Old 23-08-2009, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help on killing multiflora rose

I've tried brush killer and repeated to the ground pruning and combinations
there of -

HELP - I missed it when it was a seedling and now it seems poised to take
over despite my best efforts. I've tried cutting to the ground and putting a
cement block over the stump (for the lack a better phrase).

Cheryl

Old 23-08-2009, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak"wrote:

I've tried brush killer and repeated to the ground pruning and
combinations
there of -

HELP - I missed it when it was a seedling and now it seems poised to take
over despite my best efforts. I've tried cutting to the ground and putting
cement block over the stump (for the lack a better phrase).

Cheryl

Placing a stone over the a rose bush stump will only encourage wider growth.
Dig around the stump as deeply as is practical for your abilities or get
someone to help dig and pull out the stump and/or lop off as much of the
root system as you can. If this rose bush has been growing from a seedling
only a couple three years (which is what I suspect if you say you haven't
noticed it) it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to totally remove it with
a garden spade, especially now that you already cut it to the ground... why
didn't you simply continue and dig it up, probably less labor than hauling a
cement block. Dig it up right away because now that you've cut it to the
ground it will make a concerted effort to live by enlarging its root system.
Were it me I'd move it to a better location... wild rose makes excellent
wildlife habitat, small song birds love to nest amongst all those thorns.

Old 23-08-2009, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in
:

Were it me I'd move it to a better location... wild rose makes
excellent wildlife habitat, small song birds love to nest
amongst all those thorns.

not multiflora rose, which is an invasive species. but then, you're
the one who thinks your multiflora rose is a rugosa...
lee
Old 24-08-2009, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/23/09 12:59 PM, in article ,
"enigma" wrote:

"brooklyn1" wrote in
:

Were it me I'd move it to a better location... wild rose makes
excellent wildlife habitat, small song birds love to nest
amongst all those thorns.

not multiflora rose, which is an invasive species. but then, you're
the one who thinks your multiflora rose is a rugosa...
lee

Thank you Lee - have you had problems with it too? I've heard that it is
getting to be more of a pest than it had been in NH

Cheryl

Old 24-08-2009, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 08:38:44 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

I've tried brush killer and repeated to the ground pruning and combinations
there of -

HELP - I missed it when it was a seedling and now it seems poised to take
over despite my best efforts. I've tried cutting to the ground and putting a
cement block over the stump (for the lack a better phrase).

Cheryl, you have my condolences, it is a big pain for sure.

Here is a pretty good article, may give you some ideas on
how to proceed:

http://www.se-eppc.org/manual/multirose.html

My Mom remembers when it was being promoted as a "living
fence" in this area. Didn't work out so well in the long
run...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Old 24-08-2009, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

Thank you Lee - have you had problems with it too? I've heard
that it is getting to be more of a pest than it had been in NH

i have a big one on the rt 43 side of my pond, & i'm constantly
pulling little ones in the pasture.
the big one shrunk quite a bit after the flooding, so maybe they
dislike really wet feet?
lee
Old 25-08-2009, 01:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I've tried brush killer and repeated to the ground pruning and combinations
there of -

HELP - I missed it when it was a seedling and now it seems poised to take
over despite my best efforts. I've tried cutting to the ground and putting a
cement block over the stump (for the lack a better phrase).

Cheryl, you have my condolences, it is a big pain for sure.

Here is a pretty good article, may give you some ideas on
how to proceed:

http://www.se-eppc.org/manual/multirose.html

My Mom remembers when it was being promoted as a "living
fence" in this area. Didn't work out so well in the long
run...

Thank you Leon. That does look helpful. A friend with one in a worse spot
calls it bush from hell. Her DH attacked it a chainsaw and poured Roundup on
the "stumps". No go - more canes than ever.

Cheryl

Old 25-08-2009, 07:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 08:03:31 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

snip
Thank you Leon. That does look helpful. A friend with one in a worse spot
calls it bush from hell. Her DH attacked it a chainsaw and poured Roundup on
the "stumps". No go - more canes than ever.

They may have killed the original problem, but if it
produced seeds for a year two... As the article I linked to
mentions, "A medium-sized bush is capable of producing
500,000 to 1,000,000 seeds." and "Seeds may remain viable in
the soil for 10-20 years."

We have quite a few on our ~36 acres, the birds like them
and well, you know how that goes I've noticed how they
and the Autumn Olives tend to pop up more frequently
underneath the power lines, where the birds tend to perch.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Old 25-08-2009, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 08:03:31 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

snip
Thank you Leon. That does look helpful. A friend with one in a worse spot
calls it bush from hell. Her DH attacked it a chainsaw and poured Roundup
on
the "stumps". No go - more canes than ever.

They may have killed the original problem, but if it
produced seeds for a year two... As the article I linked to
mentions, "A medium-sized bush is capable of producing
500,000 to 1,000,000 seeds." and "Seeds may remain viable in
the soil for 10-20 years."

We have quite a few on our ~36 acres, the birds like them
and well, you know how that goes I've noticed how they
and the Autumn Olives tend to pop up more frequently
underneath the power lines, where the birds tend to perch.

It's only those who live on puny city lots or live in a furnished room in a
tenement building who think wild rose is a nuisance plant... it's folks who
have a few acres who appreciate wild rose as excellent wildlife habitat.
And it's extremely easy to keep wild rose, or any prolific plant, under
control with loppers and mowers... of course those who live in a furnished
room wouldn't have a clue.

Old 26-08-2009, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in
:

It's only those who live on puny city lots or live in a
furnished room in a tenement building who think wild rose is a
nuisance plant... it's folks who have a few acres who appreciate
wild rose as excellent wildlife habitat. And it's extremely easy
to keep wild rose, or any prolific plant, under control with
loppers and mowers... of course those who live in a furnished
room wouldn't have a clue.

ya think? seems several states & the Feds disagree with you:
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ROMU

http://www.ipcnys.org/
http://www.nysgextension.org/glhabit...ts/invasives.h
tm
not listed as noxious in NY, but it's on the invasives watch list.
lee
Old 26-08-2009, 12:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/25/09 7:36 PM, in article ,
"enigma" wrote:

"brooklyn1" wrote in
:

It's only those who live on puny city lots or live in a
furnished room in a tenement building who think wild rose is a
nuisance plant... it's folks who have a few acres who appreciate
wild rose as excellent wildlife habitat. And it's extremely easy
to keep wild rose, or any prolific plant, under control with
loppers and mowers... of course those who live in a furnished
room wouldn't have a clue.

ya think? seems several states & the Feds disagree with you:
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ROMU

http://www.ipcnys.org/
http://www.nysgextension.org/glhabit...ts/invasives.h
tm
not listed as noxious in NY, but it's on the invasives watch list.
lee

I think NH has added it to the invasive list or is about too. It can be like
kudzu up here.

Cheryl

Old 26-08-2009, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
JC JC is offline

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 8/25/09 7:36 PM, in article
,
"enigma" wrote:

"brooklyn1" wrote in
:

[...]

Down here in south Texas we have the McCartney rose version. Some lady
wanted to plant some in her yard and she called into a gardenline type
radio program. She asked how she should plant it and the host said
"lady, just throw some seeds out on the ground and run like hell".
That's about as true a statement as I've heard on this stuff.

Old 26-08-2009, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 8/25/09 7:36 PM, in article
, "enigma"
wrote:

ya think? seems several states & the Feds disagree with you:
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ROMU

I think NH has added it to the invasive list or is about too. It
can be like kudzu up here.

yes, it's on the banned invasives list in NH now. this summer's
invasive removal project here has mostly been Oriental bittersweet
vines. last year was all the damned Norway maples... i'm still
finding crossbreeds though. i doubt most people would fuss about the
crossbreeds, but you don't get any usable sap out of one.
lee