Old 11-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Registered User

Default A question on planting seeds

I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether it matters too much if I happen to put too much of a layer of soil over the seeds when the packet specifically says that there should be a "very fine sprinkling"? I have put about half a centimeter of soil over the seeds. Will the seeds still come through?

Also, the packet says that I should put the container into a sealed polythene bag, but I have put them into a propagator instead. Does this matter too much?

Many thanks,

Joseph
Old 12-02-2011, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Joseph P wrote:

I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether it matters too much if I
happen to put too much of a layer of soil over the seeds when the packet
specifically says that there should be a "very fine sprinkling"? I have
put about half a centimeter of soil over the seeds. Will the seeds still
come through?

Normally, the seeds are covered with soil to a depth of 1 and a half
times the diameter of the seed.

--
- Billy
http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

http://peace.mennolink.org/articles/...acegroups.html
http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth...130964689.html

Old 12-02-2011, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 11, 2:10*pm, Joseph P
wrote:
I have put about half a centimeter of soil over the seeds. Will the seeds still
come through?
but I have put them into a propagator instead. Does this
matter too much?

1/2 cm shouldn't matter.

propagator? If you are talking about a nursery flat w/ a propagation/
humidity dome or plastic wrap, you should be fine with that also.
Just watch to ensure it does not get too humid nor too dry and every
once in a while circulate fresh air. I use a light dusting of
cinnamon on my flats. It has been reported to have anti fungal
properties as has tumeric and chamomile tea. The cinnamon seems to
help me but I also use Neem and fans quite a bit in my GH.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 22:10:21 +0000, Joseph P wrote:

I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether it matters too much if I
happen to put too much of a layer of soil over the seeds when the packet
specifically says that there should be a "very fine sprinkling"? I have
put about half a centimeter of soil over the seeds. Will the seeds still
come through?

It's going to be tougher, as I'm guessing these seeds are small and so the
seedlings will be small. It's a race to get tall enough to reach the light
before running out of stored nutrients in the seed.

If the soil is loose, it will probably be ok.

Also, the packet says that I should put the container into a sealed
polythene bag, but I have put them into a propagator instead. Does this
matter too much?

They're trying to prevent the seeds from drying out during germination. If
your propagator has a high relative humidity (better yet, a mist system!) it's
even better. Seedlings in plastic bags have a tendency to damp off.
Having high relative humidity and good air circulation leads to healthier
seedlings.

I typically grow seedlings under an intermittent mist in an area with good
air circulation -- sometimes I help the air circulation out with a fan.

Plain sand as seed cover (or sand and milled sphagnum mix) is also useful in
improving germination.

Old 13-02-2011, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Kay, I'm glad to see that you are still looking over us.

-----

Creative Propagation by Peter Thompson and Josie Owen
(First Edition, 1992)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...stripbooks&fie
ld-keywords=Creative+Propagation&x=15&y=21
(Available from better libraries near you.)

ANNUALS AND BIENNIALS FROM SEED
Standard Method of Sowing Seeds

.. . . problems can be avoided by sowing seeds in ways which are much
easier to manage. The simplest method is based on the principle that a
seed compost should consist of two parts: a lower layer which provides
space for the roots to develop, and a reservoir of water and nutrients
to support their growth, and an upper layer to accommodate the seeds and
provide them with ideal conditions in which they can germinate, and
seedlings can become established. Any good quality potting compost can
be used for the lower layer, but this should be free-draining, and
contain high proportions of fibre to enable it to hold water like a
sponge, and yet drain freely to dispose of surplus water. The upper
layer must consist of a material which is porous and water-retentive,
but free-draining and very stable. Loams and peats do not match these
requirements and are unsuitable in any form. Grits and sands dry out too
rapidly and are not very satisfactory. An ideal material is a porous
grit (similar in consistency to the debris of heavily crushed clay
flower pots). Crushed clay pots have been included in recipes for
potting composts from time to time in the past but are not available to
many of us today. Alternative materials which are easier to obtain
include:

(a) Calcined clay minerals of the kind that are used for cat litter, or
soaking up oil spillages from garage floors, or marketed from time
to time for horticultural use.
(b) Horticultural vermiculite or perlite.
(c) Crushed brick, marketed as a dressing for hard tennis courts.
(d) Crushed tufa, sifted to remove dust.

All of these have the right consistency, they are stable materials which
retain their integrity for a long time and are easy to manage, they are
inert, they hold water and yet drain freely, and produce an environment
for seeds which is moist, well-aerated, and easily penetrated by the
emerging plumules and developing roots.