Old 23-01-2010, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Herbs and Deer

Naga Jolokia writes:

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from contains these words:

brooklyn1 writes:

mjciccarel wrote:
Are there Herbs that will deter Deer from the garden?
Yes... plant a fence.

Yep, I agree completely.
Absolutely the only thing that has a chance of working.

I've tried everything else. If read the deer don't like this,
they don't like that. Well, the truth is, they may not like some
kinds of plants, but they'll eat them anyway.

Last year I put up a 6 foot high fence:

http://mysite.verizon.net/despen/fence/

I have high hopes for this working.

Your hopes are higher than the fence; get a higher fence and
remember tall the gates have to be the same height (and kept shut).

Janet

it might be too late to get another fence now. one thing you could do
it to add about 2 more feet of net fence on top of the wooden
fence. the net fence is nearly invisible but the posts supporting it
might be unsightly. you can use thin metal/iron rods as posts to
support the net fence.

That's plan B. Well, by now, probably plan J or K...

I think the neighbors might complain if they have to look at it
but in the summer we get enough vegatation that they won't see it.
I can put the netting up and take it down as needed.
Old 24-01-2010, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Are there Herbs that will deter Deer from the garden?

MJ

Instead of herbs, get a motion detector that barks like it's
going for the kill whenever something (deer)crosses its path.
One will work but two will work even better.

DEM

Old 24-01-2010, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

brooklyn1 wrote in
:

mjciccarel wrote:

Are there Herbs that will deter Deer from the garden?

Yes... plant a fence.

a really high one
lee
Old 24-01-2010, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

I don't know about herbs but a friend of mine has a large apple orchard
and he goes to the barber shop and gets human hair to put around in his
orchard to repel deer. He also has a big dog that runs lose so I would
imagine that's also a help.

Rich

Old 24-01-2010, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
enigma wrote:

brooklyn1 wrote in
:

mjciccarel wrote:

Are there Herbs that will deter Deer from the garden?

Yes... plant a fence.

a really high one
lee

I was thinking a 4 foot fence with a few dogs.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/757.html What is Global Dimming??
Less light more shade world wide food implications
Reduction of Vitamin D too?

Old 25-01-2010, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Bill who putters wrote in news:b2forewagner-
:

I was thinking a 4 foot fence with a few dogs.

well, then you have dogs in the garden. that's not ideal either. my
dogs like to dig nice cool pits to nap in, for instance, & they never
look at plant labels...
and it depends on the dog. my Malamute (a breed known for it's
strong prey drive) only chases coyotes. he'll sit and watch the
squirrels eating at the feeders in his yard. they can be a foot from
his nose & he just watches. when he's loose in the pasture, he runs
down to the llamas, stands there for a minute, then totally ignores
them (but then, dogs do learn that sometimes weird other creatures
are part of their pack). he is afraid of the goats. i suspect deer
fall into the "looks like a llama, ignore it" catagory by association
though.
Kirby is too old to chase anything, Scout is like Chief in not
chasing other animals (he's never even chased the chickens). my son's
Boston Terrier, OTOH, might... she's not allowed loose in the pasture
because she does annoy the llamas, & she *will* get herself stomped
one of these days. fearless is bad when combined with brainless.
dumbest dog i've ever met (& i thought Kirby was dumb when we adopted
him. he's a genius compared to Peanut!)
lee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bli-3_tVU2M

Bill Guess only good for pigmy deer.

Old 31-01-2010, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 23, 5:52*am, mj wrote:
Are there Herbs that will deter Deer from the garden?

MJ

Ok, without a doubt, a tall, sturdy fence is most effective, but if a
fence doesn't work well into a landscaping plan there are herbs that
can help deter the megamunchers.

We bought a large rural property that came with a herd of deer who bed
down in the woods directly behind the house. The first year we were
here we thought they were charming...then they ate their way through a
few hundred dollars worth of perennials & annuals I'd lovingly added
to the front yard.

Everyone's deer are different, but over time I've discovered that if I
surround most of my flowering plants with Rosemary, Lavender and
creeping Lime Thyme, the deer leave them alone. Think big - larger
herbs will exude more deer repelling scent while providing wonderful
contrast to vulnerable specimens. Exceptions are roses and tulips -
deer candy.

I also learned to lean heavily on annuals like marigolds and zinnias
which my deer ignore completely. Daffodils & Iris of any kind are
safe and as well as tough perennials like Shasta Daisies and Black-
eyed Susans.

About twice a year we spray a few things with PlantSkyd (which my
husband calls the bucket of blood) to deter the yearlings from
browsing the day lilies, dogwood and hostas. Works like a charm.

After 6 years, we've made our peace with the deer & frequently field
questions from longtime residents wondering how we keep our garden
flowering with all the deer.

Just my 2 cents,
Nancy T

[IMG] code is On

Herbs and Deer mj North Carolina 7 18-03-2010 01:28 PM
Herbs and Deer [email protected] Edible Gardening 8 02-02-2010 11:41 PM
Herbs and Roses [email protected] Gardening 13 17-04-2009 05:35 PM
Herbs Plants and Seed Supplies In SEQ Michael Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Ecoaromuz organic herbs and essential oils Lluisa Plant Biology 0 19-03-2003 08:56 PM