Old 04-05-2009, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default snow peas

I've planted a row of snow peas along the back edge of my garden, a
little midday shade there.

Now, I have little gardening experience and none with any peas. It's
rained hard and most of my 5" to 6" tall plants (I think the cultivar
grows 3' or so) are now in the dirt, so I think it's time to learn how
to train them.

As I see it, I have a few options. I have some welded wire fence
(holes about 2" * 4") and some similar plastic fencing. Is this
reasonable for the snow peas to grow along? I have a friend growing hers
along string at a 45 degree angle, but since she killed all hers last
year, I'm hesitant to follow her example.

I'm think of anchoring the bottom of the fence near the plants and
curving/arcing the fence outward. Is this a dumb thing to do?

I've got arugula, cukes, carrots, a couple cantalopes and honeydews,
a couple tomatoes, a zuchini and a yellow pepper. And 3 mixed
blueberries (in 100% pete moss) and a dwarf peach. I'll do my best, but
I really don't expect to be successful with everything. That's sort of a
heads up on possible questions to come and there's a little garden
space left I'm clueless what to do with...

Jeff
Old 10-05-2009, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jeff wrote:
I've planted a row of snow peas along the back edge of my garden, a
little midday shade there.

Now, I have little gardening experience and none with any peas. It's
rained hard and most of my 5" to 6" tall plants (I think the cultivar
grows 3' or so) are now in the dirt, so I think it's time to learn how
to train them.

As I see it, I have a few options. I have some welded wire fence
(holes about 2" * 4") and some similar plastic fencing. Is this
reasonable for the snow peas to grow along? I have a friend growing
hers along string at a 45 degree angle, but since she killed all hers
last year, I'm hesitant to follow her example.

I'm think of anchoring the bottom of the fence near the plants and
curving/arcing the fence outward. Is this a dumb thing to do?

Get a couple pound-in fence posts to attach the welded wire or plastic to. It
won't be stiff enough to stay up by itself.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bob F" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't use any metal for peas, gets too hot in the sun and damages the
vines, cooks em... I grow snow peas and sugar peas every year; pop a few
bamboo poles in the ground and tie a buncha strings across.

[IMG] code is On

snow snow snow! Janet Tweedy[_2_] United Kingdom 11 18-01-2013 09:37 PM
is it safe to plant sweet peas in the same yard as garden peas General Schvantzkoph Edible Gardening 3 06-04-2010 11:32 PM
Snow Peas Wanda Australia 5 09-11-2003 02:22 PM
snow peas zxcvbob Edible Gardening 11 17-07-2003 05:55 AM
should I bring in the sweet peas before the snow? NAearthMOM Gardening 1 30-03-2003 04:08 PM