Old 01-03-2011, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default New scientific field will study ecological importance of sounds

"If we disconnect with the sounds of nature, will we continue to respect
and sustain nature?"

http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/resea...kiSoundscap.ht
ml

or

http://thurly.net/0zhb

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

łEvery conflict in the world today has its origin in the
imagination of British map drawers,˛ Author Unknown

Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters wrote:
"If we disconnect with the sounds of nature, will we continue to respect
and sustain nature?"

http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/resea...kiSoundscap.ht
ml

or

http://thurly.net/0zhb

No we will not ever disconnect with natures sounds. I have my iPad's Clock
Radio set to wakeup to natures soundscapes: rain, birds chirping, wind,
flowing water... Now that we have soundscapes recorded humans no longer
need nature.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

I'm hard of hearing but I don't consider it a handicap. I consider it a
blessing! Way too much sound pollution in the world these days.
Especially when my wife is yelling at me..........LOL

WN

Old 01-03-2011, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

"If we disconnect with the sounds of nature, will we continue to respect
and sustain nature?"

http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/resea...kiSoundscap.ht
ml

or

http://thurly.net/0zhb

The sea awoke at midnight from its sleep,
And round the pebbly beaches far and wide
I heard the first wave of the rising tide
Rush onward with uninterrupted sweep;
A voice out of the silence of the deep,
A sound mysteriously multiplied
As of a cataract from the mountain's side,
Or roar of winds upon a wooded steep.
So comes to us at times, from the unknown
And inaccessible solitudes of being,
The rushing of the sea-tides of the soul;
And inspirations, that we deem our own,
Are some divine foreshadowing and foreseeing
Of things beyond our reason or control.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's "The Sound of the Sea":

Old 02-03-2011, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters writes:

"If we disconnect with the sounds of nature, will we continue to respect
and sustain nature?"

Aggh! Don't talk to me about natures sounds.

I have tinnitus and I hear crickets.
All the time.

I'm not sure how long I've had it but one night
lying in bed during a snowfall I started thinking about
how quiet snowfalls make everything. Then I started to
wonder how the crickets could still be chirping in the
middle of the winter.

At least I don't hear a tone.
I'm sure that has to be the worst.