Old 20-05-2010, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Clover Control

I have a bad clover problem here in the DC area. As much as I hate to use
chemicals, I may have to. We are planning to take a 3 week vacation
starting at the beginning of August.

Would I do damage to my grass if I sprayed a weedkiller on right before we
left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?

Old 21-05-2010, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Frank McElrath" wrote:

I have a bad clover problem here in the DC area. As much as I hate to use
chemicals, I may have to. We are planning to take a 3 week vacation
starting at the beginning of August.

Would I do damage to my grass if I sprayed a weedkiller on right before we
left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?

Nah not a problem I'd try to get some 3/4 dca to kill kill kill.

Moron

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 21-05-2010, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?

Nah not a problem I'd try to get some 3/4 dca to kill kill kill.

Moron

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

How long have you been afflicted with a personality disorder?

Old 21-05-2010, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Frank McElrath" wrote:

left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?

Nah not a problem I'd try to get some 3/4 dca to kill kill kill.

Moron

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

How long have you been afflicted with a personality disorder?

All my life, how long have you been using chemicals in such an asinine
manner?

Old 21-05-2010, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

How long have you been afflicted with a personality disorder?

All my life, how long have you been using chemicals in such an asinine
manner?

--

Never. That's why I am asking, you inbred cretin.

Old 21-05-2010, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Frank McElrath wrote:
I have a bad clover problem here in the DC area. As much as I hate
to use chemicals, I may have to. We are planning to take a 3 week
vacation starting at the beginning of August.

Would I do damage to my grass if I sprayed a weedkiller on right
before we left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?

What is wrong with clover? What catastrophe would ensue if you had clover
in your lawn?

David

Old 21-05-2010, 04:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Frank McElrath wrote:
I have a bad clover problem here in the DC area. As much as I hate
to use chemicals, I may have to. We are planning to take a 3 week
vacation starting at the beginning of August.

Would I do damage to my grass if I sprayed a weedkiller on right
before we left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?

What is wrong with clover? What catastrophe would ensue if you had
clover in your lawn?

My understanding is that a clover lawn seldom needs mowing, requires
less water and fertilizer, and is naturally nearly weed free when
established.

http://landscaping.about.com/cs/lawn...er_lawns_3.htm

So much for the pluses, all of this is balanced by being able to be
killed by broad leaf plant poisons. The beauty of grass lawns is a
marketing invention of the chemical companies supplying broad leaf
toxins. Suburbia has largely bought into this.

Jeff

David

Old 27-05-2010, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in
:

Frank McElrath wrote:
I have a bad clover problem here in the DC area. As much as I
hate to use chemicals, I may have to. We are planning to take
a 3 week vacation starting at the beginning of August.

Would I do damage to my grass if I sprayed a weedkiller on
right before we left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?

What is wrong with clover? What catastrophe would ensue if you
had clover in your lawn?

well, it's low growing so you don't have to mow as often, it has
flowers that the bees really love, and it doesn't brown out too badly
if it's dry & a tiny bag (half pound) of seed covers 7000 square
foot. horrible stuff, clover...
lee
Old 27-05-2010, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
enigma wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in
:

Frank McElrath wrote:
I have a bad clover problem here in the DC area. As much as I
hate to use chemicals, I may have to. We are planning to take
a 3 week vacation starting at the beginning of August.

Would I do damage to my grass if I sprayed a weedkiller on
right before we left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?

What is wrong with clover? What catastrophe would ensue if you
had clover in your lawn?

well, it's low growing so you don't have to mow as often, it has
flowers that the bees really love, and it doesn't brown out too badly
if it's dry & a tiny bag (half pound) of seed covers 7000 square
foot. horrible stuff, clover...
lee

Yes but clover may increase the drag on a golf ball which may be of
import somewhere.
Some weird folks eat it. Whew!!!
http://www.prodigalgardens.info/red%20clover%20recipes.htm

Old 29-05-2010, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
enigma wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in
:

Frank McElrath wrote:
I have a bad clover problem here in the DC area. As much as I
hate to use chemicals, I may have to. We are planning to take
a 3 week vacation starting at the beginning of August.

Would I do damage to my grass if I sprayed a weedkiller on
right before we left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?

What is wrong with clover? What catastrophe would ensue if you
had clover in your lawn?

well, it's low growing so you don't have to mow as often, it has
flowers that the bees really love, and it doesn't brown out too badly
if it's dry & a tiny bag (half pound) of seed covers 7000 square
foot. horrible stuff, clover...
lee

Yes but clover may increase the drag on a golf ball which may be of
import somewhere.

And those bees sting kids bare feet.

Old 29-05-2010, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bob F wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
enigma wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in
:

Frank McElrath wrote:
I have a bad clover problem here in the DC area. As much as I
hate to use chemicals, I may have to. We are planning to take
a 3 week vacation starting at the beginning of August.

Would I do damage to my grass if I sprayed a weedkiller on
right before we left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?
What is wrong with clover? What catastrophe would ensue if you
had clover in your lawn?
well, it's low growing so you don't have to mow as often, it has
flowers that the bees really love, and it doesn't brown out too badly
if it's dry & a tiny bag (half pound) of seed covers 7000 square
foot. horrible stuff, clover...
lee

Yes but clover may increase the drag on a golf ball which may be of
import somewhere.

And those bees sting kids bare feet.

Got stung that way quite a few times as a kid, but barefoot running onto
chinese chestnuts hurt even worse!
Old 01-06-2010, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bob F" wrote in
:

And those bees sting kids bare feet.

so, look where you walk. i managed to get to 55 walking in bare
feet/playing on clover filled lawns (my dad never bought into the
golf course greens lawn thing in the 50s) without getting stung on
the feet. in fact, the only things that have ever stung me were
yellowjackets & wasps, never honeybees. my 10 year old has never been
stung by anything...
the chemicals that kill broadleaf weeds/clover are a hell of a lot
worse for kiddos in bare feet than bee stings anyway!
lee
Old 27-05-2010, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank McElrath wrote:
I have a bad clover problem here in the DC area. As much as I hate
to use chemicals, I may have to. We are planning to take a 3 week
vacation starting at the beginning of August.

Would I do damage to my grass if I sprayed a weedkiller on right
before we left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?

What is wrong with clover? What catastrophe would ensue if you had clover
in your lawn?

David

The catastrophe is that it spreads to flower beds and crowds out plants
that you want to grow.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 27-05-2010, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote in
et:

What is wrong with clover? What catastrophe would ensue if you
had clover in your lawn?

The catastrophe is that it spreads to flower beds and crowds out
plants that you want to grow.

really? i have lamb's quarter, oxalis, stinging nettle, & a few
other odd weeds in my flower beds, but no clover. i have used clover
as a cover crop & tilled it in in my veggie garden. no clover.
it's not that big an issue.
lee

Old 27-05-2010, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
Frank McElrath wrote:
I have a bad clover problem here in the DC area. As much as I hate
to use chemicals, I may have to. We are planning to take a 3 week
vacation starting at the beginning of August.

Would I do damage to my grass if I sprayed a weedkiller on right
before we left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?

What is wrong with clover? What catastrophe would ensue if you had clover
in your lawn?

David

The catastrophe is that it spreads to flower beds and crowds out plants
that you want to grow.

From my 40 some years experience with clover in lawns, I've never seen
a big problem with it spreading to flower beds. Not that it doesn't,
but it's a lot easier to pull clover out of a mulched flower bed then it
is to pull grass that spread into the same flower bed.

Tony