Old 04-11-2003, 10:12 AM
Wanda

Default Snow Peas

My snow peas are looking unwell, they are pale in colour, some of the leaves
are chewed right off, others have a white powdery mould or spider web on
them. They're in a position where they receive direct morning light &
indirect light for most of the day, they receive a good soaking every 2-3
days & have recently had a dose of wettasoil & seasol.

Help?

Old 04-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Loosecannon

Hi Wanda,

I think you may have planted your seeds to late or that their time was up
anyway. They only seem to last around 90 days and I try to plant mine on a
really cold day in winter. I wouldn't think any treatment is going to save
them now as once they have the powdery mildew it spreads and kills the
plants.

Peas like cucumbers and tomatos hate overhead watering. Also we had a good
wet winter.

I also used to pick my spoils from the garden in the morning but no longer
do this as the leaves can be wet and transferring the nasties is done rather
easily. I now pick them later in the day when all the leaves are dry.

Now a question for you, were you happy with the number of snow peas that
grew on each plant? My uncle has grown both snow peas and sugar snap peas
and says that you will get 10 sugar snaps to every one off a snow pea. Also
sugar snaps taste can not be surpassed. That is my own experience and no
year will go by here without some being planted.

Leaving you pondering!

Richard

Old 04-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Wanda

"Loosecannon" wrote in message
u...
Hi Wanda,

I think you may have planted your seeds to late or that their time was up
anyway.

Hmm... I think I planted them about a month ago.

I wouldn't think any treatment is going to save
them now as once they have the powdery mildew it spreads and kills the
plants.

So the best thing is to rip them out? Can I put them in the compost?

Peas like cucumbers and tomatos hate overhead watering.

They're underneath the pergola in a spot that gets good direct morning-mid
day sun. The watering is via retic, the heads of which are perhaps 50mm from
the soil.

I also used to pick my spoils from the garden in the morning but no longer
do this as the leaves can be wet and transferring the nasties is done

rather
easily. I now pick them later in the day when all the leaves are dry.

I've been doing that also, waiting until I want them for dinner & picking
them just before.

Now a question for you, were you happy with the number of snow peas that
grew on each plant?

Not really. I wouldn't really need many more than I had from the plants, but
a handful or two to give to others would have been nice.

I do have a packet of sugar snap seeds. Is it too late to plant them?

Thanks for your response.

Old 04-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Loosecannon

"Wanda" wrote in message

"Loosecannon" wrote in message
u...
Hi Wanda,

I think you may have planted your seeds to late or that their time was

up
anyway.

Hmm... I think I planted them about a month ago.

April is a good time! A month ago was probably way past the best time.

I wouldn't think any treatment is going to save
them now as once they have the powdery mildew it spreads and kills the
plants.

So the best thing is to rip them out? Can I put them in the compost?

I think they are a lost cause.

Will be the same as the peas straw you buy. May not be good to use it around
plants susceptible to powdery mildew though. Compost heat should kill the
nasties

Peas like cucumbers and tomatos hate overhead watering.

They're underneath the pergola in a spot that gets good direct morning-mid
day sun. The watering is via retic, the heads of which are perhaps 50mm

from
the soil.

I doubt this is your problem.

I also used to pick my spoils from the garden in the morning but no

longer
do this as the leaves can be wet and transferring the nasties is done

rather
easily. I now pick them later in the day when all the leaves are dry.

I've been doing that also, waiting until I want them for dinner & picking
them just before.

Now a question for you, were you happy with the number of snow peas that
grew on each plant?

Not really. I wouldn't really need many more than I had from the plants,

but
a handful or two to give to others would have been nice.

I do have a packet of sugar snap seeds. Is it too late to plant them?

Now is the time for beans! My Westralia runner beans are now a foot high!
Can't wait for the first feed.

Thanks for your response.

My pleasure.

Old 05-11-2003, 11:32 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Wanda" wrote:

My snow peas are looking unwell, they are pale in colour, some of the leaves
are chewed right off, others have a white powdery mould or spider web on
them.

End of season. Peas are a cool-weather plant and should be planted in Autumn.
It's now time to put in beans, tomatoes, corn, and other warm-weather plants.
For a planting guide, try the one in the Global Garden Newsletter, at
http://www.global-garden.com.au/

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc

Old 09-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Wanda

Now is the time for beans! My Westralia runner beans are now a foot high!
Can't wait for the first feed.

Planted Sugar Bon (Pisum sativum sativum) variety of Sugar Snap beans today.
Here's hoping I get a bumper crop! Will attack the soil with blood n bone,
wettasoil & dynamic lifter next week.

Thanks for your advice.

snow snow snow! Janet Tweedy[_2_] United Kingdom 11 18-01-2013 09:37 PM
is it safe to plant sweet peas in the same yard as garden peas General Schvantzkoph Edible Gardening 3 06-04-2010 11:32 PM
snow peas zxcvbob Edible Gardening 11 17-07-2003 05:55 AM
Snow Peas Planting Question ??? Joanne Edible Gardening 3 29-06-2003 07:32 AM
should I bring in the sweet peas before the snow? NAearthMOM Gardening 1 30-03-2003 04:08 PM