Old 12-04-2010, 11:58 PM
Registered User

Default Gardening Software

I have a garden about 50’ x 30’. It’s pretty mature, (probably 15 years old) and I’d like to make some changes. I’ve also got lots of plants that I’d like to catalogue.

Although I’ve been a computer user for a long time, I’ve never tried any gardening software that would not only enable me to catalogue my garden through text, but also photos, and also help me in trying to imagine what any changes would look like.

Has anyone got any advice on what’s the most appropriate gardening software package out there for me bearing in mind that my garden is obviously pretty small?

Thanks
Old 13-04-2010, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
bodger99 wrote:

I have a garden about 50’ x 30’. It’s pretty mature, (probably 15 years
old) and I’d like to make some changes. I’ve also got lots of plants
that I’d like to catalogue.

Although I’ve been a computer user for a long time, I’ve never tried any
gardening software that would not only enable me to catalogue my garden
through text, but also photos, and also help me in trying to imagine
what any changes would look like.

Has anyone got any advice on what’s the most appropriate gardening
software package out there for me bearing in mind that my garden is
obviously pretty small?

Thanks

Excel, Access, or FileMaker
--
- Billy
Old 14-04-2010, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
bodger99 wrote:

I have a garden about 50’ x 30’. It’s pretty mature, (probably 15 years
old) and I’d like to make some changes. I’ve also got lots of plants
that I’d like to catalogue.

Although I’ve been a computer user for a long time, I’ve never tried any
gardening software that would not only enable me to catalogue my garden
through text, but also photos, and also help me in trying to imagine
what any changes would look like.

Has anyone got any advice on what’s the most appropriate gardening
software package out there for me bearing in mind that my garden is
obviously pretty small?

Thanks

Excel, Access, or FileMaker

Spreadsheets only for as I know.
For the Mac: FileMaker, Bento or iWorks'09 Numbers.

If you find any specialized software for "Garden Planning" let us know.
I do believe there is a web only, monthly cost, vegetable garden planner
out there. That one is not for me.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 14-04-2010, 11:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 18:58:11 -0400, bodger99
wrote:

I have a garden about 50’ x 30’. It’s pretty mature, (probably 15 years
old) and I’d like to make some changes. I’ve also got lots of plants
that I’d like to catalogue.

Although I’ve been a computer user for a long time, I’ve never tried any
gardening software that would not only enable me to catalogue my garden
through text, but also photos, and also help me in trying to imagine
what any changes would look like.

Has anyone got any advice on what’s the most appropriate gardening
software package out there for me bearing in mind that my garden is
obviously pretty small?

Thanks

A diary is about the most important "accounting" to be done with
gardening. I prefer a small calendar planner, where I can note
planting, fertilizing, harvest dates, insect control, seed ordering,
etc. I've tried some "gardening software," found most not very good
at all. Also, I'm a long-time woodworker and found most woodworking
software more interesting than useful, unless perhaps you are
designing furniture.
Old 14-04-2010, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
bodger99 wrote:

[...]

I always liked Apple Works or Claris Works databases because they were
relatively easy to use. I learned Access, once upon a time, but I would
be hard pressed to use it now.
Excel is pretty straight forward and you can set-up columns as to what,
when & where you bought your seeds, and how much, germination & potting
times, and make notes about potting soils, and make notations about any
special practices that you may be using.
--
- Billy

Old 14-04-2010, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
bodger99 wrote:

[...]

DataBases and SpreadSheets are one big blur. I am hard pressed to tell
what the differences are now between them. Both can create charts,
store, sort, search for numbers, photos, documents, side notes and much
more. The speed of these systems doesn't seem to matter if it's file
system is relative or sequential. iWorks is not your daddies Apple Works.

Old 14-04-2010, 11:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
bodger99 wrote:

[...]

Once upon a time JMP would give a chance to compare numerical and
Nominal in graphs. I just can't do $800 when kids are getting married.
I may buy an old mac with 9.0 just for the software I have.

http://www.jmp.com/

Was wonderful to make xyz movies.

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA