Old 10-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Grub's Avatar
Registered User

Default Resurrecting a hedge trimmer

I've accidentally cut through the power cord of my mum's Black and Decker hedge trimmer thingy and just wondered if anyone knows if its possible to replace the lead or do I have to go and buy a new trimmer?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Registered User

Smile

Grub;879749]I've accidentally cut through the power cord of my mum's Black and Decker hedge trimmer thingy and just wondered if anyone knows if its possible to replace the lead or do I have to go and buy a new trimmer?

where is the cut? also where are u located?
i do have one place u might look though. as well u might try contacting the
black and decker company or going through home depot or the place the
trimmer was bought to see if they can get the part for u.
good luck . cyaaaaaaaa, sockiescat .
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/bla...4167_9523.html
Old 11-03-2010, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Grub wrote:
I've accidentally cut through the power cord of my mum's Black and
Decker hedge trimmer thingy and just wondered if anyone knows if its
possible to replace the lead or do I have to go and buy a new trimmer?

Yes it is possible. The simplest way would be to put a plug on the cut end.
Since you have to ask it would be wise to not try it yourself but take it to
an electrician. Get your mum to take it and smile sweetly at the sparky.

David

Old 11-03-2010, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Grub wrote:

I've accidentally cut through the power cord of my mum's Black and
Decker hedge trimmer thingy and just wondered if anyone knows if its
possible to replace the lead or do I have to go and buy a new trimmer?

Replacement plug, and an extension cord.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Grub's Avatar
Registered User

Unfortunately the cut is right near the end of the cord towards the handle of the trimmer/ I'll try contacting B&D but I guess they will just tell me to buy a new trimmer!!

Old 11-03-2010, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Grub writes:

Unfortunately the cut is right near the end of the cord towards the
handle of the trimmer/ I'll try contacting B&D but I guess they will
just tell me to buy a new trimmer!!

No they wont.

They prefer to do repairs themselves but they'll sell you parts too.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:15:41 -0500, Grub
wrote:

Unfortunately the cut is right near the end of the cord towards the
handle of the trimmer/ I'll try contacting B&D but I guess they will
just tell me to buy a new trimmer!!

Hmm, then the cord wasn't cut by that trimmer.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Unfortunately the cut is right near the end of the cord towards the
handle of the trimmer/ I'll try contacting B&D but I guess they will
just tell me to buy a new trimmer!!

Hmm, then the cord wasn't cut by that trimmer.

For the cost of repairs. Corded trimmers are cheap.
Get a new one. Get a cordless, battery or gas.

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/10/2010 2:07 PM, Grub wrote:
I've accidentally cut through the power cord of my mum's Black and
Decker hedge trimmer thingy and just wondered if anyone knows if its
possible to replace the lead or do I have to go and buy a new trimmer?

Don't know about UK trimmers but I have 2 in US. One has no cord and
you plug into it. Other has about 8 inch cord which would be impossible
to cut with trimmer. I've cut extension cords a couple of times and its
not brain surgery to put on a new plug. Check with your local hardware
store.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

wrote:

Unfortunately the cut is right near the end of the cord towards the
handle of the trimmer/ I'll try contacting B&D but I guess they will
just tell me to buy a new trimmer!!

Hmm, then the cord wasn't cut by that trimmer.

For the cost of repairs. Corded trimmers are cheap.
Get a new one. Get a cordless, battery or gas.

Enjoy Life... Dan

Battery powered trimmers are good for cutting twigs and when the battery
dies, the replacement is about what you paid for the trimmer in the
first place.

Gas has the power, and expensive to repair, but unless you are landed
gentry, you will just ****-off the neighbors when you fire it up.

For home use, get a corded trimmer.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

wrote:

Unfortunately the cut is right near the end of the cord towards the
handle of the trimmer/ I'll try contacting B&D but I guess they will
just tell me to buy a new trimmer!!

Hmm, then the cord wasn't cut by that trimmer.

For the cost of repairs. Corded trimmers are cheap.
Get a new one. Get a cordless, battery or gas.

Enjoy Life... Dan

Battery powered trimmers are good for cutting twigs and when the battery
dies, the replacement is about what you paid for the trimmer in the
first place.

Gas has the power, and expensive to repair, but unless you are landed
gentry, you will just ****-off the neighbors when you fire it up.

For home use, get a corded trimmer.

I will agree with your assessment on the trimmers.
I do have land. The gentry label is questionable

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 13-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Grub's Avatar
Registered User

I managed to get one of those devices that allow two ends of a wire to be joined to together but unfortunately it still doesn't work. Im guessing the cutter's engine has blown(?)