Old 20-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Registered User

Location: Highlands of Scotland
Default Japanese knotweed

Hi I'm interested to see what sort of problems people encountered with japanese knotweed and how they have managed to get rid of the weed.
Old 25-01-2010, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
Hcaterpillar

Do a Google search under 'Japanese knotweed' or 'Polygonum
cuspidatum'. As this is one of the most pernicious of invasive weeds
and very widespread in its occurrence, you'll find dozens of sites
remarking on it and offering means of control. Eradication is
difficult and requires repeated efforts. Do not expect this to be
easily resolved in a single season. And if it is on neighboring
properties, it's going to have to be a joint effort.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Paw Paw is offline

Hi Caterpillar, Gardengal is right. It's a terribly invasive
weed ... unless you like it. Then it's a fast-growing plant that
requires no care whatsoever. It's kind of pretty too and can be used
to screen off things that aren't so pretty. Another good feature is
that it's good to eat. The young, springtime shoots are not as sour
as rhubarb but not unlike rhubarb either, except they're hollow. Bon
appetit y'all.

-Paw, Doomer in Chief
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brierpatch/

Old 10-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Registered User

Hi Caterpillar

I get rid of knotweed as a living and I am happy to provide advice to help if needed. The good news is that knotweed can be solved and herbicides are a good starting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw View Post

wrote:
Hi I'm interested to see what sort of problems people encountered with
japanese knotweed and how they have managed to get rid of the weed.

--
Hcaterpillar

Do a Google search under 'Japanese knotweed' or 'Polygonum
cuspidatum'. As this is one of the most pernicious of invasive weeds
and very widespread in its occurrence, you'll find dozens of sites
remarking on it and offering means of control. Eradication is
difficult and requires repeated efforts. Do not expect this to be
easily resolved in a single season. And if it is on neighboring
properties, it's going to have to be a joint effort.

[IMG] code is On

japanese knotweed gntry Gardening 13 28-07-2004 03:02 PM
Japanese bamboo knotweed Tim923 Plant Science 9 24-07-2004 10:50 AM
Japanese knotweed pics Tim923 Gardening 5 10-07-2004 12:02 AM
Japanese Knotweed (BBC1, Countryfile today) al Gardening 3 02-09-2003 01:02 AM
Japanese Knotweed Janice United Kingdom 1 19-07-2003 12:23 AM