Old 11-05-2005, 09:01 AM

Default any asparagus experts out there?

Hi - I purchased an asparagus crowns in the middle of April and planted
it out. The garden nursery said it was a two year old asparagus and
should crop this year, albeit lightly. I know its only been one month,
but it looks a bit spindly to me.

I've put some pics online he
http://www.thesullies.com/garden/asparagus.htm. Could any expert take
a look at tell me if the nursery was being optimistic with its
predictions of a crop.

Also, I just took the plant from its container and plonked it in the
ground with a bit of compost. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to
separate the spears - for the sake of not stressing the roots, I opted
not to. I'm now thinking that one plant (or crown?) will only feed me
one meal next year, which is a poor return - so perhaps I better go and
get a few more crowns. Or can I expect new spears to emerge from the
ground next year, and if so should I allow them to grow or nip them off
?

Many thanks in advance...

Rgds,
Kevin.

PS - I am in Hove, East Sussex.
PPS - I am a novice gardiner - which may be clear by now. But this
usenet group is great!

Old 11-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

[...]

You obviously don't watch /Gardener's World/. They did a piece about
sparrows' grass last Friday. As far as I can remember (I was dozy after my
fish and chip supper) they don't start producing a large crop until the
second or even third year.

The other problem is that you're a novice and growing sparrows' grass isn't
really something you should be attempting as your first veggie growing
project.

Also check your soil type - where do you live? They also like to be in the
full sun and, to the best of my knowledge, aren't that hardy, so would need
to be kept under cloches at this time of year as we are still experiencing
some nights of frost. Having said that, according to the link below, they
will grow in almost any soil (it doesn't make specific mention of sand, but
it does say acidic, so I took that to mean sandy).

Basics can be found on the /Gardener's World/ site
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ges/7092.shtml,
but I'm sure someone else will come along who has a bit more knowledge than
I do.

As an aside, could someone please tell me why it's colloquially known as
'sparrows' grass' - is it to do with the sound of the word - or something
else?

Sarah

The comments expressed above are written by someone who doesn't really know
what she's talking about and have been gleaned from various sources, not
least /Gardener's World/. Please check with a reputable expert before
implementing any suggestions or advice.

Old 11-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

The other problem is that you're a novice and growing sparrows' grass isn't
really something you should be attempting as your first veggie growing
project.

It depends on your soil. Given the right one, it is a weed.

Also check your soil type - where do you live? They also like to be in the
full sun and, to the best of my knowledge, aren't that hardy, so would need
to be kept under cloches at this time of year as we are still experiencing
some nights of frost. Having said that, according to the link below, they
will grow in almost any soil (it doesn't make specific mention of sand, but
it does say acidic, so I took that to mean sandy).

They are fully hardy, and they definitely don't need acid, but need
deep soil and excellent drainage. In sand, they will establish
themselves as a self-sowing weed. I don't grow asparagus - I hunt it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:02 PM
D Russell

Hi - I purchased an asparagus crowns in the middle of April and planted
it out. The garden nursery said it was a two year old asparagus and
should crop this year, albeit lightly. I know its only been one month,
but it looks a bit spindly to me.

I think that's being very optimistic. If you eat this year's then
you'll not allow the asparagus to develop a lot.

We were told:-
First year take none, allow the plants to develop and establish
themselves.
Second year, take some.
Third year, should be in 'full production'.

Also, I just took the plant from its container and plonked it in the
ground with a bit of compost. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to
separate the spears - for the sake of not stressing the roots, I opted
not to. I'm now thinking that one plant (or crown?) will only feed me
one meal next year, which is a poor return - so perhaps I better go and
get a few more crowns. Or can I expect new spears to emerge from the
ground next year, and if so should I allow them to grow or nip them off

We got ten crowns, I think. About seven seem to have survived long
term, it gives us a meal or two but hardly a feast of asparagus.

We've been growing 5 crowns for about 8 years now. I totally agree with the
harvesting above. Certainly don't take any this year. It'll not be that
great anyway like you said. Patience is the order here. They do like well
drained, sandy soil, and are usually grown either in mounds or in raised
beds, our are in one foot high beds. I scatter a small amount of salt on
the soil every year because I read somewhere they love to live by the
seaside and benefit from a little salt each year, though I stress it is a
little salt.

The 5 crowns we have produce enough for maybe 5-6 starters each year for 4
people. Asparagus is a treat not a staple food stuff, and I think if I had
40 crowns I would soon tire of eating it nice as it is.

Anyway, 5 crowns in a raised bed about 5 foot long by 18 inches wide, and
it's going great gun.

Duncan

Old 11-05-2005, 12:27 PM

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
Also check your soil type - where do you live? They also like to be in the
full sun and, to the best of my knowledge, aren't that hardy, so would need

We're in East Anglia, hardly the least frosty part of the UK, and ours
have survived several years without problems.

As an aside, could someone please tell me why it's colloquially known as
'sparrows' grass' - is it to do with the sound of the word - or something
else?

I thought it was the other way about, asparagus is a corruption of
sparrow grass, but maybe I'm completely wrong there.

--
Chris Green
Old 11-05-2005, 01:26 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the info - I have a further question:

As you can see in the pic, I have five spears - ranging from a lanky
two feet to a scrawny two inches. Would this be a single crown ? And
does the number of spears increase each year as the crown develops?

I think I'll have to go get some more crowns and sit tight until next
year.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Pam Moore

On 11 May 2005 01:01:30 -0700, "
wrote:

Hi - I purchased an asparagus crowns in the middle of April and planted
it out. The garden nursery said it was a two year old asparagus and
should crop this year, albeit lightly. I know its only been one month,
but it looks a bit spindly to me.

I think yours have established quite well but DON'T cut any.
I put in 5 crowns about 7 years ago, and this year have already had 4
pickings, the best ever.
I also planted, last year, 2 plnts from pots, bought from garden
centre, and 9 seedlings grown at home. The 2 from pots have not shown
at all and of the seedlings, so far only 2 are showing the tiniest bit
of feathery leaf.
Be patient! It will be worth the wait.

Pam in Bristol

Old 11-05-2005, 05:13 PM
The Reids

Following up to Pam Moore

the seedlings, so far only 2 are showing the tiniest bit
of feathery leaf.

I had to weed the seedling with my reading glasses on all first
season.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site