Old 06-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Registered User

Default Foxgloves - Will cut seeds develop?

Hi All. My foxgloves were wonderful and now look very messy. The flowers have gone, the seed heads have developed, but are not mature. If I pull up the old plants and store them somewhere, will the seed dry out & be OK to sprinkle about to ensure plants for the year after next? Or do they need ot stay in the ground to dry out? (Seeds currently pinhead size and green in their pods). Thanks in advance for advice.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

PollyWain wrote:

Hi All. My foxgloves were wonderful and now look very messy. The
flowers have gone, the seed heads have developed, but are not mature.
If I pull up the old plants and store them somewhere, will the seed
dry out & be OK to sprinkle about to ensure plants for the year after
next? Or do they need ot stay in the ground to dry out? (Seeds
currently pinhead size and green in their pods). Thanks in advance
for advice.

probably can take the whole
plant up and hang it upside down.

the seeds being so small might
fly around some, so perhaps
be sure the area is protected
from strong breezes (but you
do want dry and some air
movement to help avoid fungus
trouble).

i'd also put a finewoven clean
sheet underneath to catch the
seeds as they are so tiny.

songbird
Old 07-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
PollyWain wrote:

[...]

Thanks Songbird, I'm going to go for it. Thanks for the advice. I'll let everyone know if it works...
Old 08-07-2010, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

PollyWain wrote:
Hi All. My foxgloves were wonderful and now look very messy. The flowers
have gone, the seed heads have developed, but are not mature. If I pull
up the old plants and store them somewhere, will the seed dry out & be
OK to sprinkle about to ensure plants for the year after next? Or do
they need ot stay in the ground to dry out? (Seeds currently pinhead
size and green in their pods). Thanks in advance for advice.

I think you'd have better germination if you let the seeds ripen
naturally before you harvest them. Try it with half, experiment.

gloria p