Old 10-06-2010, 10:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default rats!

I seem to have a family of rats living under my shed, and this is
freaking out my dearest wife!

Is it legal to buy and use rat poison, or do you have to call in a
pest control expert?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Steve J
Old 10-06-2010, 12:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/10/2010 5:04 AM, Steve J wrote:
I seem to have a family of rats living under my shed, and this is
freaking out my dearest wife!

Is it legal to buy and use rat poison, or do you have to call in a
pest control expert?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Steve J

Legal in US. Go to store. If they sell rat poison, buy it.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Steve J wrote:

I seem to have a family of rats living under my shed, and this is
freaking out my dearest wife!

Is it legal to buy and use rat poison, or do you have to call in a
pest control expert?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

The rats took up residense there because there is a source of food
nearby. Are you storing animal food in that shed, feeding birds
nearby, your trash in uncovered cans... critters do not hang around
unless there is a source of food available... check your neighbor's
yards for pig pen habits.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Steve J wrote:

I seem to have a family of rats living under my shed, and this
is
freaking out my dearest wife!

Is it legal to buy and use rat poison, or do you have to call
in a
pest control expert?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

snap traps work well too,
with peanut butter smeared under
and on top of the trip pan (so
they have to work to get it all).

songbird

Old 10-06-2010, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank wrote:
On 6/10/2010 5:04 AM, Steve J wrote:
I seem to have a family of rats living under my shed, and this is
freaking out my dearest wife!

Is it legal to buy and use rat poison, or do you have to call in a
pest control expert?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Steve J

Legal in US. Go to store. If they sell rat poison, buy it.

He's not in the US. Your advice is good otherwise.

The rat poison in the little plastic bags (rats eat through the bag)
is not only very cheap, it's highly effective. Rats never seem to learn
that trick. Funny, as they seem intelligent otherwise.

Jeff

Old 10-06-2010, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"songbird" wrote:

Steve J wrote:

I seem to have a family of rats living under my shed, and this
is
freaking out my dearest wife!

Is it legal to buy and use rat poison, or do you have to call
in a
pest control expert?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

snap traps work well too,
with peanut butter smeared under
and on top of the trip pan (so
they have to work to get it all).

songbird

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...s%3Dgarden&fie
ld-keywords=snap+trap&sprefix=snap+tr

VERY easy to set and place too.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 10, 10:57*am, "songbird" wrote:
Steve J wrote:
I seem to have a family of rats living under my shed, and this
is
freaking out my dearest wife!

Is it legal to buy and use rat poison, or do you have to call
in a
pest control expert?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

* snap traps work well too,
with peanut butter smeared under
and on top of the trip pan (so
they have to work to get it all).

* songbird

I use peanut butter in mouse traps.
On a "dirty jobs" show featuring exterminators, they were placing
unbaited rat traps in the rats runways along walls as they said rats
have poor eyesite and feel along the walls stumbling into the traps.
Poison is fine outdoors but indoors you may have to deal with a
decaying body and its odor.
Glue boards, I don't like, as the animal dies slowly and may chew at
it's leg to free itself.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 11:02:36 -0400, Jeff Thies
wrote:

Frank wrote:
On 6/10/2010 5:04 AM, Steve J wrote:
I seem to have a family of rats living under my shed, and this is
freaking out my dearest wife!

Is it legal to buy and use rat poison, or do you have to call in a
pest control expert?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Steve J

Legal in US. Go to store. If they sell rat poison, buy it.

He's not in the US. Your advice is good otherwise.

The rat poison in the little plastic bags (rats eat through the bag)
is not only very cheap, it's highly effective. Rats never seem to learn
that trick. Funny, as they seem intelligent otherwise.

Killing a few rats won't help, other than giving you a purpose in
life. So long as the food supply remains more will come.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:
Steve J wrote:

I seem to have a family of rats living under my shed, and this
is
freaking out my dearest wife!

Is it legal to buy and use rat poison, or do you have to call
in a
pest control expert?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

snap traps work well too,
with peanut butter smeared under
and on top of the trip pan (so
they have to work to get it all).

songbird

It depends on the situation. Given a head start in good conditions rodents
can breed faster than you can trap.

David

Old 11-06-2010, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Steve J wrote:
I seem to have a family of rats living under my shed, and this is
freaking out my dearest wife!

Is it legal to buy and use rat poison, or do you have to call in a
pest control expert?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Steve J

In asking that question here you have clearly demonstrated that you are not
afraid to think outside the box. There could well be psychics who read
rec.gardens who know where you live, and who know what the law is there
regarding the use of rat poison and freaking wives. Before you start
looking up "wet work" in the yellow pages there is a solution that will save
you from jail and bad karma.

Instead of buying poison or paying for professional control, try comfort
your wife instead. You have to begin by getting yourself into the right
head space. If you can manage it not thinking of her as a pest will help.
This can all be done using natural ingredients and avoiding products (or
members) of the military-industrial complex.

Start with dolphin-friendly chocolates and flowers. Then move on to
biodynamic champagne, followed by scented green candles and a full body
organic massage. Depending on how organic your massage is she may want
treatment several times a week.

David

Old 11-06-2010, 05:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Steve J wrote:
[...]

Sounds as if you've ploughed this furrow before ;O)
--
- Billy
Old 11-06-2010, 08:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

... but they must have a steady and
adaquate food supply or they'll move on. By all your machinations to
rid yourself of rodents it's obvious that you are feeding them.

A rat should be able to find food in any area where a human lives regardless
of cleanliness, water or (visible to humans) food. Rats are great survivors
and anyone who thinks they don't have rats is probably just not seeing them.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

NYC rats are much smarter than country rats...

and just what proof are you using to make such a statement?
I've known many of very intelligent rants; all from the
country.

Donna
in WA

Old 11-06-2010, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Go with the snap traps! Poison works well but with one problem. That
rat can crawl and die in a spot where you can't retrieve him. The smell
is not very pleasant. At least with the trap, you can dispose of him
properly.

Rich

Old 11-06-2010, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:

Go with the snap traps!

Snap traps are cruel... how you like being pegged to the ground to be
eaten alive/starved to death... use live traps, and check them every
day. Too many people exonerate themselves because they use live
traps, but by the time the sicko morons check them all that's left is
a skeleton.

Poison works well but with one problem. That
rat can crawl and die in a spot where you can't retrieve him. The smell
is not very pleasant.

The odor of dead animals occurs anyway (animals die all the time)
but the poisoned animal incurs collateral damage by poisoning raptors,
scavengers, and pets. I'm always amazed at how many of those who rail
loudest about insecticides/chemferts, etc. are the biggest proponents
of animal poisons.

In most cases if people practiced better sanitation habits they'd
never have rodents making their homes in and around private
residenses... it's difficult in cities because of population density
and farmers with livestock will naturally attract rodents and folks
living on large rural properties will have all manner of critters
because that's the critter's natural habitat but folks who live in the
typical detached private residence in a subdivision will attract
rodents because one way or another they are feeding them. If there's
a bird feeder it will attract rodents, if one is feeding a pet they
will also be feeding rodents. It's pretty easy to block entry of
large rodents like squirrels and rats but it's nearly impossible to
bar mice. Anyone who feeds birds will also be feeding squirrels. Rats
can't subsist long on seeds alone, they need meat, rats eat people
food. I feed birds right outside my window, naturally I'm feeding
squirrels too, but I've never seen a rat eating my bird food (mostly
corn and sunflower seed). I've blocked all the places where
squirrels can gain entry but occasionally a field mouse will be brazen
enough to sneak in, it won't last long, I have six cats. The last
time I knew there was a mouse was because I saw six cats surrounding
the fridge... wasn't long before the mouse made a break for it, didn't
get six inches before in one quick motion Mooch scooped it up and
practically decapitated it, the mouse didn't suffer.

Here squirrels are entertainment:
http://i48.tinypic.com/eg22hx.jpg

[IMG] code is On

Rats, Rats, R-A-T-S J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 13 07-08-2003 03:32 AM
Rats and mice Just a little bit Australia 12 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Rats in garden Paul Australia 6 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
[IBC] Tree Rats Louis Brooks Bonsai 0 16-02-2003 05:03 PM
rats in compost Nat United Kingdom 14 31-01-2003 08:18 PM