Old 06-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Registered User

Default advice about a wisteria

i moved into this bungalow 17 yrs ago it had a wisteria growing up
the front of it. Every year it has grown its leaves then produced flowers
this year it only produced a few flowers first which soon died and then it
produced a few leaves which soon died as well . My neighbour used to have
a high conifer hedge that used to give it shelter but he has had this cut down
I have no experiance in gardening at all so could some one tell me what
problem they think it could be
Also this afternoon i went to check on my gooseberry bush and a swarm
of wasps flew out with what looked like a giant wasp then they all flew back in again
is there anything i can do about that problem
Thankyou
Old 08-06-2009, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

poppyrae wrote:
i moved into this bungalow 17 yrs ago it had a wisteria growing up
the front of it. Every year it has grown its leaves then produced
flowers
this year it only produced a few flowers first which soon died and
then it
produced a few leaves which soon died as well . My neighbour used to
have
a high conifer hedge that used to give it shelter but he has had this
cut down
I have no experiance in gardening at all so could some one tell me
what
problem they think it could be

You don't give much to go on. Was winter particularly wet or dry? What is
the soil like now where it is growing? Does the stem of the wisteria seem
solid and healthy? Are there any new shoots emerging now? Did the cutting
of this hedge change either the light or drainage of the wisteria, if so
how?

Also this afternoon i went to check on my gooseberry bush and a swarm
of wasps flew out with what looked like a giant wasp then they all
flew back in again
is there anything i can do about that problem

I really don't know what to say to that question. Don't go near the
gooseberry bush or spray the wasps would seem to be the choices, fly spray
will do it but take care.

Don't do what my father once did. We had a huge paper-wasp nest hanging
under the eaves of the house and he decided to burn them out with a lighted
rolled-up newspaper. He was stung several times and nearly burned down the
house.

David

Old 08-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Registered User

Thank you for your reply and not being very good on a computer i hope you get this reply
Rearly apart from my neighbour removing his hedge there has not been a lot of difference in the weather Except that now the wisteria is more exposed to the wind THe wisteria is the same height as the bungalow and has only produced 3 very small leaves and they are a yellow the flowers died as soon as they appeared The main stem on the tree seems healthy but there is a lot of dead branches entwined all the way up and a couple of birds nests at the top I have managed to have a close look at one of the leaves and can see no insects on it but the leaf is so small and delicate
as for the gooseberry bush i think i shall have to leave it alone as i could try thefly spray but being 65 i cannot run very fast There was a down pour of rain last night and i was hoping this might make them go and find a dryer place Thanks once again for your reply QUOTE='David Hare-Scott[_2_];849885']poppyrae wrote:
[...]

David[/quote]
Old 08-06-2009, 01:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

did he treat the stumps with something chemical?

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 19:02:20 +0100, poppyrae
wrote:
My neighbour used tohave a high conifer hedge that used to give it shelter but he
has had thiscut down
Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago
Old 08-06-2009, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

"poppyrae" wrote
THe wisteria is the same height as the bungalow and
has only produced 3 very small leaves and they are a yellow the flowers
died as soon as they appeared The main stem on the tree seems healthy
but there is a lot of dead branches entwined all the way up and a
couple of birds nests at the top.

If it's to thrive and florish wisteria needs to be severely pruned back each
year, obviously you're guilty of total neglect.

http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/...x?nterms=74872

Old 09-06-2009, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

brooklyn1 wrote:
"poppyrae" wrote
THe wisteria is the same height as the bungalow and
has only produced 3 very small leaves and they are a yellow the
flowers died as soon as they appeared The main stem on the tree
seems healthy but there is a lot of dead branches entwined all the
way up and a couple of birds nests at the top.

If it's to thrive and florish wisteria needs to be severely pruned
back each year, obviously you're guilty of total neglect.

http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/...x?nterms=74872

Smack smack, baaaad poppy. Yet the same article says:

"Wisteria can live a long, healthy life with no pruning at all, happily
twining, climbing, and sprawling over everything in its path."

David

Old 09-06-2009, 12:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
brooklyn1 wrote:
"poppyrae" wrote
THe wisteria is the same height as the bungalow and
has only produced 3 very small leaves and they are a yellow the
flowers died as soon as they appeared The main stem on the tree
seems healthy but there is a lot of dead branches entwined all the
way up and a couple of birds nests at the top.

If it's to thrive and florish wisteria needs to be severely pruned
back each year, obviously you're guilty of total neglect.

http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/...x?nterms=74872

Smack smack, baaaad poppy. Yet the same article says:

"Wisteria can live a long, healthy life with no pruning at all, happily
twining, climbing, and sprawling over everything in its path."

David

I just knew you would glom onto that... proof you're abjectly lazy and
functionally illiterate... if you put down the beer and bong long enough to
check a dictionary you may learn that "can" doesn't mean "will" ---
functionally illiterate because you can't comprehend the obverse *irony* the
author injected by that one statement with respect to the entire article on
pruning. Just in case you don't get it, ignorance is bliss. Be happy.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 8, 9:46*am, "brooklyn1" wrote:
"poppyrae" wrote

THe wisteria is the same height as the bungalow and
has only produced 3 very small leaves and they are a yellow *the flowers
died as soon as they appeared The main stem on the tree seems healthy
but there is a lot of dead branches entwined all the way up and a
couple of birds nests at the top.

If it's to thrive and florish wisteria needs to be severely pruned back each
year, obviously you're guilty of total neglect.

http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/...steria.aspx?nt...

The wisteria at my childhood home grew well and produced a beautiful
showing every year with absolutely no care. It was planted by previous
owners and was still going strong when my family moved away. Some was
growing on a chain link fence in full sun and some grew in a stand of
trees on the opposite side of the yard. Last time I drove past the
place, most of the trees were gone.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

brooklyn1 wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
brooklyn1 wrote:
"poppyrae" wrote
[...]

Plonk

David

[IMG] code is On

Advice on Wisteria and olive tree ilansachi Gardening 2 17-10-2007 09:12 AM
[IBC] Chinese Wisteria Advice Requested Beckenbach,Joseph R Bonsai 2 02-06-2005 10:51 PM
Wisteria (pink ice) pruning advice Mike Day United Kingdom 5 30-04-2003 08:44 PM
Wisteria! Cereoid+10 Gardening 0 23-01-2003 07:28 PM
Wisteria!! GrampysGurl Gardening 1 23-01-2003 06:09 PM