Old 02-01-2006, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RzB

Default Trellis killing plants...

NB. I'm we are not great gardeners!
Please be gentle with us! Have googled
but have been unable to find an answer...

We erected some trellis panels last
year and every thing that touched
them wilted and turned black. We
had put some clematis, in pots,
largish ones at the bottom and they
started to grow quite nicely, up the
bamboo in the pots.

When they started to climb the trellis,
the leaves wilted and turned black.
Interestingly we had (very artistically:-)
intertwined some small branches, that
we had from a pruning exercise, into
the trellis. The leaves of the clematis
on the branches were just fine. This is
what alerted us to the problem.

Also adjacent to the new trellis we
have a very large, healthy clematis.
When it started to climb the trellis we
got the same effect. Withering leaves etc...

Is this perhaps something to do with
the treatment on the trellis? We bought
them probably about 3/4 years ago,
already treated. Have I got to just chop 'em
up for firewood? Or is there something
I don't know about clematis and trellis?

Many thanks,
Roy

Old 02-01-2006, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RzB

"RzB" wrote in message

NB. I'm we are not great gardeners!

Hmm "I'm we..." ??? -

looks like gardens are not the only
thing I'm not great at!!!!

Roy

Old 02-01-2006, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"RzB" wrote (snip))

[...]

I've not heard of such a reaction on a trellis/fence that old.
Is this trellis between you and a neighbour?
Does your neighbour paint his side with something or spray something around
his side?
Do you get strong/cold wind through the trellis?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 02-01-2006, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RzB

Bob - Many thanks for your help.

See inline comments...

Thanks,
Roy

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"RzB" wrote (snip))

We erected some trellis panels last

snip

I don't know about clematis and trellis?

I've not heard of such a reaction on a trellis/fence that old.

My wife say I was wrong - she thinks it
is about 6/7 years. We have some other
trellis panels that were purchased at about
the same time and have been errected for
much longer. We have never had much luck
growing anything up them either. Roses &
honeysuckle have never thrived on them and
we never knew why. We are beginning to
think it's the same problem we are seeing
with the clematis, and not down to our
inept gardening skills (My wife say
"speak for yourself" :-)

Is this trellis between you and a neighbour?

No - We have a largish patio and it is being
used to divide off a BBQ eating area. It's two
6ft panels long and sort of sticks out at right
angles from the house. Between the house
and the first trellis post/panel is the large,
healthy clematis.

Does your neighbour paint his side with something or spray something
around his side?

No - and we don't spray any sort of week killers..

Do you get strong/cold wind through the trellis?

Well, this house wall is north-west facing, but is
very sheltered. We are between Winchester and
Southampton... Tropical all year round :-)

Old 02-01-2006, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Sacha wrote:

I think you said that you're growing the clematis in pots with bamboos,
didn't you? Could this be the problem? Clematis like a cool root run so
they may be getting too hot and they like to be kept pretty damp - though
not water logged - at the roots. Perhaps they have a conflict of
nutritional interests with the bamboos, too?

He's got bamboo canes, not bamboo plants with them! At least that's
what I understood.

Sounds so strange - I can't think of anything beside the possibility
that the clematis starts fine because their roots are still in the pot
compost around the root ball when he plant them and as soon as the
roots get outside the compost and hit whatever soil there is they get
sick. Water logged came to mind too.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

RzB wrote:

Withering leaves etc...

Can you describe a bit more what your leaves look like?! And when does
this happen? Do you have something else growing around/close to them?

Old 03-01-2006, 01:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sacha wrote:

Perhaps they have a conflict of
nutritional interests with the bamboos, too?

He's got bamboo canes, not bamboo plants with them! At least that's
what I understood.

What else do you expect bamboo plants to produce? Daffodils perhaps?

Old 03-01-2006, 01:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Rupert" wrote in message

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sacha wrote:

Perhaps they have a conflict of
nutritional interests with the bamboos, too?

He's got bamboo canes, not bamboo plants with them! At least that's
what I understood.

What else do you expect bamboo plants to produce? Daffodils perhaps?

Missed the ;-)

Old 03-01-2006, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 3/1/06 1:10, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sacha wrote:

Perhaps they have a conflict of
nutritional interests with the bamboos, too?

He's got bamboo canes, not bamboo plants with them! At least that's
what I understood.

What else do you expect bamboo plants to produce? Daffodils perhaps?

What is puzzling is that other plants appear not to be affected. I'm not
clear what the OP means about those plants though, obtained from 'prunings'
IIRC. Are they planted in the ground or in pots? Is it possible that the
badly affected plants are just a bad batch or that there is something in the
compost they're planted in, or in the feeding/watering arrangements? Why
should one lot of plants die on contact with the trellis and another lot not
do so. And if the trellis is several years old, wouldn't any residual
nasties in it have been washed out by rain or evaporated by sunshine?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-01-2006, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 3/1/06 1:10, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sacha wrote:

[...]

It's a mystery to me also. I think the pruning's are just twiggy bits that
he has stuck on the trellis.
The bits of the clematis that grab hold of the twiggy bits seem OK.
I have had a situation where a clematis stubbornly refused to grab hold of a
trellis (ca 1") but attached itself to the shafts of the nails supporting
the trellis.
Still a mystery--too many variables

Old 03-01-2006, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 3/1/06 11:20, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

snip
It's a mystery to me also. I think the pruning's are just twiggy bits that
he has stuck on the trellis.
The bits of the clematis that grab hold of the twiggy bits seem OK.
I have had a situation where a clematis stubbornly refused to grab hold of a
trellis (ca 1") but attached itself to the shafts of the nails supporting
the trellis.
Still a mystery--too many variables

IME, clematis does better on clematis netting - that plastic coated, square
or diamond shaped stuff. It's easier for the tendrils to get round that
than round the broader wood of trellis but that still wouldn't account for
the sudden deaths of these clematis.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-01-2006, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 3/1/06 11:20, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

snip
[...]

He says that the bits that grab the twiggy bits are fine and the tendrils
that go for the trellis die.
In the absence of any other info I guess that unsupported tender shoots
wafting around against a rough wood surface will die back (perhaps)
That's the best I can do at the moment

Old 03-01-2006, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rupert wrote:
He's got bamboo canes, not bamboo plants with them! At least that's
what I understood.

What else do you expect bamboo plants to produce? Daffodils perhaps?

CANES Rupert, not plants, CANES - dead wood, sticks, support ...

Old 03-01-2006, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RzB

"Rupert" wrote in message

-------- snip

He says that the bits that grab the twiggy bits are fine and the tendrils
that go for the trellis die.

Yes - that's correct - absolutly right.

In the absence of any other info I guess that unsupported tender shoots
wafting around against a rough wood surface will die back (perhaps)
That's the best I can do at the moment

Hmm - but the twiggy bit were roughish too.

Thanks thanks to all for their help.
Roy

Good trellis plants Paul M. Cook Gardening 28 21-08-2010 02:27 AM
Plants for Trellis Beags Gardening 5 26-04-2010 07:39 AM
Plants for Trellis - Please help us - thank you. Beags Garden Photos 0 21-04-2010 08:28 PM
What plants can I grow on a trellis? [email protected] United Kingdom 9 29-01-2008 12:53 PM
Good plants for a trellis? slugbug Australia 5 14-03-2006 12:03 AM