Old 26-03-2011, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What's Your Favorite Hybrid Tomato To Grow?

I was just wondering what your favorite hybrid tomato is that you
grow??? Here in central PA, Jet Star does very well for me. For some
strange reason, I never had much luck growing Early Girl. The yield is
quite low. Better Boy also does very well for me. This season I will
be giving two others a try also. They are, Big Beef and also
Superfantastic. My yellow tomato will be Lemon Boy which I have never
grown before either. Does anyone have any positive or negative
experiences with these new varieties I will be trying this season?

Rich from PA zone 5-6

Old 26-03-2011, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:
I was just wondering what your favorite hybrid tomato is that you
grow??? Here in central PA, Jet Star does very well for me. For some
strange reason, I never had much luck growing Early Girl. The yield is
quite low. Better Boy also does very well for me. This season I will
be giving two others a try also. They are, Big Beef and also
Superfantastic. My yellow tomato will be Lemon Boy which I have never
grown before either. Does anyone have any positive or negative
experiences with these new varieties I will be trying this season?

Rich from PA zone 5-6

Better Boy. I keep trying different varieties and coming back to
this one. Good combination of high yield and great flavor. It wish
if bore a little earlier and had better late-season disease
resistance, but you can't have everything.

This year I'm going to try Better Boy seeds (open-pollinated) that I
saved last year. I'm planting them (and tomatillos) today.

-Bob, zone 4
Old 27-03-2011, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN said:

I was just wondering what your favorite hybrid tomato is that you
grow???

Royesta FFNT
Just a super tomato, attractive to the eye and very fine flavor.

Here in central PA, Jet Star does very well for me. For some
strange reason, I never had much luck growing Early Girl. The yield is
quite low.

Early Girl has an above average chance of BER, in my experience.

My yellow tomato will be Lemon Boy which I have never
grown before either.

Lemon Boy:
Bland, watery (too much seed, not enough flesh)--that's my experience.
But it does make a very pretty addition to a display of garden produce.

I'll stick to my favorite heirlooms for large yellow/orange tomatoes.
It's a toss up between Aunt Gertie's Gold (less orange) or Persimmon
(more orange). Both have very small seed cavities and make amazing
sandwich slices.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 28-03-2011, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 26, 10:13*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
I was just wondering what your favorite hybrid tomato is that you
grow??? *Here in central PA, Jet Star does very well for me. *For some
strange reason, *I never had much luck growing Early Girl. *The yield is
quite low. *Better Boy also does very well for me. *This season I will
be giving two others a try also. *They are, Big Beef and also
Superfantastic. *My yellow tomato will be Lemon Boy which I have never
grown before either. *Does anyone have any positive or negative
experiences with these new varieties I will be trying this season? *

Rich from PA *zone 5-6

I have been very pleased with Big Beef. Vigorous plant, productive,
good sized fruit, very tasty, no problems. If I could have only one
tomato plant this would be it. -- H (Chicago area)
Old 29-03-2011, 02:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Been reading a lot of very good reviews on Big Beef tomatoes. Some say
it's the best tomato developed yet for the home gardener. I have high
expectations for this tomato but only time will tell. Many times a
tomato that does well in one area or a certain type of soil, just don't
do as well for others. Other people say Better Boy is hard to beat as a
mid season cropper. I started all my seeds indoors just this week and
will be using grow lights. They will be set in my garden around May 15.
This year I will be growing my seedlings in the basement of my home
which is cooler than the rest of the house. I will also have a small
fan blowing over them. Hopefully this will produce stocky and healthy
plants

Rich from PA

[IMG] code is On

What's Your Favorite Bell Pepper To Grow? EVP MAN Gardening 9 12-01-2011 05:25 PM
Favorite Tomato Mike Edible Gardening 21 21-12-2009 11:15 PM
Post Your Three Favorite Movies - I Post Facts About You The Magnficent Bastard Gardening 275 10-03-2004 01:47 AM
Post Your Three Favorite Movies Skirmishd Gardening 2 11-01-2004 01:42 AM