Old 14-09-2009, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Favorite Tomato

Every body knows that home grown vine ripened tomatoes are way better than
anything store bought.
The question is out of all the tomatoes you grow at home which one is your
favorite?

Here’s mine:
Care to guess the name of this tomato?
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6549/favoritew.jpg

This is the first tomato I could classify as wow, excellent, delicious, or
very tasty.
The color and texture show some heirloom qualities.

Old 14-09-2009, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Mike" wrote in message

Care to guess the name of this tomato?
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6549/favoritew.jpg
This is the first tomato I could classify as wow, excellent, delicious, or
very tasty.
The color and texture show some heirloom qualities.

We might need an inch scale before deciding this is
a classic beefsteak tomato.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old 14-09-2009, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Mike" wrote in message
Every body knows that home grown vine ripened tomatoes are way better than
anything store bought.
The question is out of all the tomatoes you grow at home which one is your
favorite?

Here's mine:
Care to guess the name of this tomato?
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6549/favoritew.jpg

This is the first tomato I could classify as wow, excellent, delicious, or
very tasty.
The color and texture show some heirloom qualities.

Without a doubt, my favorite is Cherokee Purple. Yours looks like Manapal.
Steve

Old 14-09-2009, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

your both wrong ; )

Old 14-09-2009, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
says...

Every body knows that home grown vine ripened tomatoes are way better than
anything store bought.
The question is out of all the tomatoes you grow at home which one is your
favorite?

Any that survives this year's blight.

Old 15-09-2009, 07:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Mike" wrote:

Every body knows that home grown vine ripened tomatoes are way better than
anything store bought.
The question is out of all the tomatoes you grow at home which one is your
favorite?

Here’s mine:
Care to guess the name of this tomato?
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6549/favoritew.jpg

This is the first tomato I could classify as wow, excellent, delicious, or
very tasty.
The color and texture show some heirloom qualities.

Early Girl.
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
Old 15-09-2009, 10:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mike said:

Every body knows that home grown vine ripened tomatoes are way better
than anything store bought.

The question is out of all the tomatoes you grow at home which one is
your favorite?

I have trouble deciding between Aunt Gertie's Gold and Persimmon.
Orange Strawberry is very good eating, too, but the seedling plants are not
vigorous and it seems excessively prone to BER and cracking.

For a red (well, deep pink) tomato, Kosovo. Sweet, yet complex.

And for a cherry, I like SunSugar. Everybody I serve them to loves them.
(They are very much like Sun Gold in flavor but not as prone to splitting.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 15-09-2009, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Mike" wrote in message
Every body knows that home grown vine ripened tomatoes are way better than
anything store bought.
The question is out of all the tomatoes you grow at home which one is your
favorite?

Here's mine:
Care to guess the name of this tomato?
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6549/favoritew.jpg

This is the first tomato I could classify as wow, excellent, delicious, or
very tasty.
The color and texture show some heirloom qualities.

My current favorites are Yellow Brandywine and Atchins, I raised
a lot of Black Krim and Cherokee purple this year but found them
too grainy textured for my taste.

I believe that the Yellow Brandywine is the best tomato I have ever
eaten, however they are not very good for canning.

basilisk

Old 15-09-2009, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 08:07:30 -0500, "basilisk"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
Every body knows that home grown vine ripened tomatoes are way better than
anything store bought.
The question is out of all the tomatoes you grow at home which one is your
favorite?

Here's mine:
Care to guess the name of this tomato?
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6549/favoritew.jpg

This is the first tomato I could classify as wow, excellent, delicious, or
very tasty.
The color and texture show some heirloom qualities.

My current favorites are Yellow Brandywine and Atchins, I raised
a lot of Black Krim and Cherokee purple this year but found them
too grainy textured for my taste.

I believe that the Yellow Brandywine is the best tomato I have ever
eaten, however they are not very good for canning.

basilisk

I'm a fan of First Ladies and Bradley's - grown by seed, not the store
bought plants that aren't really Bradley's anymore.

My current favorite is a Roma, as that's what's producing in my
garden.

Old 15-09-2009, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:25:58 -0400, phorbin
wrote:

In article ,

says...

Every body knows that home grown vine ripened tomatoes are way better than
anything store bought.
The question is out of all the tomatoes you grow at home which one is your
favorite?

Any that survives this year's blight.

Ain't that the truth! This year has been a disaster for our tomatoes.
We normally can anywhere from 30 to as many as 80 liters each summer
but this year we don't have enough to bother putting the kettle on.
As far as the original question, we don't have any one favourite
tomato. All the heirloom varieties we grow are excellent.
There's a picture of some of them from a previous year at
http://tinypic.com/r/2lu8ihi/3
The Hillbilly (also known as Flame) in the center of the picture
weighed 968 grams (over 2 pounds).

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West

My Porter tomatoes are hardly affected by the blight. They are lush and
healthy and about 7 feet tall. (no ripe fruit yet.) I also planted
Legend, which is supposed to be Late Blight resistant, and the plants
are bout dead but I've picked about 2 dozen wonderful tomatoes, and
there's another dozen nice fruit on the dying plants.

I'll plant the Porters again next year, and get them in the ground
earlier and a little more space between the plants (they are kind of
crowded now.) Not sure if I'll plant Legend again, but if I do I'll
keep 'em sprayed with a fungicide. They taste good enough they are
probably worth another try.

If I was smart, I would give up on tomatoes and devote a lot more space
to tomatillos. They grow so much better here and have no disease or
pest problems. (I don't even plant them, I just select a few volunteers
every year and transplant them)

Bob
Old 15-09-2009, 05:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Mike said:

[...]

For a cherry tomato I love Chocolate Cherry from Park's. I had my own
plants, but the local farmer's market wholesale section had them for $25 a
peck. They're like a miniature Cherokee Purple.
Steve

Old 15-09-2009, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Mike" wrote in message
Every body knows that home grown vine ripened tomatoes are way better than
anything store bought.
The question is out of all the tomatoes you grow at home which one is your
favorite?

I am new to heirlooms, but of the six I grew this year, I was most partial
to Yellow Stuffer. It looks like a bright yellow pepper, it has a very
small clump of seeds so it's a cinch to de-seed it, and it has a really
crisp texture. It's hollow in the middle, so all you eat is the outer
flesh. I liked its color and flavor in my salads, and I appreciated having
a really firm home-grown tomato. My kids liked Garden Peach because it's
small, fuzzy, and wildly abundant.

Here's mine:
Care to guess the name of this tomato?
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6549/favoritew.jpg

Is it Tigerella?
--S.

Old 15-09-2009, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Oh well, it looks like no one gets the cookie this time ; )

It's a Rutgers Tomato!

The plant also had good yield and growth with all the fruits finishing up
nearly at the same time.

More on the Rutgers Tomato:

Rutgers is an old open pollenated variety that excells as a canning tomato
variety or as a slicer. It was originally developed by a Rutgers University
scientist named Lyman G. Schermerhorn in co-operation with the Campbell's
Soup Company in 1934. The Rutgers Tomato was developed by crossing Marglobe
with a variety called JTD.

As time went on, Rutgers became the most famous tomato worldwide and once
made up over 70% of the tomatoes being processed in the United States. The
Rutgers Tomato put the State of New Jersey on the map for tomato production
which at one time was the leading state in tomato production (today that
honor is held by California).

Due to its close association with New Jersey, the Rutgers Tomato was also
sometimes known as the Jersey Tomato.

Produces intense, red colored, round tomato fruits that grow on strong
vines. Rutgers is a popular variety that will easily supply the most Tomato
Hungry household with an abundance of tomatoes. After all these years, it is
still one of the best!

Of particular note, when NASA sent tomato seeds into space, the Rutger's
Tomato (supplied by Parks Seed Co.) was the variety they used in the Seeds
In Space program.

What's Your Favorite Hybrid Tomato To Grow? EVP MAN Gardening 4 29-03-2011 02:21 PM
Favorite Magazine [email protected] Edible Gardening 18 18-03-2003 12:44 PM
Favorite Plants?? LeeAnne Gardening 34 17-03-2003 11:56 AM
Favorite perennial vines? Elizabeth North Carolina 13 08-03-2003 02:08 AM
UT Roland's Favorite Soil Amendment Theory was, More Better Blooms Shiva Roses 14 08-02-2003 04:14 AM