.

Do yourself a favour, dig a hole, lie in it and don't get out. You'll be helping the planet in so many ways.

Go on, hit me with one of your oh so wity and sarcastic step by step replies. Go on, you know you want to. I might even pop back to read it and have a laugh if I can be bothered. So many more important things to do than mess with ******* like you though, you've already wasted far too much of my time.

Now, where's the unsubscribe button? Hmm...
Old 11-04-2009, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

" wrote in message
[...]

--------------
The only thing I wish to add is not to "spoil" the new sapling. Let it
accomodate to the location and temp/weather, soil and competition
environment. In the long run (a tree is a long-term thing), the tree willl
benefit by your non-interference.

Consider using a genuine news server vice an HTTP pseudo-news server to the
poster. Such approaches spam.
--
Dave
If you don't like the weather in Central Texas, just give it a minute...

Old 11-04-2009, 03:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

" wrote in message
[...]

The preceding spam was presented to you by Dave.

Tune in next time for answers to more questions that you haven't ask.
Maybe it will be, Q: "How do I prune a kudzu?" A: "To the ground".

If you care to have a response from a live human being, rather than
answers posed by a commercial monthly news letter, just post your
question here. As to the number of personalities here, your answer may
require more than one respondent.

The alternative would be to Google your question,"How to (fill in the
blank)". The response may require you to look at more than one site.

Shopping for a question? Maybe drop in on
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/index.html
They have a forum with all sorts of questions.

Good gardening ;O)
--

- Billy

Old 12-04-2009, 10:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

" wrote in message
[...]