Old 18-06-2009, 07:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Off Topic but ....Out in the sun or not

God i like to get a little burnt but being a fair hair leaping gnome
who had melanoma excised I'm a bit slow to repeat my excesses of youth
sometimes. So what it a best path?

Question where do we get vitamin D aside from light?

Current art suggests.

: Ann Epidemiol. 2009 Jul;19(7):468-83.
Links

Vitamin D for cancer prevention: global perspective.
Garland CF, Gorham ED, Mohr SB, Garland FC.
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California
San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA.
PURPOSE: Higher serum levels of the main circulating form of vitamin D,
25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D), are associated with substantially lower
incidence rates of colon, breast, ovarian, renal, pancreatic, aggressive
prostate and other cancers. METHODS: Epidemiological findings combined
with newly discovered mechanisms suggest a new model of cancer etiology
that accounts for these actions of 25(OH)D and calcium. Its seven phases
are disjunction, initiation, natural selection, overgrowth, metastasis,
involution, and transition (abbreviated DINOMIT). Vitamin D metabolites
prevent disjunction of cells and are beneficial in other phases.
RESULTS/CONCLUSIONS: It is projected that raising the minimum
year-around serum 25(OH)D level to 40 to 60 ng/mL (100-150 nmol/L) would
prevent approximately 58,000 new cases of breast cancer and 49,000 new
cases of colorectal cancer each year, and three fourths of deaths from
these diseases in the United States and Canada, based on observational
studies combined with a randomized trial. Such intakes also are expected
to reduce case-fatality rates of patients who have breast, colorectal,
or prostate cancer by half. There are no unreasonable risks from intake
of 2000 IU per day of vitamin D(3), or from a population serum 25(OH)D
level of 40 to 60 ng/mL. The time has arrived for nationally coordinated
action to substantially increase intake of vitamin D and calcium.
PMID: 19523595 [PubMed - in process]

I purchase

http://www.amazon.com/Carlson-Labora...ftgels/dp/B000
14D192/ref=pd_sim_gro_1

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
-James Madison

Old 19-06-2009, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

Worried Sick: How Vulnerable Are You Really to Heart Attack, Stroke or
Breast Cancer?
By Maggie Mahar, Health Beat
Posted on November 27, 2008, Printed on June 18, 2009
http://www.alternet.org/story/108867/

Assume that you are a 40-year-old man. What do you think the chances
are that you will die of a heart attack or stroke in the next 10
years? (Please forgive the morbidity of the question; there is a
purpose to this pop quiz.) The answer: just 4 out of 10,000 according
to Drs. Steve Woloshin and Lisa Schwartz, authors of Know Your
Chances. The chances that you will die in an accident before reaching
your 50th birthday are 50 percent higher: 6 out of 10,000.

"Worried Sick: How Vulnerable Are You Really?"
I figure I'm 100% vulnerable, really. When I stop being vulnerable
I'll stop worrying about it. Meantime, it's not too much saturated
fat, stay away from white flour (especially bleached), take the salt off
the table, buy organic when I can, eat 5 servings of fruits and
vegetables every day, and (sigh) seriously cut back on alcoholic
beverages. But then I'm 66 and I just want to push this wreck down the
road a little bit further.

The article sort of sounds like my HMO. "Raise your arms. Turn your
head. How does this feel? Do these exercises. No need for expensive scans
at your age."

Lovey-poo's aunt, 90, hell on wheels, diagnosed with cancer in a 1/3 of
her left lung, is told (by the same HMO that I belong to) that at her
age, the operation could kill her. "Oxen shisten" she replies,
and 5 months later is scabed-up, and just as mean and nasty
as ever.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for cost/benefit considerations, just
not at my cost for their benefit.

http://www.boston.com/news/health/ar...ng_in_the_way_
of_a_doctor8217s_calling/

ELLEN GOODMAN
Getting in the way of a doctorıs calling
By Ellen Goodman *|* June 19, 2009
THERE WILL BE time to talk about costs and coverage, about public and
private plans, about reasoning and rationing in healthcare reform. So
the president began this week speaking to the workers in the system:
doctors.

At the meeting of the American Medical Association, Barack Obama tackled
the model ³that has taken the pursuit of medicine from a profession - a
calling - to a business.ıı He reminded doctors: ³You didnıt enter this
profession to become bean counters and paper pushers. You entered this
profession to be healers. And thatıs what our healthcare system should
let you be.ıı
------

Of course it won't do any good, but write to your Congressional
representatives and tell them we want single-payer health care.
For good measure, you might tell them to screw the insurance companies
while they're at it. Turn about is fair play.
----

If you haven't seen it, see the movie "Sicko" for a superficial
comparison of American health insurance compared with Canada's and
France.
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Old 04-07-2009, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

I had an interesting conversation with somebody about the effect of women who have to
be covered heat to foot in a burka or some such and how seriously their health is
affected by a lack of sun exposure and decrease in vit D!!!!
Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago
Old 04-07-2009, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 18, 12:07*pm, Bill who putters wrote:
* God i like to get a little burnt *but being a fair hair leaping gnome
who had melanoma *excised I'm a bit slow to repeat my excesses of youth
sometimes. *So what it a best path?

Supplements.

However, you probably get enough sun to provide vitamin D taking out
the garbage twice a week. You only need 5-30 minutes or something
like that.
Dora
Old 04-07-2009, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
wrote:

On Jun 18, 12:07*pm, Bill who putters wrote:
* God i like to get a little burnt *but being a fair hair leaping gnome
who had melanoma *excised I'm a bit slow to repeat my excesses of youth
sometimes. *So what it a best path?

Supplements.

However, you probably get enough sun to provide vitamin D taking out
the garbage twice a week. You only need 5-30 minutes or something
like that.
Dora

Big Vince and I say maybe more is better.

Bill confused yes.

From: bigvince
Newsgroups: sci.med.cardiology
Subject: Vitamin d guess who was left out.?
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 11:46:00 -0800 (PST)

http://aahf.nonprofitsoapbox.com/ind...nt&task=view&i
d=672&Itemid=

Institute of Medicine Has Announced the Next Vit D Food and Nutrition
Board. Guess Who is Left Out?

Vitamin D has been called the ³buzz² vitamin of 2008. Itıs early 2009
and current medical research demonstrating the benefits of optimal
vitamin D supplementation is still coming in. Vitamin D has now been
found to help diminish age-related mental decline, and vitamin D
deficiency is linked to erythropoietic protoporphyria
photosensitivity, a metabolic disorder characterized by a deficiency
of a particular enzyme in the blood, which causes excessive amounts of
the chemical compound protoporphyrin to accumulate in the bone marrow,
blood plasma, and red blood cells. The major symptom of this disorder
is hypersensitivity of the skin to sunlight and some types of
artificial light. After exposure to light, the skin may become itchy
and red. Affected individuals may also experience a burning sensation
on their skin. The January 2009 Life Extension printed an eloquent
article by Bill Faloon citing the research and giving a myriad of
reasons to supplement with Vitamin D.

A quiet announcement by the governmentıs Institute of Medicine (IOM)
recently announced the members of the next Vitamin D Food and
Nutrition Board (FNB). This committee will set recommendations for
both adequate intake and upper limits for the next decade. According
to the founder of the Vitamin D Council, John J. Cannell, MD,
³Unfortunately, the scientists who have led the vitamin D revolution
for the last ten years are all excluded.² Dr. Cannellıs list of
excluded vitamin D experts is long: Drs. Vieth, Giovannucci, Garland,
Hollis, Heaney, Wagner, Norman, Hankinson, Whitting, and Hanley, among
others. Many of the excluded experts have used strong language to
criticize the Institute of Medicine.

The Food and Nutrition Board believes that adequate intake of vitamin
D is the same for the largest pregnant women as for the smallest
premature infant, a notion that is patently absurd. Keep in mind that
animal studies have demonstrated vitamin D deficiency cause neuronal
injury and autistic-like changes in the brains of their offspring.

According to Dr. Cannell, ³Current research indicates that vitamin D
deficiency plays a role in causing 17 varieties of cancer as well as
heart disease, stroke, hypertension, autoimmune diseases, diabetes,
depression, chronic pain, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, muscle
weakness, muscle wasting, birth defects, and periodontal disease.²
Colleen Hayes, PhD of U of Wisconsin, who has done ground-breaking
research on MS and Vitamin D, states that residents at the equator,
where vitamin D deficiency is unknown, get the equivalent of 5000 IU
of vitamin D daily. (Consult a knowledgeable physician to determine by
a blood test whether you need vitamin D supplementation.)

We deserve to hear from our nationıs experts about vitamin D. Click
here to send a letter to your Congressional Representative and Senator
to insure that all experts are consulted by the government about an
important nutrient, vitamin D, to keep you healthy. And that the
government inform the public about the revolution in vitamin D
research. Imagine for a moment that vitamin D were a new drug. The
government (along with drug companies) would shout from the rooftops
about it.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://www.youtube.com/usnationalarchives

Old 05-07-2009, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 4, 1:47*pm, Bill who putters wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
On Jun 18, 12:07*pm, Bill who putters wrote:
* God i like to get a little burnt *but being a fair hair leaping gnome
who had melanoma *excised I'm a bit slow to repeat my excesses of youth
sometimes. *So what it a best path?

Supplements.

However, you probably get enough sun to provide vitamin D taking out
the garbage twice a week. *You only need 5-30 minutes or something
like that.
Dora

*Big Vince and I say maybe more is better.

Bill *confused yes.

Yeah but you've had melanoma.

More isn't always better with vitamins. Too much vitamin D can
calcify your blood vessels and contributes to the formation of kidney
stones. So you have to be careful with supplements. But most people
don't need them.

Dora
Old 07-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Yeah but you've had melanoma.
Dora
That's an important point, and Bill, you should really discuss this with your doctor. However, there is increasing evidence that many people have gone too far the other way with sun exposure, and consequently, many people, particularly in temperate climates or as you point out, who wear completely enveloping garments, are seriously deficient in vitamin D and that this is higher in people who use sunscreen carefully (a recent paper found that dermatologists in Australia were almost all grossly deficient). The current recommendations in the UK are to expose one fifth of the body for 20 minutes each day, but there are concerns that in northern climates, this is sufficient only in summer - far greater exposure and/or supplementation is needed in winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
More isn't always better with vitamins. Too much vitamin D can
calcify your blood vessels and contributes to the formation of kidney
stones. So you have to be careful with supplements. But most people
don't need them.
This is true to an extent. However, there is considerable debate as to how much vitamin D is 'enough'. Current recommendations are 200-400 IU, increasing to 700IU in people aged 70 years, with an upper limit of 1000 IU. Many experts now consider that this is too low, and recommend a minimum of 1500 IU, particularly for women, as insufficient vit D prevents calcium absorption, leading to increase likelihood of osteoporosis. A risk assessment carried out in 2007 (Hathcock JN, Shao A, Vieth R, Heaney R. Risk assessment for vitamin D. Am J Clin Nutr 2007;85:6-18), analysing a number of studies, found that doses as high as 10,000 IU were not associated with significant harm.

The consensus also seems to be that 'natural' sources of vitamin D such as cod liver oil are better than 'synthetic' sources, because the latter are usually part of a multivitamin formulation, and thus if you try to increase your level of vit D, you may well exceed the toxic doses of other components, particularly vit A. A teaspoon of cod liver oil contains around 450 IU of vitamin D.

Everyone really should be increasing their intake of oily fish, not just for vit D, and you are unlikely to do yourself any harm taking up to 2 teaspoons of cod liver oil (around the equivalent of a high-dose 800 microgram capsule). BUT please see your doctor first, and ask to have your vitamin D level measured.