Old 13-02-2010, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Simple things that make gardening easier/fun

Wonder if you folks found something that resonates with the subject.

I had trouble for many years ( Don't ask ) with wheelbarrow tires going
flat due to cold weather. I finally found this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H9NVCW/ref=wms_ohs_product

And now I can wonder if I should purcase a snow rake for my roof.
Always some thing.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 13-02-2010, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

Wonder if you folks found something that resonates with the subject.

I had trouble for many years ( Don't ask ) with wheelbarrow tires going
flat due to cold weather. I finally found this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H9NVCW/ref=wms_ohs_product

And now I can wonder if I should purcase a snow rake for my roof.
Always some thing.

Bill

Almost a new topic but now just a tickle.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...=Qyh3S4u-NYub8
Aan-bipCg&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0C AYQBSgA&q=night+soi
l&spell=1

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 14-02-2010, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

Wonder if you folks found something that resonates with the subject.

I had trouble for many years ( Don't ask ) with wheelbarrow tires going
flat due to cold weather. I finally found this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H9NVCW/ref=wms_ohs_product

And now I can wonder if I should purcase a snow rake for my roof.

Is this some kid of fashion statement? What's a snow rake supposed to do
up there? If you're going to take it up there, be sure to attach a
brightly colored rope to your door knob, and tie the other end around
your waist, so that anyone who is concerned by your absence will be able
to find you;O)

Snow? That's that white cottony kind of stuff we put on our Christmas
tree, isn't it? (Wildbilly, N. California)
Always some thing.

Bill

Almost a new topic but now just a tickle.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...=Qyh3S4u-NYub8
Aan-bipCg&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0C AYQBSgA&q=night+soi
l&spell=1

Knightsoil would be ever so much classier.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...ting_activists
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines
Old 14-02-2010, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/13/2010 8:38 PM, Wildbilly wrote:
And now I can wonder if I should purcase a snow rake for my roof.
Is this some kid of fashion statement? What's a snow rake supposed to do
up there? If you're going to take it up there, be sure to attach a
brightly colored rope to your door knob, and tie the other end around
your waist, so that anyone who is concerned by your absence will be able
to find you;O)

Snow? That's that white cottony kind of stuff we put on our Christmas
tree, isn't it? (Wildbilly, N. California)

My roof is calving icebergs onto the deck. Unsafe for wife to fill bird
feeder. Where's algore when you need him?
Old 14-02-2010, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank wrote:

My roof is calving icebergs onto the deck. Unsafe for wife to fill bird
feeder.

You need to properly insulate your attic... probably no insulation at
the perimeter.

Old 14-02-2010, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/14/2010 1:47 PM, brooklyn1 wrote:
Frank wrote:

My roof is calving icebergs onto the deck. Unsafe for wife to fill bird
feeder.

You need to properly insulate your attic... probably no insulation at
the perimeter.

No it has something to do with the downspouts being frozen and snow
melting and refreezing on the roof.
Old 14-02-2010, 04:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

Many times you will do more harm to the shingles on your roof by trying
to remove the snow than just leaving it there. My neighbor removed the
snow from his roof a couple of years ago to find his roof leaked come
spring which involved a roof repair. It may be a different story if you
have a weak roof with three feet of snow on it. Then you better get it
off and fast. A roof repair come spring is better than no roof at
all.........LOL

Rich

Old 14-02-2010, 12:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 23:32:12 -0500, (EVP MAN)
wrote:

Many times you will do more harm to the shingles on your roof by trying
to remove the snow than just leaving it there. My neighbor removed the
snow from his roof a couple of years ago to find his roof leaked come
spring which involved a roof repair. It may be a different story if you
have a weak roof with three feet of snow on it. Then you better get it
off and fast. A roof repair come spring is better than no roof at
all.........LOL

Rich

I have my wheelbarrow some 25 years, has an ordinary tube type tire.
Only once like ten years ago I needed to replace the tube, dry rot,
cost $4, done in under an hour. I own one wheelbarrow, my finish
mower has four tube type tires, I have two garden wagons (another 8
tube type tires, and a large Agrifab dump cart, 2 more tube tires.
That makes a total of 15 wheels. I've found that keeping the valve
stems capped is important. Very occasionally a stem valve leaks, from
seal rot and/or dirt under the seal... new valves/caps are cheap and
install in under a minute. Keeping the wheel bearings properly lubed
is very important, if your wheel has no grease zirks they are easy to
install, only high pressure grease works, oil does more harm than
good. Keep tires properly inflated, a $10 hand operated bicycle tire
pump and a $4 tire air guage does the job. Those solid wheels are
mounted on two piece (glued together) plastic rims, eventually they
will separate.... one of my carts came with plastic rims, they were
recalled. Those solid wheels cost like $40 each... 15 of them would
be a $600 investment for me... and they are one size fits all, not
properly configured for each implement. BTW, one can buy a whole new
quality homeowner/gardener size wheelbarrow for like $40... nobody
needs/wants a contractors wheelbarrow for gardening:
http://tinyurl.com/yhcofc8

http://www.lowes.com/pd_135144-302-S...tt=wheelbarrow
&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=wheelbarrow$y=12$x=23
Old 14-02-2010, 07:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
Wonder if you folks found something that resonates with the subject.

I had trouble for many years ( Don't ask ) with wheelbarrow tires going
flat due to cold weather.

About 35 years ago, when we were both young and gorgeous but more
impoverished than we are now, we bought a cheap wheelbarrow that ahd a solid
wheel. We still own that wheelbarrow and have never owned another one.

It never occurred to us that wheel barrow tyres went flat until a friend of
ours was whinging about how often her tyre was flat and how often she was
unable to use the wheelbarrow - a novel concept to us since our barrow has
always been available to use.

Last year I wanted to buy a wheelbarrow for the son-in-law so went looking
for a wheelbarrow with a solid tyre - no such thing could be found in any
nursery or harware shop or in any of the catalogues in these places.

Old 14-02-2010, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:52:28 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from "FarmI" ask@itshall be given contains these words:

[...]

Builders merchants (real ones, not DIY sheds) sell much more robust ones.

Janet

Contractor wheelbarrows are much too heavy and cumbersome for
gardening and under load don't roll easily over earth (tradesmen
typically lay down heavy wooden planks for wheelbarrow paths) so
they're virtually useless in and about a garden. For moving bulky and
light weight items (tools, mulch, etc.) that a typical gardener would
a lightweight wheelbarrow or a four wheeled garden cart is far more
suitable. Contractor wheelbarrows are even too heavy for most folks
when empty. For gardening a 4 cu ft barrow is plenty big enough and
one with a plastic tray is even better, easier to clean and no rust.
Important safety hint; never leave a wheelbarrow unattended with small
children about, wheelbarrows by nature are very unstrable, even an
empty one can crush a child, let alone one filled with earth. And
never EVER leave any wheelbarrow standing on it's wheel and front lip,
it can tip, trap a small child, pet, wild animal. A weelbarrow is not
a toy, not something to permit children to play with... there are
child's wheelbarrows at toys r us.

Old 15-02-2010, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

A whole lot of opinion stated as fact. What nonsense!

Who on earth buys a wheelbarrow for carrying a few garden tools. They are for
dirt, sand, cement, firewood, rocks, cinderblocks, etc. all of which are hauled
better in a good heavy duty wheelbarrow. My first wheelbarrow was a cheap
plastic tub unit. It was useless. So floppy, it couldn't carry a load stably.

The baby unit you suggest would take forever to do any real work.

I picked up one on a curb with a free sign that had a solid tire. It really is
nice to have a heavy duty unit that never needs to be refilled before use.

Old 15-02-2010, 11:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

We're talking *gardening* here, not builder contracting. Most home
gardeners can't handle a fully laden contractors wheelbarrow
(certainly the typical female can't - and I'm not being sexist, just
stating fact, most guys can't either), nor do they have a place to
store it. And contractors don't use wheelbarrows to mix small
quantities of cement anymore, they use plastic tubs on the ground,
often at the end of the job they toss em in the dumpster... for larger
jobs they use a cement mixer. And if I have heavy loads to haul,
which I often do, my mommy didn't raise a donkey, I have a garden cart
(actually two) that are easier and safer to pull by hand but I
typically I haul them with a garden tractor... when I have loads of
dirt, sand, anything heavy and in large quantity I use the bucket on
my tractor. For the typical homeowner a contractor's wheelbarrow is
not only awkward, it's extremely dangerous... for the home gardener
it's a stupid thing to own, it'll rarely if ever get used... you are
the one full of nonsense... in fact by the nonsense you spewed I don't
believe you own any wheelbarrow.

Old 15-02-2010, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from brooklyn1 contains these words:

wrote:

Who on earth buys a wheelbarrow for carrying a few garden tools. They
are for
dirt, sand, cement, firewood, rocks, cinderblocks, etc. all of which
are hauled
better in a good heavy duty wheelbarrow.

We're talking *gardening* here, not builder contracting.

Many gardeners here make their own paths, walls, ponds, fences,
structures.

Most home
gardeners can't handle a fully laden contractors wheelbarrow
(certainly the typical female can't

I can ( 5 ft 2) and I know many professional gardeners who do.

nor do they have a place to store it.

You're getting desperate now. Most keen gardeners have a shed, or
even, a garage, with plenty of space for a wheelbarrow.

And contractors don't use wheelbarrows to mix small
quantities of cement anymore, they use plastic tubs on the ground,
often at the end of the job they toss em in the dumpster... for larger
jobs they use a cement mixer.

LOL, I know many gardeners who own or rent a cement mixer. They use
the barrow to move the cement they made in the mixer.

And if I have heavy loads to haul,
which I often do, my mommy didn't raise a donkey

How does she feel about the ass?

anything heavy and in large quantity I use the bucket on
my tractor.

Gardeners who have no room to store a wheelbarrow (according to you)
are even less likely to own a tractor.

Janet

I just love a good gardening discussion with its' information, snappy
banter, invectives, biting, and gouging. But first, I really need some
popcorn. Good show guys ;O)

Old 15-02-2010, 12:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:45:18 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from "Bob F" contains these words:

wrote:

Builders merchants (real ones, not DIY sheds) sell much more
robust ones.

Janet

Contractor wheelbarrows are much too heavy and cumbersome for
gardening and under load don't roll easily over earth (tradesmen
typically lay down heavy wooden planks for wheelbarrow paths)

That's exactly what we do. Hardly rocket science, is it?

Our kind of gardening often involves moving heavy building materials.
Contractor barrows are far better ergonomically designed so even with
a heavy load they can be easier to use than a lightweight plastic one
overflowing with Sheldon's manure.

You must be built like Powerful Katrinka. LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLrG_1g2Cys

Old 16-02-2010, 11:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Builders merchants (real ones, not DIY sheds) sell much more
robust ones.

Janet

Contractor wheelbarrows are much too heavy and cumbersome for
gardening and under load don't roll easily over earth (tradesmen
typically lay down heavy wooden planks for wheelbarrow paths)

That's exactly what we do. Hardly rocket science, is it?

Our kind of gardening often involves moving heavy building materials.
Contractor barrows are far better ergonomically designed so even with
a heavy load they can be easier to use than a lightweight plastic one
overflowing with Sheldon's manure.

For those sorts of jobs, I've found that the sort of trolley that
removalists use works for me. I have trouble balancing a wheel barrow laden
with a lot of heavy materials but the 2 wheels of the removalists type
trolley seem to be better for me and mean that I can manage and manage well.
Luckily it's usually bone dry and hard ground here as I know I couldn't use
it in soft ground.