Old 17-06-2010, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
cj cj is offline

Default groundcover under pines

i have a stand of mature pines( not sure what kind) that i cut the
bottom branches off a few years ago.now that sufficient sunlight reaches
the ground below the pines all kind of weeds have been sprouting up and
i am looking for some type of decorative groundcover that would do well
in i'm guessing an acidic soil.thanks for any advice/input.

cj in s.e michigan
Old 18-06-2010, 11:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

cj wrote:
i have a stand of mature pines( not sure what kind) that i cut the
bottom branches off a few years ago.now that sufficient sunlight reaches
the ground below the pines all kind of weeds have been sprouting up and
i am looking for some type of decorative groundcover that would do well
in i'm guessing an acidic soil.thanks for any advice/input.

From my own experience, azaleas do spectacularly.

I also have a very happy oak leaf hydrangea and a holly and the usual
english ivy.

Perhaps I should prune more, all are over 10' tall and satisfied with
their lot. I suppose that doesn't really count as ground cover, except
for the ivy, which covers whatever it pleases. I used to also have
liverworts growing beneath the pines, but this is more something that
you would have to know was there! Moss would be more noticeable.

Jeff

cj in s.e michigan