Old 06-09-2010, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Impact sprinkler

Anyone have any ideas why an impact sprinkler would rotate fine in one
direction, but not return? I have tried varying the water pressure up
and down, checked for debris, tried moving the collars around to
different spots and heights, but the trip pin just sticks on one side.
Any help appreciated!

Chris
Old 06-09-2010, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 6, 1:09*pm, Chris wrote:
Anyone have any ideas why an impact sprinkler would rotate fine in one
direction, but not return? I have tried varying the water pressure up
and down, checked for debris, tried moving the collars around to
different spots and heights, but the trip pin just sticks on one side.
Any help appreciated!

Chris

Think I got it. Looks like one of the arms was slight bent up and was
brushing against the head. This was stopping the rotation just as the
trip pin was getting into position. 2 hours of frustration could have
been avoided with 2 seconds and a pair of pliers.

Chris
Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/6/2010 1:09 PM, Chris wrote:
Anyone have any ideas why an impact sprinkler would rotate fine in one
direction, but not return? I have tried varying the water pressure up
and down, checked for debris, tried moving the collars around to
different spots and heights, but the trip pin just sticks on one side.
Any help appreciated!

Chris

If it is an actual "pin" that is sticking, and you can disassemble to
that point, get some silicone grease from a hardware store, and
lubricate the pin itself. It feels like anything but lubricant (it's
sticky as all get-out) but it works like a charm, and won't wash off.

Tony M.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 6, 4:10*pm, Tony wrote:
On 9/6/2010 1:09 PM, Chris wrote:

Anyone have any ideas why an impact sprinkler would rotate fine in one
direction, but not return? I have tried varying the water pressure up
and down, checked for debris, tried moving the collars around to
different spots and heights, but the trip pin just sticks on one side.
Any help appreciated!

Chris

If it is an actual "pin" that is sticking, and you can disassemble to
that point, get some silicone grease from a hardware store, and
lubricate the pin itself. *It feels like anything but lubricant (it's
sticky as all get-out) but it works like a charm, and won't wash off.

Tony M.

A couple web sites I checked- Rain Bird and Toro- both said that's to
be avoided at all costs. They said it will work for a while, but soon
the lube will start picking up particulates and that can clog the
system badly, or even cause significant early wear on the parts. I
have no experience with the matter in sprinklers, but I do know that
the first thing you do with a rifle fresh from the factory is scrub
every bit of grease off of it, and for the same reason (although
perhaps with somewhat more catastrophic results).

Chris
Old 07-09-2010, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/6/2010 6:05 PM, Chris wrote:
On Sep 6, 4:10 pm, wrote:
On 9/6/2010 1:09 PM, Chris wrote:

[...]

Always best to follow the manufacturer's advice, yeah. My experience
with it was the float in my water softener that was sticking, preventing
it from recharging properly. The manufacturer specifically recommended
silicone grease for that, and it did the trick there. Just trying to
think of something that might help.

Tony M.