Old 21-05-2009, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What is the best mower for a homeowner??

A self propelled, mulching/bagging/throwing clippings. I have a seven
year old Toro, it's OK, but it doesn't handle thick grass too well.
The underside of the deck cakes very easily.
Any recommendations?
Old 21-05-2009, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 21 May 2009 14:08:03 -0700 (PDT), "Pete E. Kruzer"
wrote:

A self propelled, mulching/bagging/throwing clippings. I have a seven
year old Toro, it's OK, but it doesn't handle thick grass too well.
The underside of the deck cakes very easily.
Any recommendations?

For me, small lawn and aversion to small engines that don't start, the
Black and Decker battery mower is the best I've had so far. I also am
pleased with the service I've had from B&D.
Old 22-05-2009, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

A self propelled, mulching/bagging/throwing clippings. I have a seven
year old Toro, it's OK, but it doesn't handle thick grass too well.
The underside of the deck cakes very easily.
Any recommendations?

Clean the underside, dry, spray with non-stick cooking oil. If your
grass is too tall you will need to use the side shoot, then plan to
mow sooner next time. No more than 1/3 of the grass blade should be
removed at any mowing. Walk across your lawn before mowing to pick up
sticks and other objects. If your shoes get wet, wait awhile to mow
dry grass only. Wet grass will certainly cake up on most mowers and
cause them to bog down. Toro is a good brand.
Old 22-05-2009, 01:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 21, 5:08*pm, "Pete E. Kruzer" wrote:
A self propelled, mulching/bagging/throwing clippings. I have a seven
year old Toro, it's OK, but it doesn't handle thick grass too well.
The underside of the deck cakes very easily.
Any recommendations?

I had an old front wheel drive Toro that kept breaking down. Bought a
rear wheel drive Lawnboy which I like better but grass caking is still
a problem. My son was borrowing it when he first moved in his house
and now he has a Honda, which he says beats Lawnboy hands down.

I believe Toro and Lawnboy are now the same company which I assume
will combine the worse of both names in new mowers in order to save
money
Old 22-05-2009, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Pete E. Kruzer" wrote in message
A self propelled, mulching/bagging/throwing clippings. I have a seven
year old Toro, it's OK, but it doesn't handle thick grass too well.
The underside of the deck cakes very easily.
Any recommendations?

Remove the safety guard from the discharge shoot. This will reduce caking
and blow the clippings in a even pattern across the lawn. Always mow with
the discharge shoot pointing at the mown lawn, not the un-mown lawn.

Old 22-05-2009, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Frank" wrote in message
On May 21, 5:08 pm, "Pete E. Kruzer" wrote:
A self propelled, mulching/bagging/throwing clippings. I have a seven
year old Toro, it's OK, but it doesn't handle thick grass too well.
The underside of the deck cakes very easily.
Any recommendations?

I had an old front wheel drive Toro that kept breaking down. Bought a
rear wheel drive Lawnboy which I like better but grass caking is still
a problem. My son was borrowing it when he first moved in his house
and now he has a Honda, which he says beats Lawnboy hands down.

I believe Toro and Lawnboy are now the same company which I assume
will combine the worse of both names in new mowers in order to save
money

===========

No mystery, all rotary blade mowers clog when mowing overly tall and/or wet
grass. Always wait for grass to dry, and if too tall raise the deck for the
first pass, then make a second lower pass. Mowing has nothing whatsoever to
do with mower brand (if red is your favorite color buy Toro, if green buy a
Lawnboy, etc.), it's all about common sense.

Old 22-05-2009, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

brooklyn1 wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

I'm sure you're right and I don't know how son's Honda fares on wet
grass. In my experience, grass should be absolutely dry before cutting
but often this is not possible or convenient.

My preference is still for rear wheel drive.
Old 22-05-2009, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Frank" wrote in message
brooklyn1 wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

No mower does well with wet grass. Honda makes a quality machine but it
wont mow better than any other brand with wet grass. Mostly what one pays a
higher price for is longiviety of the machine, the power of it's motor, and
quality/availability of service.

My preference is still for rear wheel drive.

I wouldn't buy any self propelled push mower... if the area is so large that
it needs to be power propelled I'd opt for a riding mower. None of the self
propelled mechanisms last very long, they arre continuously troublesome,
they rob too much cutting power, and they make the mower cumbersome and
heavy. If I have to run a mower over so much area that I think I need self
propelled then I'd rather ride than walk.

Old 23-05-2009, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

"The moderator" wrote in message

"Pete E. Kruzer" wrote in message
A self propelled, mulching/bagging/throwing clippings. I have a seven
year old Toro, it's OK, but it doesn't handle thick grass too well.
The underside of the deck cakes very easily.
Any recommendations?

Remove the safety guard from the discharge shoot. This will reduce caking
and blow the clippings in a even pattern across the lawn. Always mow with
the discharge shoot pointing at the mown lawn, not the un-mown lawn.

signature database 4098 (20090522) __________

http://www.eset.com

I just bought a new Honda with a neoprene deck housing, self propelled and
key start. If I want to mulch I don't have to fool around with attaching a
plate, I just move a lever and I can partially mulch of fully mulch. It also
has 2 blades and chops the grass real fine. It costs me $700. So, I feel it
ought to last me for quite a few years. I had a Lawn Boy 2 cycle mower and
was looking for another 2 cycle, but they don't make them any more. The
environmentalists wackos petitioned the government saying that they pollute
the air. It'll be a matter of time before 2 cycle trimmers will be a thing
of the past too. I highly recommend Honda mowers and snow blowers.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4098 (20090522) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old 23-05-2009, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

Tall wet grass cuts best with a Weed-Eater with a metal blade. After it
dries, you can cut it with the mower.

Don't try to mulch or bag overgrown wet grass. You can do that later
when it's under control. Use the side discharge chute.

Does anyone here use a scythe to cut their lawn? I've been looking into
it, but not sure if I could keep it sharp enough for fine-textured grass.

Bob

Old 24-05-2009, 01:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

brooklyn1 wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
brooklyn1 wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

Might agree. I have 0.8 acre lot but heavily terraced. I would not
risk taking a riding mower between sloped levels. There is also general
planting. Neighbor lended me his rider with cart once to give me some
chipped mulch and it was very difficult to maneuver on my lot. Takes me
an hour and a half to cut grass but it takes him longer on rider on same
sized lot. A zero turn mower might work better but that's starting to
get into big bucks.

My Lawnboy's about 10 years old but still starts on the first pull.
Old 24-05-2009, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

I wouldn't buy any self propelled push mower... if the area is so large that
it needs to be power propelled I'd opt for a riding mower. None of the self
propelled mechanisms last very long, they arre continuously troublesome,
they rob too much cutting power, and they make the mower cumbersome and
heavy. If I have to run a mower over so much area that I think I need self
propelled then I'd rather ride than walk.

A self-propelled rear-drive mower is ideal for my 1/2 acre lot. Some
areas are steep where a riding is not practical. My Lawnboy lasted
6 years., the Honda (most expensive) lasted 3 years, and my Toro has
been going strong for 7 years. I can mow 1/2 acre in about 90
minutes.
Old 24-05-2009, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Frank" wrote in message
brooklyn1 wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
brooklyn1 wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

With the terrain you describe all you need is an ordinary push mower... and
if you're living on that lot your house, driveway, walkways. bedded plants,
any shed/outbulding, etc. takes up substantial area... you probably have at
the most like .4 of an acre of actual grass to mow... with it "heavily
terraced" as you say any kind of self propelled machine would be a
hindrance... having to move from one level to another and navagate all kinds
of convoluted areas you want the lightest weight narrowest mower you can
find. Lawnboy used to make an 18" magnesium deck push mower, no one does
anymore. I must have seached for a year for one... all I could find were
junked ones and no parts available. I think the last 18" push mower made
was a Murray.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Registered User

I have an old front-wheel drive, is always Toro broken. Buy a Lawnboy I prefer rear-wheel drive, but the grass is still caking a problem. My son is borrowing it, he just moved his family now he has a Honda, he said, making Lawnboy hands.
__________________
Pond Supplies
Old 20-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Registered User

I had an old foreground caster drive Toro that kept breaking down. Bought a rear caster drive Lawnboy which I like bigger but grass band is still a problem. My son was borrowing it if he aboriginal confused in his house and now he has a Honda, which he says beats Lawnboy easily down.
Grow tents

[IMG] code is On

New Homeowner needs advice: Lawnmower for Bermuda grass Neil Lawns 9 18-03-2005 06:22 AM
New homeowner Jo Cohen Lawns 18 25-09-2003 04:32 PM
new homeowner--grass question Good Golly Gardening 2 02-07-2003 05:56 AM
questions from a first-time homeowner on bugs! jameson Gardening 11 11-04-2003 08:08 AM
patching grass for new homeowner Phisherman Gardening 0 17-02-2003 04:15 AM