Old 21-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Registered User

Default Plants for Trellis

Hello everyone,

I've just joined and I'm hoping that someone out there will be able to help us.

I've recently erected a sturdy trellis above the dividing wall between my neighbours and our rear yards. I am desperate to find something to grow up and along the trellis which will:

1) Grow very quickly
2) Provide dense coverage all year round (we don't get on with our neighbours I'm afriad)
3) Still provide colour and ideally something that flowers
4) Will grow in containers (my back yard is concreted)

Does anyone have any ideas? If so, I'd really appreciate it if you'd share them. I have attached a picture.

I've never grown anything so I'm only learning. I've got as far as ivy and clematis (montana, armandii) but although I read that these can grow big, I don't know how fast they grow. I don't care about maintenance, we just want to screen our yard from next door as soon as possible.

Thank you
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Plants for Trellis-21042010626.jpg
Old 21-04-2010, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Beags wrote:
[...]

It would help if you told us where you are and what the climate is.

David
Old 21-04-2010, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Beags wrote:
[...]

So many of them (Brit posters) do it, that I suspect they don't know
that they are talking to the colonies as well.
--
- Billy
Old 22-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Registered User

Hello,

Yes, sorry, I clearly missed a trick here. Yes, we do live in the UK - England. We live in Yorkshire and the yard is south east facing. Because of the houses around it gets the sun from morning through till mid afternoon.

Thank you
Chris
Old 23-04-2010, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

Okay, that's adequate sunlight. And you're in a warm temperate zone.

You could do climbing roses, although those will want deeper roots
than you can provide in a typical container. Any chance of punching
holes in the cement slab of the yard?

For year round screening, a climbing ivy is the way to go. You don't
have too much sun for ivy. Climbing ivy in my yard hides on the shady
side of its supports, but in your yard ivy should like your side of
the trellis.

Your climate is mild enough you could also do climbing azaleas. They
have fairly shallow roots. You could plant in shallow stock watering
tanks. Azaleas are more or less evergreen, so would provide some
screening in winter.

Best bet, though, would be to visit some public gardens in your area
to look at vines growing there.

Stock tanks ... in the US, a common size is 1 foot tall, 2 feet wide,
and 4 or 6 feet long, with round ends. They are wonderful for use as
planters. Also common is 2 feet tall and wide, and many more lengths:
their capacity runs from 70 to 380 gallons, weight 35 to 120 pounds.

Una

Old 26-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beags View Post
Hello,

Yes, sorry, I clearly missed a trick here. Yes, we do live in the UK - England. We live in Yorkshire and the yard is south east facing. Because of the houses around it gets the sun from morning through till mid afternoon.

Thank you
Chris
Hi chris i live further north than yourself edinburgh and i have star jasmine which covers well and smells great but there are lots of plants that would work well honeysuckle,or clematis montana. both can be vigorous for quick growth hope this helps.