Old 22-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Registered User

Location: Leeds, UK
Default Seed for Growing Tomato

The Most popular and recommended suppliers as per my point of view a Suttons Seeds, Dobies Seeds, Unwins Seeds and Thompson & Morgan. May kindly share, if you have more variety in this regard.
Old 22-12-2009, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
tomatogrower

I've always bought from Gurneys and Henries (which are owned by the same
parent company) and RareSeeds.com. RareSeeds gets more and more of my
business as they have a wonderful selection of heirloom and different seeds
from around the world, and I find myself more and more interested in these
varieties. Gurneys is for the average run of the mill seeds.

Old 22-12-2009, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

tomatogrower wrote:
The Most popular and recommended suppliers as per my point of view
a Suttons Seeds, Dobies Seeds, Unwins Seeds and Thompson & Morgan.
May kindly share, if you have more variety in this regard.

Knowing which continent you are on might help

David
Old 23-12-2009, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in message

"tomatogrower" wrote in message

The Most popular and recommended suppliers as per my point of view a
Suttons Seeds, Dobies Seeds, Unwins Seeds and Thompson & Morgan. May
kindly share, if you have more variety in this regard.

--
tomatogrower

I've always bought from Gurneys and Henries (which are owned by the same
parent company) and RareSeeds.com. RareSeeds gets more and more of my
business as they have a wonderful selection of heirloom and different
seeds from around the world, and I find myself more and more interested in
these varieties. Gurneys is for the average run of the mill seeds.

I might also mention that RareSeeds has seeds for over 200 different
tomatoes, categorized by color into 8 groups.

Old 25-12-2009, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Zootal wrote:
"Zootal" wrote in message
"tomatogrower" wrote in message
The Most popular and recommended suppliers as per my point of view a
Suttons Seeds, Dobies Seeds, Unwins Seeds and Thompson & Morgan. May
kindly share, if you have more variety in this regard.

--
tomatogrower

I've always bought from Gurneys and Henries (which are owned by the same
parent company) and RareSeeds.com. RareSeeds gets more and more of my
business as they have a wonderful selection of heirloom and different
seeds from around the world, and I find myself more and more interested in
these varieties. Gurneys is for the average run of the mill seeds.

I might also mention that RareSeeds has seeds for over 200 different
tomatoes, categorized by color into 8 groups.

Thanks for mentioning RareSeeds http://rareseeds.com/

I, too, am increasingly interested in such seeds and plants. I
wonder why!

--
Jean B.

Old 25-12-2009, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jean B." wrote in message
Zootal wrote:
"Zootal" wrote in message
"tomatogrower" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Initially it was their variety that first attracted me. So many different
types of tomatoes and eggplants! I grew ten different types of tomatoes last
year, and I think eight different types of eggplants. About ten different
types of peppers. None of their seeds are hybrid, so you can save the seeds
if you are carefull not to cross breed them. Now I'm to the point of growing
only heirlooms and open pollenated plants, and I save more of my seeds each
year.

Now it's the end of December. I have one last tomatillo sitting on the
shelf. Maybe 4 or 5 onions left. Everything else is either eaten, canned, or
frozen. I almost never buy any kind of fresh or frozen produce from the
store because I can and freeze enough to get me through the winter. I almost
cry when I see the withered and overpriced zuccinis at the store, and
remember all the fresh ones I had. Planting 10 summer squash plants was
probably not the wisest thing I did, but I had no shortage of squash! And
there are soo many to choose from!

Old 26-12-2009, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:26:25 -0500, tomatogrower
wrote:

The Most popular and recommended suppliers as per my point of view a
Suttons Seeds, Dobies Seeds, Unwins Seeds and Thompson & Morgan. May
kindly share, if you have more variety in this regard.

In the US, I like Johnny's, Park's, Pinetree and wherever it is I find
Bradley's.
Old 29-12-2009, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

The Most popular and recommended suppliers as per my point of view a
Suttons Seeds, Dobies Seeds, Unwins Seeds and Thompson & Morgan. May
kindly share, if you have more variety in this regard.

In the US, I like Johnny's, Park's, Pinetree and wherever it is I find
Bradley's.

Glad to see this thread! I was getting tired of the "usual
suspects"
available at the nurseries and home-owner stores.

Which of the above-listed (including the heirlooms) would do best in
So. Calif. coastal. Note that I like a "sharp" acidic? tomato, not a
bland one. For eating, not necessarily cooking.

Your recommendations appreciated.

Persephone
Old 29-12-2009, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

The Most popular and recommended suppliers as per my point of view a
Suttons Seeds, Dobies Seeds, Unwins Seeds and Thompson & Morgan. May
kindly share, if you have more variety in this regard.

In the US, I like Johnny's, Park's, Pinetree and wherever it is I find
Bradley's.

Glad to see this thread! I was getting tired of the "usual
suspects"
available at the nurseries and home-owner stores.

Which of the above-listed (including the heirlooms) would do best in
So. Calif. coastal. Note that I like a "sharp" acidic? tomato, not a
bland one. For eating, not necessarily cooking.

Your recommendations appreciated.

Persephone

I really don't know about your growing climate - Bradley's are a
southern tomato - pretty acidic if you grow the real deal. Johnny's
has a tomato called First Lady that I like a lot too. Park's Whopper
is a beefstake, I think.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Old 30-12-2009, 12:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

The Most popular and recommended suppliers as per my point of view a
Suttons Seeds, Dobies Seeds, Unwins Seeds and Thompson & Morgan. May
kindly share, if you have more variety in this regard.

In the US, I like Johnny's, Park's, Pinetree and wherever it is I find
Bradley's.

Glad to see this thread! I was getting tired of the "usual
suspects"
available at the nurseries and home-owner stores.

Which of the above-listed (including the heirlooms) would do best in
So. Calif. coastal. Note that I like a "sharp" acidic? tomato, not a
bland one. For eating, not necessarily cooking.

Your recommendations appreciated.

Persephone

Green Zebra's have a nice amount of acid, as do some of the other
green types. Probably you, like I, would not be too fond of the
black types.

--
Jean B.

Old 30-12-2009, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "Jean B."
wrote:

Green Zebra's have a nice amount of acid, as do some of the other
green types. Probably you, like I, would not be too fond of the
black types.

I had Black Krim last year, but they didn't produce much for me. Good
tomato though.

I like Green Zebra and Blondkopfchen because they hold up well against
encroaching winter, when other tomatoes have started to turn to mush.
Then there are the Brandywines and the German Striped for slicing, the
Stupice to get the season started, and the Yellow Pear, because it
always volunteers:O)

It's winter, and time to plan. Spring is just a couple of months away,
so I got pencil and paper, and I'm figuring out my crop rotation and
what's gonna' go where.

Got me a T5, k5000 bay light this year. I'll start germinating seeds in
Feb. Come May, I should have nearly mature plants to put in the ground.
I'll put down clear plastic strips on either side of the row crops to
warm the ground some (I'm on the north side of a hill), but I want to
leave space around the plants for hand watering (It's therapeutic.).
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
Old 31-12-2009, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jean B." wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

My favorites were Pineapple and Cherokee Purple. I grew a Black Krim that
was tasty

Old 01-01-2010, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Wildbilly wrote:
In article , "Jean B."
wrote:

[...]

Yeah.... I am in the process of moving and need to figure out all
of these things--being both gardens of edible things and trees.
Etc. Fun, fun!

--
Jean B.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in message

"Zootal" wrote in message

"tomatogrower" wrote in message

The Most popular and recommended suppliers as per my point of view a
Suttons Seeds, Dobies Seeds, Unwins Seeds and Thompson & Morgan. May
kindly share, if you have more variety in this regard.

--
tomatogrower

I've always bought from Gurneys and Henries (which are owned by the same
parent company) and RareSeeds.com. RareSeeds gets more and more of my
business as they have a wonderful selection of heirloom and different
seeds from around the world, and I find myself more and more interested
in these varieties. Gurneys is for the average run of the mill seeds.

I had a disastrous experience with Gurney's about 5 years ago and they did
nothing to fix the situation. I will never deal with them again...ever!
Rareseeds.com is Baker Creek Heirloom seeds, and one of my favorites. They
are extremely generous with their packets also.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Tomatopedia's Avatar
Registered User

Location: West Sussex

Please have a look at the selection of seeds available on my site Tomatopedia! Home of Tomato Seeds, We aim to provide gardeners with the largest selection of tomato seeds. Unfortunately, many British centres offer very few varieties for tomato growing. We currently have a store of over 900 tomato varieties. We have heirloom seeds, hybrids and rare seeds. The selections are categorised into shapes such as beefsteak tomato seeds, cherry tomato seeds, plum, ox heart and pear tomatoes. You can also look for tomatoes whose colour are not the standard red such as pink, orange, bi-coloured, striped and even white tomatoes. We have varieties for patios and hanging baskets. They are offered to you by Tomatopedia and are sourced from seed suppliers around the world.