Old 01-06-2010, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Clover Control

In article ,
Tony wrote:

Bob F wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
enigma wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in
:

Frank McElrath wrote:
I have a bad clover problem here in the DC area. As much as I
hate to use chemicals, I may have to. We are planning to take
a 3 week vacation starting at the beginning of August.

Would I do damage to my grass if I sprayed a weedkiller on
right before we left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?
What is wrong with clover? What catastrophe would ensue if you
had clover in your lawn?
well, it's low growing so you don't have to mow as often, it has
flowers that the bees really love, and it doesn't brown out too badly
if it's dry & a tiny bag (half pound) of seed covers 7000 square
foot. horrible stuff, clover...
lee
Yes but clover may increase the drag on a golf ball which may be of
import somewhere.

And those bees sting kids bare feet.

Got stung that way quite a few times as a kid, but barefoot running onto
chinese chestnuts hurt even worse!

Thistle weed and bare feet hurt even worse than chinese chestnuts

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 5/20/10 3:57 PM, Frank McElrath wrote:
I have a bad clover problem here in the DC area. As much as I hate to use
chemicals, I may have to. We are planning to take a 3 week vacation
starting at the beginning of August.

Would I do damage to my grass if I sprayed a weedkiller on right before we
left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?

Phew! A lot of people are defending clover. But in the present
situation it's a plant growing where is is not wanted. And the present
question is how to be rid of it. Instead of defending clover, advise
McElrath how to remove it without resorting to WMD.

I have two daylilies growing where I don't want them. I don't like the
color of these two. I don't like the fact that they bloom only 2-3
times a year instead of almost constantly like some of my other
daylilies. And I don't like the fact that they are crowded some other
plants that I want to grow in my garden. When I remove AND TRASH these
daylilies, I certainly don't want a herd of daylily defenders trying to
lynch me.

And when McElrath gets rid of his unwanted clover, don't lynch him either.

I gave up on the perfect lawn years ago. The cost, the toxins, the labor.
Fighting nature is a lost cause. Nature will always win in the end. Work
with nature don't fight it. Repeat this over and over, it will save you
"I love clover, clover is beautiful, clover is good". You will feel much
better. If you follow your current path of weed and feed, it will lead
only to despair and misery year after year.

Daylilies!!!! May God have mercy on your soul

Old 02-06-2010, 02:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

[...]

The easy way to get rid of clover is an 18 inch mouldboard plow. roll
the clover under and then lightly disk the surface before planting. The
clover will become humus and help with long-term plant growth.

The hard way is anything less than this. Chemicals work, but can do
damage to other plants in the area. Clover seed is fertile for up to 7
years after it drops on the ground. Most weed killers will not kill the
seed. Roots can go as deep as a foot, depending on the kind of clover,
so a simple roto-tiller will not get rid of the roots of some species.

removing it to 3 or 4 inches and replacing the area with tightly grown
sod can work to stop most clover species. Covering the area with a black
tarp for a period of several months if it is in the sun can help kill
both the clover and the seed, but is not fool proof. The tarp should be
water proof and not allow sunlight through. Remember to cover all the
clover (or grass) and an area at least a foot larger in each direction
if possible. This is best done in the summer. It should kill about
everything under it.

Like grass, clover is a ground cover that has evolved to survive grazing
animals, fires, floods, and various other natural disasters, that having
been said, it is darn hard to get rid of. Best of luck.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Doug Houseman wrote:

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry, but where you find one error, one can expect to find others.

Clear vs. Colored Plastic
Transparent or clear plastic is most effective
for solarization. Black plastic, often used for
mulching, does not heat the soil as well as
clear plastic.
http://vric.ucdavis.edu/pdf/soil_solarization.pdf

Remember to cover all the
clover (or grass) and an area at least a foot larger in each direction
if possible. This is best done in the summer. It should kill about
everything under it.

Like grass, clover is a ground cover that has evolved to survive grazing
animals, fires, floods, and various other natural disasters, that having
been said, it is darn hard to get rid of. Best of luck.

--
- Billy
Old 02-06-2010, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Doug Houseman wrote:

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

[...]

If solarization was the only issue, then clear would be great. but you
are also trying to stop germination and growth. In 40+ years of organic
growing, I have found black plastic gets rid of stuff better than clear
or colored. For heating the soil in the spring I use clear and use clear
for quick germination of seeds in the spring as well up north here. But
if I want to clear an area, black is my choice.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dan L." wrote in
:

Thistle weed and bare feet hurt even worse than chinese
chestnuts

i have American chestnuts & those are a bear on bare feet! also have
thistle & stinging nettle. just look where you're going
lee

Old 03-06-2010, 04:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Doug Houseman wrote:

In article ,