Old 17-03-2010, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default MARKET GARDENERS

Does anyone know newsgroups for market gardeners?

--
Rita Foust
Garland, TX

Old 17-03-2010, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 22:00:33 -0500, "Garland Grower"
wrote:

Does anyone know newsgroups for market gardeners?

No.

--
Rita Foust
Garland, TX
Zone 7b-8a
Farmer Jones Eco-Friendly Plants & Produce
http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M10383

Your transparent advertising ploy shall be forgiven, upon my part, on
account of your venture. Best of luck to you. And keep on keepin'
on. We are a 'growing' force.

Charlie Underlog... the Fool, the Slimer, the Zealot, The Organic
Fanatic, the Paranoid... and numerous other derogatory names pasted
upon me in this group.

Fool? Well, hey, but Organic Zealot? I've known you for awhile, Charlie,
and you seem normal too me.

Old 30-03-2010, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

I honestly was looking for help with that one....
There are no groups with the word market or truck farm or anything like
that.
I put my logo on the bottom of all replies because I was told by a member of
the preserving group that it would be okay if I did not blatantly try to
sell.
I'm not that witty or clever to try to disguise it in that way.
But a big thanks for the good natured forgiveness, even though you thought I
was doing something I was not. LOL See that's why it's never wise to
assume : )
I need to go to a lot of classes, seminars, visit other gardens and such to
gain knowledge, but there never seems to be time and certainly not now with
the season gearing
up. I'd love to go to Boggy Creek Farm in Austin, they've been doing
Organics for 19 years
and you can tour their farm any time at all. From their website they seem
to know the ins
and outs of the business big time.
Peace, Namaste and all that good stuff.

Old 30-03-2010, 06:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Does anyone know newsgroups for market gardeners?

No.

--
Rita Foust
Garland, TX
Zone 7b-8a
Farmer Jones Eco-Friendly Plants & Produce
http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M10383

Your transparent advertising ploy shall be forgiven, upon my part, on
account of your venture. Best of luck to you. And keep on keepin'
on. We are a 'growing' force.

Charlie Underlog... the Fool, the Slimer, the Zealot, The Organic
Fanatic, the Paranoid... and numerous other derogatory names pasted
upon me in this group.

I think that you'll find that this group would recommend
http://www.polyfacefarms.com/ and Joel Salatin

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan

http://www.amazon.com/Omnivores-Dile...ls/dp/01430385
83/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815576&sr=1-1
p. 126

"Grass," so understood, is the foundation of the intricate food chain
Salatin has assembled at Polyface, where a half dozen different animal
species are raised together in an intensive rotational dance on the
theme of symbiosis. Salatin is the choreographer and the grasses are his
verdurous stage; the dance has made Polyface one of the most productive
and influential alternative farms in America.

Though it was only the third week of June, the pasture beneath me had
already seen several rotational turns. Before being cut earlier in the
week for the hay that would feed the farm's animals through the winter,
it had been grazed twice by beef cattle, which after each day-long stay
had been succeeded by several hundred laying hens. They'd arrived
by Eggmobile, a ramshackle portable henhouse designed and built by
Salatin. Why chickens? "Because that's how it works in nature," Salatin
explained. "Birds follow and clean up after herbivores." And so during
their turn in the pasture, the hens had performed several ecological
services for the cattle as well as the grass: They'd picked the tasty
grubs and fly larvae out of the cowpats, in the process spreading the
manure and eliminating parasites. (This is what Joel has in mind when he
says the animals do the work around here; the hens are his "sanitation
crew," the reason his cattle have no need of chemical parasiticides.)
And while they were at it, nibbling on the short cattle-clipped grasses
they like best, the chickens applied a few thousand pounds of nitrogen
to the
pasture-and produced several thousand uncommonly rich and tasty eggs.
After a few week's rest, the pasture will be grazed again, each steer
turning these lush grasses into beef at the rate of two or three pounds
a day.

By the end of the season Salatin's grasses will have been transformed by
his animals into some 40,000 pounds of beef, 30,000 pounds of pork,
10,000 broilers, 1,200 turkeys, 1,000 rabbits, and 35,000 dozen eggs.
This is an astounding cornucopia of food to draw from a hundred acres of
pasture, yet what is perhaps still more astonishing is the fact
that this pasture will be in no way diminished by the process-in fact,
it will be the better for it, lusher, more fertile, even springier
underfoot (this thanks to the increased earthworm traffic). Salatin's
audacious bet is that feeding ourselves from nature need not be a
zero-sum proposition, one in which if there is more for us at the end of
the season
then there must be less for nature-less topsoil, less fertility, less
life. He's betting, in other words, on a very different proposition, one
that looks an awful lot like the proverbially unattainable free lunch.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks, I'll check em out. Beef and Meat is not my big thing, but we do
have two pigs and chickens. We bought the pigs to get the weeds out of the
plots and they seem to be doing a good job so far.

--
Rita Foust
Garland, TX
Zone 7b-8a
Farmer Jones Eco-Friendly Plants & Produce
http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M10383