Old 27-05-2010, 07:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Clover Control

In article ,
enigma wrote:

"Frank McElrath" wrote in
:

I have a bad clover problem here in the DC area. As much as I
hate to use chemicals, I may have to. We are planning to take a
3 week vacation starting at the beginning of August.

why do you consider clover a "problem"? when i reseed, i use white
clover.

Would I do damage to my grass if I sprayed a weedkiller on right
before we left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?

nah, you'd just kill it. might as well have a barren brown yarn.
that really eliminates mowing.
lee

Lee, is this Chinese white clover, that is used for a living mulch?
--
- Billy
Old 27-05-2010, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Una wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
Yes, ground ivy. Do you have any more info about this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glechoma_hederacea has some sources.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...homa_hederacea
has 70 images.

I saw all that. I meant specific information about using glechoma as
a flavoring/bittering herb for beer.

Bob
Old 28-05-2010, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Una wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
Yes, ground ivy. Do you have any more info about this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glechoma_hederacea has some sources.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...homa_hederacea
has 70 images.

I saw all that. I meant specific information about using glechoma as
a flavoring/bittering herb for beer.

Bob

I would think that would require brewing trials. I suppose you could get
some neutral beer, like Miller or Bud, and steep the clover over night.
--
- Billy
Old 28-05-2010, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/20/10 3:57 PM, Frank McElrath wrote:
I have a bad clover problem here in the DC area. As much as I hate to use
chemicals, I may have to. We are planning to take a 3 week vacation
starting at the beginning of August.

Would I do damage to my grass if I sprayed a weedkiller on right before we
left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?

Phew! A lot of people are defending clover. But in the present
situation it's a plant growing where is is not wanted. And the present
question is how to be rid of it. Instead of defending clover, advise
McElrath how to remove it without resorting to WMD.

I have two daylilies growing where I don't want them. I don't like the
color of these two. I don't like the fact that they bloom only 2-3
times a year instead of almost constantly like some of my other
daylilies. And I don't like the fact that they are crowded some other
plants that I want to grow in my garden. When I remove AND TRASH these
daylilies, I certainly don't want a herd of daylily defenders trying to
lynch me.

And when McElrath gets rid of his unwanted clover, don't lynch him either.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 28-05-2010, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" writes:

[...]

Clover is the least of my lawn problems.
I used Weed Be Gone this year with pretty good results on all the other
weeds, but it didn't appear to do anything to the clover. So I'd say
Google it. This looks promising:

http://www.bladeslawncare.com/howtokillclover.html

Old 28-05-2010, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 27 May 2010 21:16:29 -0400, wrote:

"David E. Ross" writes:

[...]

Murderers, murderers! g

I didn't actually follow the link - to each his own. My wish is that
someday clover is a friend to you all, not to be eradicated, but who
knows if my wish is a good one?

Bees love white clover - I guess not good if you've got kids. I was
afraid of bees when I was a kid. Now I'm growing old and depend on red
clover to keep night sweats and hot flashes at bay. Works really well
for me.

If it's a bee problem, as soon as you mow the blossoms, no more bees
visiting the clover.

Old 28-05-2010, 05:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

Long ago here someone asked me to give my wild multiflora roses away
instead of killing them.

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/romu1.htm
Old 28-05-2010, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

"David E. Ross" writes:

[...]

I get only yellow clover. It has burrs that are difficult to remove
from my clothing, especially my socks.

Fortunately, my animal has no fur to hold the burrs. See
http://www.rossde.com/Cleo.html. Owners of furry pets often curse
clover because of the burrs. (And don't start a harangue about the
morality of owning animals.)

Old 28-05-2010, 12:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

"David E. Ross" writes:

[...]

Interesting. I'd never heard of yellow clover/burr medic.

Here, the burrs are from something in the wild carrot family.
Old 29-05-2010, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
enigma wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in
:

Frank McElrath wrote:
I have a bad clover problem here in the DC area. As much as I
hate to use chemicals, I may have to. We are planning to take
a 3 week vacation starting at the beginning of August.

Would I do damage to my grass if I sprayed a weedkiller on
right before we left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?

What is wrong with clover? What catastrophe would ensue if you
had clover in your lawn?

well, it's low growing so you don't have to mow as often, it has
flowers that the bees really love, and it doesn't brown out too badly
if it's dry & a tiny bag (half pound) of seed covers 7000 square
foot. horrible stuff, clover...
lee

Yes but clover may increase the drag on a golf ball which may be of
import somewhere.

And those bees sting kids bare feet.

Old 29-05-2010, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bob F wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
enigma wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in
:

Frank McElrath wrote:
I have a bad clover problem here in the DC area. As much as I
hate to use chemicals, I may have to. We are planning to take
a 3 week vacation starting at the beginning of August.

Would I do damage to my grass if I sprayed a weedkiller on
right before we left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?
What is wrong with clover? What catastrophe would ensue if you
had clover in your lawn?
well, it's low growing so you don't have to mow as often, it has
flowers that the bees really love, and it doesn't brown out too badly
if it's dry & a tiny bag (half pound) of seed covers 7000 square
foot. horrible stuff, clover...
lee

Yes but clover may increase the drag on a golf ball which may be of
import somewhere.

And those bees sting kids bare feet.

Got stung that way quite a few times as a kid, but barefoot running onto
chinese chestnuts hurt even worse!
Old 01-06-2010, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote in

t.au:

Lee, is this Chinese white clover, that is used for a living
mulch?

White clover (Trifolium repens). i've never heard it referred to as
*Chinese* white clover, just white clover. it's native to Europe &
was brought her by colonists & has naturalized to all the lower 48 at
least. it can be a cover crop, but i dunno about living mulch. i
suppose so,. as it's not deep rooted.
lee

Old 01-06-2010, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

zxcvbob wrote in
:

Yes, ground ivy. Do you have any more info about this? I'm
pulling out pounds of it from an overgrown flower bed; it's
never been sprayed.

i just got back from NY, & i thought the answer was in the Brewer's
Garden, but there's no mention of ground ivy there at all... so, i
need to go dig out some other books & see if they have specifics.
i did find that stinging nettle make a good bittering agent though.
annoying as they are, that's a really useful plant!
i'll have to get back to you on the ground ivy. the email addy
works, so if it's more than three days remind me. i get sidetracked
awful easily...
lee
Old 01-06-2010, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Billy wrote in

t.au:

Lee, is this Chinese white clover, that is used for a living
mulch?

White clover (Trifolium repens). i've never heard it referred to as
*Chinese* white clover, just white clover. it's native to Europe &
was brought her by colonists & has naturalized to all the lower 48 at
least. it can be a cover crop, but i dunno about living mulch. i
suppose so,. as it's not deep rooted.
lee

http://www.ncsu.edu/sustainable/cover/l_mulch.html

Looks like it should be renewed every 4 years and notice the slug issue.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 01-06-2010, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bob F" wrote in
:

And those bees sting kids bare feet.

so, look where you walk. i managed to get to 55 walking in bare
feet/playing on clover filled lawns (my dad never bought into the
golf course greens lawn thing in the 50s) without getting stung on
the feet. in fact, the only things that have ever stung me were
yellowjackets & wasps, never honeybees. my 10 year old has never been
stung by anything...
the chemicals that kill broadleaf weeds/clover are a hell of a lot
worse for kiddos in bare feet than bee stings anyway!
lee