Old 27-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Registered User

Default Perenial Wallflower Help pls

Just planted these as young plants last year but noticed that they have become very leggy, how do i proceed? feel i should cut them back but unsure as to how far,
Any help welcomed
Old 27-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Andrew View Post
Just planted these as young plants last year but noticed that they have become very leggy, how do i proceed? feel i should cut them back but unsure as to how far,
Any help welcomed
Hi John, I'm assuming you have the purple, green leaved variety called Erysium 'Bowles Mauve' ? These are one of my favourites for mass planting near the sea and they wont be long before they start to flower ! You have 2 options, depending on how leggy the are ?? If very leggy, I would halve them now and that will encourage them to bush out, they will still flower albeit later on. If they are not too bad, let them flower and then about June halve them then.
best wishes Lannerman
Old 27-02-2011, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bud Bud is offline

On 2011-02-27, John Andrew wrote:

Just planted these as young plants last year but noticed that they have
become very leggy, how do i proceed? feel i should cut them back but
unsure as to how far,
Any help welcomed

They should be well established. After they bloom, cut off the seed head
and trim as you like. Though listed as a annual plant they are hardy
enought to withstand way below freeaing temps and stay green during
winter. Love their smell though they are short blooming, darnit.
--
Bud
Old 01-03-2011, 01:56 AM
Registered User